yet another non trad here ! Please give me your experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

penicillinman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long post here – so thank you for reading! I have been a long time reader on these forums and find it really amazing to read everyones struggles and the will power you all have! Also will put this out there – I realize this is a forum and one can not make life changing decisions based on a forum. My intention however is just to see what everyone thinks about my situation and to see if any of you were in a similar situation/what experience you had.

I was born and raised in Africa and now settled in the US (green card holder). I am a hospital pharmacist by profession but have always wanted to do Medicine. Growing up in Africa in a circle of poverty, I had big dreams and my plan of being the best possible person I can was by being a doctor – I was always fascinated at how I would go in as a sick child to a Dr and they would know exactly what is wrong with me – magic ! As I grew up I realized I needed to get out of Africa and what better place than find my dreams in the USA ! I have always excelled academically and that was my ticket out – ofcourse I quickly realized that there was no way in heck a poor international student like myself would ever get into a medical school in the USA. My plan than as an 18 year old was that “ I’ll get to America and figure it out”. My way out of Africa was by getting a scholarship to do pharmacy in an American school. I did not see myself as a pharmacist from day 1 of pharmacy school however after doing my research I realized that I needed to become a US resident in order to have a good chance to get into med school here. Heck, I was already in the US and doing pharmacy – may as well finish it – work for a few years and than go to medical school. It all seemed so easy back than! Mind you, all through pre pharmacy and pharmacy school I could not see myself being a pharmacist forever ! So I finished school four years ago started this high paying profession and finally got my green card a year ago ! Along the way I got married and have two beautiful children as well !! I make good money, my wife is able to stay home raise my children and by most peoples standards this could be called ‘success’. Problem is I still don’t like pharmacy and dream of being a doctor every single day! Ofcourse working with doctors on a daily basis dosent make it any easier. Ive tried convincing myself several times that going back to med school is not an option, ive gone over all the lost income but I still go back to dreaming of the ultimate accomplishment in life – being a physician. The one think that makes me stop and think again is the absolutely huge impact this is going to have on my wife and kids. Right now I can give my kids a great life – a life I never had as a child, and If I go to med school I will not be able to do that atleast for 10 years. Will I regret it !? Have you regretted it ?! On the other side of the coin, If I remain a pharmacist all my life – I will always feel like I let myself down. Tough choice. I am now 29 yrs old so I figure If I were to follow my passion, earliest I can start would be 32 plus 10 years is 42 – should I even attempt this ? Would you or have you ? What impact did it have on your family, do you regret it ? are you happy with your decision ?
As far as academic stats go – through primary and secondary school ( US elementary and high school) I was always rank 1 out of a class of about 120. My prepharmacy GPA is 4.0 and my pharmacy school GPA is 3.92. I haven’t taken any physics in the US but I have done all the way through calculus based physics in Africa ( I understand I will still have to redo this at state side college).

Members don't see this ad.

There are a lot of factors to weigh here, but ultimately it comes down to what you think you will be most happy doing. And your post makes it sound like that would be doing medicine.

Being a student again (and being a doctor down the line) will be much more hectic that your current life. Beginning a new career always involves a certain willingness to throw yourself into the unknown. You really have to be sure that this is what you want.

I would advise you to think carefully about a) what makes you happy and b) what it is about your current life that is not allowing you to fully realize that happiness. I understand that you have wanted to be a doctor since you were young, but you are no longer the person you once were. Do you feel like you are compelled to be a doctor because your younger self thought that would be best for you? Or has the older, more mature father that you are, after weighing all possible options, decided that medicine is best? Only you can know this, and the first step down the path to becoming a doctor is first arriving at a clear answer.

If you decide that being a doctor is what you want, throw yourself into it and do not look back. Applying to medical school and giving up a firm career involves a leap into the unknown and you have to have faith that who you have become and where you have been will support you during this time. It is a long road to becoming a doctor, so it's important to derive some satisfaction from the process as much as the destination. You want to provide materially for your family, but realize that blazing a new trail towards personal and professional fulfillment can also supply your children with hope and inspiration. Discuss with your wife and if you do decide to travel this path, do so together and with a full realization that relocation/changes in lifestyle may be necessary.

There is no right answer here! Pharmacists and doctors both do great work. Look within yourself, clarify your needs and dreams, and then act with resolution. Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 user
To me it already sounds like you have made a decision about the path you want to take. Juldarus was much more eloquent then what I could write. But, I too dreamed of becoming a physician since I was young. That path got derailed and only after a long time did I find my way back onto the path of becoming a physician. I too am leaving a fairly good job as a firefighter/paramedic where I am at least guaranteed a job as long as I pass the yearly physical requirements. The path to becoming a physician will require a significant commitment from your family which is an important factor to consider. One thing you could always do is finish your prerequisite courses part time, change your life style so that you can bank as much money as possible while you start towards the path of becoming a physician. It might put your time line out a little further but in the end it might make that transition to a full time medical student a little less stressful. I am starting the whole full time student thing next summer when I go to Rocky Vista Univ. at age 39. So don't let the age thing get in your way. Really it is about whether you can handle the stress on your life and whether you and your family understands the stress and commitment medical school is going to require.

Reactions: 1 user