Yet another exhilarating "should I postpone Step 1" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FluffyCat1212

Bored med student in the frozen north
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Despite my best efforts to the contrary, like half my school knows who I am on here. Because of that, I just wanted to kick this off with an obligatory "if you know me IRL, no you don't" header.

Okay, I know that this forum is saturated with these posts, but here's yet another "should I push my Step 1 date back" post. Because I understand that these can get tedious and because I'm feeling a little spicy, I'm going to try to make this as un-agonizing to read as possible. Unfortunately, I think a little agony is inevitable, so please bear with me.

I'm currently working with approximately 3 functioning neurons (+/- 2) after doing 7 testing blocks s/p several consecutive nights of sleep deprivation. I really really hope this makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't and I'll go get another energy drink or take a nap or something.

I am currently scheduled to take step on May 4th. I'm taking it in my hometown (due to poor planning skills...). so plane tickets are booked and everything else is ready to go...except maybe me.

Anyway, the part you've been waiting for....the practice test scores.

3/27- UWorld SA 1
: 50% correct, rough conversion of 199
4/15- NBME 28: 68% correct (rough score conversion: 203, predicted 97% chance of passing)
4/22- NBME 30: ALSO 68% correct (see above...ugh) + 1 UWorld Block (65% correct, 3% over the average) + 2 AMBOSS blocks (54%, 62% correct)
4/27- UWorld SA2 + Free 120 (+ probably 3 AMBOSS blocks to replicate the length of the actual test): TBD, obviously

Those really fun calculators that you can find by neurotically googling "NBME step 1 score conversion" all have me at passing with a borderline score. The fancy predictor has me passing with a super "meh" score. Good news: nobody cares about the score. Bad news: idk how much risk is reasonable to tolerate with this.

I don't usually struggle with tests, so this has been quite the adventure. My study methods have changed a few times since starting dedicated on March 27, but I think I've found one that I like...or at least I did until I saw exactly zero improvement between my last two NBMEs. So...I guess back to the drawing board for the final sprint (if it actually ends up being the final sprint at all).

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for micro or pharm resources, please lmk. For some reason, my brain holds microbiology about as well as mycoplasma pneumoniae holds gram stain.

Well that was agonizing to write, so I hope it wasn't too agonizing to read.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I would postpone. It's just not worth the risk since you are only about a week out.

Personally, I would postpone. It's just not worth the risk since you are only about a week out.
I'm really hesitant to postpone because dedicated has been miserable and I'm not sure when a good time to take it would be. However, you definitely have a point and I will strongly consider postponing it. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
The NBME score gives you a sense of the values you could see from your exam within 1 standard deviation (+/- 4%). If it provides a 97% chance to pass on two separate occasions, it reduces the SD further. The pass range tends to be between 63-65% from what I understand.

In other words, from a projection standpoint, roughly 39/40 to 49/50 simulations have you passing. I would take that into account within your personal context and decide through logic (not fear) what you want to do.

The NBME score gives you a sense of the values you could see from your exam within 1 standard deviation (+/- 4%). If it provides a 97% chance to pass on two separate occasions, it reduces the SD further. The pass range tends to be between 63-65% from what I understand.

In other words, from a projection standpoint, roughly 39/40 to 49/50 simulations have you passing. I would take that into account within your personal context and decide through logic (not fear) what you want to do.
Thank you so much. That's a good way to look at it.

Waiting to see how tomorrow's practice tests go, then making the final call from that.

OK, so I took a couple of practice tests today and I'm not quite sure what to make of them...

66% on UWSA (correlating to roughly a 224 per UWorld)
68% on the Free 120 (75/63/68).

I did them both back-to-back to simulate a full test day. I hadn't intended to look at my UWorld score before doing the Free 120, but during the 1st break, I accidentally clicked over to the UWorld tab and saw the 66% (not the numerical score). I was devastated because I thought that it meant (without a doubt) that I would have to push the exam back.

I was in an awful headspace for much of the second block of the Free 120, so I'm not sure how much weight to put on that score. I looked at the numerical score and managed to pull myself together for the third block.

Okay, I took it. Big yikes.

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Okay, I took it. Big yikes.

I've noticed that people who think they bonked turn out to do better than they think. It's the people who think they did okay who worry me.

I chalk it up to the fact that you recognise the nuances much better. My fingers are crossed!

Reactions: 1 user
I've noticed that people who think they bonked turn out to do better than they think. It's the people who think they did okay who worry me.

I chalk it up to the fact that you recognise the nuances much better. My fingers are crossed!
Thank you so much!!! It definitely was not a good time, but at least it's over for now.

For future students questioning their readiness to sit step, just wanted to add that I passed :)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users