Yet another ERAS question...(HELP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FoughtFyr

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, all of these ERAS questions are getting old, but hey, there really is no good, comprehensive guide, so would you ED residents who've gone before us indulge one more question?

I have done one away rotation in EM, which generated three strong LoRs. I will be doing another EM "away" in October. I also have two letters from non-EM faculty at my school (we have no EM residency or well known EM faculty so I did not do an EM rotation here). Should I submit two of the EM letters now (and one non-EM), and add a fourth after my Oct. rotation? Or should I submit one EM and one non-EM and wait? Will schools look at more than one letter from the same rotation? (One of them is a "composite" letter by the head of the elective...) I want to get as much of a "jump" on things as I can b/c some of the programs I want are probably a stretch for my credentials. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

- H

Members don't see this ad.

My opinion is to not even bother with the letter in Oct. Most of the interview spots will be gone by then (with a few more once the Dean's Letter comes out). I'd say go full force by giving all four LORs now.

Get a LOR from your place in Oct but keep it in your file for that place specifically.

I did an EM elective in Nov... could have easily gotten letters but it woudl have been way too late for me. October is pushing it, but still on the cusp. September, I would say go for it. So Oct is the borderilne month, I think.

I'd say go all out now and get your full app in NOW. Others may disagree.

Q, DO