yet another balancing reaction question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qkchen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi guys,

i have to trouble you with yet another redox balancing question:

K2Cr2O7 + HCl --> KCl + CrCl3 + (1 molecule water) + Cl2

i can balance the straightforward looking ones but this one has too many things going on. i was wondering if anyone would be kind enough once again to provide some step-by-step process to tackle these more complex redox reactions. thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe this is the correct answer. Someone correct me if I am wrong:

K2Cr2O7 + 14 HCl --------------→ 2 KCl + 2 CrCl3 + 7 H20 + 3 Cl2

The trick is to pick something (Cl for example), and balance that. Then build your way up to the others (at least that is how I do it).

yes, that is the correct answer.

did you balance this by using two redox reactions (reduction and oxidation)?

I believe this is the correct answer. Someone correct me if I am wrong:

K2Cr2O7 + 14 HCl --------------→ 2 KCl + 2 CrCl3 + 7 H20 + 3 Cl2

The trick is to pick something (Cl for example), and balance that. Then build your way up to the others (at least that is how I do it).

Nope. I just played around with it. I pick something and try to balance that first. Then once that is balanced, something else is likely to become unbalanced. Then I balance that, so on and so forth. Its helpful to write out the entire reaction, then write the numbers above the reaction that way incase you make a mistake, you can just scratch the numbers out or erase them instead of writing out the entire reaction again. Did that make sense at all ha? When I took Kaplan thats pretty much the approach I was given. Just keep practicing them and you'll be able to bang these types of problems out in no time.