Yet another "am I qualified" thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Plutarch12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before you all ask, yes I've read the FAQ and I've read the NRMP data, but it's hard to judge based on just one variable (Step 1 score) how competitive my application is.

Step 1: 234
State medical school
3rd year grades: All HP except for H in neuro and psych.
Research: none
Letters - One from dean of medicine, one from OBGYN staff, working on getting one from AI staff and dept of radiology head from my school

I realize I'm not going to match any big name programs, but what are my odds of matching somewhere? How many programs should I apply to? What are good programs for someone with my stats? Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Before you all ask, yes I've read the FAQ and I've read the NRMP data, but it's hard to judge based on just one variable (Step 1 score) how competitive my application is.

Step 1: 234
State medical school
3rd year grades: All HP except for H in neuro and psych.
Research: none
Letters - One from dean of medicine, one from OBGYN staff, working on getting one from AI staff and dept of radiology head from my school

I realize I'm not going to match any big name programs, but what are my odds of matching somewhere? How many programs should I apply to? What are good programs for someone with my stats? Thanks in advance for your help!
I think you absolutely should be able to match somewhere, provided you get good letters and interview well. I think mid-tier academic and pretty much all community programs should be within your reach. Just make sure you apply early (Sept 1!) and broadly...I would probably aim to apply to around 40 programs if you stick with lower/mid tier academic and community programs.

Agree with above. You won't end up at MGH but you know... **** it, who does. If you apply broadly enough and interview well, you can definitely end up at a low/mid tier academic place or a solid community spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
what does it take to be seriously competitive at upper echelon programs? recently considering matching into radiology. any thoughts.

Step 1: 260+
State School
MD/PhD - decent publication record (not research related to radiology)
No clinicals yet (starting M3 soon)
Would love to have some type of radiology research, but department is pretty weak in the research area.

what does it take to be seriously competitive at upper echelon programs? recently considering matching into radiology. any thoughts.

Step 1: 260+
State School
MD/PhD - decent publication record (not research related to radiology)
No clinicals yet (starting M3 soon)
Would love to have some type of radiology research, but department is pretty weak in the research area.
All you need to do is get good grades in your clinical year and you'll be considered very competitive, even for top tier programs. Assuming your LORs are good and you have no felonies, of course.

my internal debate now is whether to try and find some radiology research to get involved with during 3rd and 4th year or not really worry about (esp considering the quality or even availability of rads research at my school).

my internal debate now is whether to try and find some radiology research to get involved with during 3rd and 4th year or not really worry about (esp considering the quality or even availability of rads research at my school).

Don't do it. You don't need it. It will be a huge sacrifice for minimal impact. Focus on clinical grades, as excellent clinical grades are profoundly more important than any additional research would be.

Don't do it. You don't need it. It will be a huge sacrifice for minimal impact. Focus on clinical grades, as excellent clinical grades are profoundly more important than any additional research would be.

I don't necessarily agree with this. Depends on how you are able to work. I got involved in a decent sized project my M3 year and don't feel it affected my grades. if anything, it helped reinforce that yes, I did want to do radiology... and the project ended up being asked about a lot on the interview trail (not saying it was what got me interviews/matched, but it at least didn't hurt). Even if you're the type who needs to focus 100% on clerkships, I think something as small as a case report is feasible while also being helpful enough on a CV

I think one of the important aspects of applying in Radiology is region. Private firms, hospitals are more familiar with the local training. I made a list when I was considering radiology and decided that 45 programs would be a good number.

I don't necessarily agree with this. Depends on how you are able to work. I got involved in a decent sized project my M3 year and don't feel it affected my grades. if anything, it helped reinforce that yes, I did want to do radiology... and the project ended up being asked about a lot on the interview trail (not saying it was what got me interviews/matched, but it at least didn't hurt). Even if you're the type who needs to focus 100% on clerkships, I think something as small as a case report is feasible while also being helpful enough on a CV

Would agree with this if it weren't for the fact that the person asking whether or not to do research already has a PhD.

He/she could just get involved with the department after third year. I think the best thing any applicant can do for their app is get the best 3rd year grades possible, particularly if other things are in line (as they seem to be in this case).

Would agree with this if it weren't for the fact that the person asking whether or not to do research already has a PhD.

He/she could just get involved with the department after third year. I think the best thing any applicant can do for their app is get the best 3rd year grades possible, particularly if other things are in line (as they seem to be in this case).

totally overlooked the PhD, nvm then

thanks to everyone for reading and commenting and advising. focusing on clinical grades for M3 and not trying to get involved in any basic science radiology research is what I was thinking of. a case report or something similar is definitely in the cards as this will not take up a tremendous amount of time. my main concern was the potential disadvantage for top programs (Penn, MGH, JHU, etc) in not having radiology specific research. too me this is meaningless, as a PhD has prepared me (IMHO) to work in whatever clinical field. I am restricted geographically to the east coast and would really like to have a shot at a really good program. thanks again everyone.