Yesterday, I was contacted to verify a LOR I wrote for medical school...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n3xa

"the anchor"
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
...the problem? I have never written a letter for a student for medical school.

In February 2009 I submitted a letter for one of my students to Interfolio for a summer research program. All quiet on the western front... until yesterday, when I received a facebook message from the chair of the department where I did my graduate work (oh, social networking!) inquiring that 1.) I wrote a letter for said student and 2.) that the letter was in fact for medical school. The student apparently wrote to the department recently asking to re-print my letter on university stationary because without it, AMCAS doesn't accept it.

According to the replies that the department chair received afterwards, the student honestly feels entitled to use my letter repeatedly at his/her own disposal for whatever program he/she pleases from now until forever. The student demanded to talk to someone else in the department, but never once asked for my contact info. IS THIS REAL LIFE OR IS IT JUST FANTA SEA?

I've been a bit wary of posting my dramallama on here, but I felt that there's some sort of relevant lesson in all of this. I have never come across a situation like this and if anyone has, please share.

In my ten years of trolling academia it was always considered proper etiquette to ask and ask way early in advance so the LOR writer can do an interview/look at your CV/PS/grades/whatever. And why would anyone want to use a letter that wasn't written specifically for the program in question, and an old letter at that?!?! :confused:

/rant

Members don't see this ad.

I think your reaction is justified! However, I wonder what the scope of the original letter covered, and the intended audience? It's a stretch, but maybe giving this student the benefit of the doubt and assume it is for a research LOR requirement like we have at CCLCM and not some other strangeness, until proven otherwise?

Still, their apparent reaction and lack of just plain graceful tact leaves a bad taste. Ugh...what do you plan to do?

Sent from my Android phone using Tapatalk

I think your reaction is justified! However, I wonder what the scope of the original letter covered, and the intended audience? It's a stretch, but maybe giving this student the benefit of the doubt and assume it is for a research LOR requirement like we have at CCLCM and not some other strangeness, until proven otherwise?

Still, their apparent reaction and lack of just plain graceful tact leaves a bad taste. Ugh...what do you plan to do?

I guess I could give the student the benefit of the doubt, but then my next question would be, why not try to get a letter from the person you did the summer research program with (assuming the student got in, as I never heard from the person again until now). Or how about an upper-division science class? I taught general chemistry lab+discussion that semester and I believe it was along the lines of, "the student received an A in my class, yay?"

One suggestion was to make a note in there that this letter was written in support for a summer research program and not medical school and let the adcoms do as they will with it. I think I need a minute to think things through, as I am kind of irked by this and the urgency of this student's request is making it worse.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a believer in honesty in this case. You wrote the letter in 2009 for a research program application and did not know it was going to be used for medical school admission. That is the truth and nothing more.

Let the rest of the chips fall where they may.

Personally, I would have the school tell him no and offer your contact info.

If the student wants your recommendation, make them ask for it; now not years ago.

I can't believe anything you wrote back them, that wasn't even on letterhead, could be the caliber that a medical school expects anyways. I've seen exactly one of my 5 LOR's, and that is because she offered me a copy AFTER she submitted to Interfolio. I assume the others are on the same level as she is affiliated with a medical school, and there is no way a casual or non-specific LOR would cut it.

Urgency on the part of the student does NOT constitute an actual emergency for you. Take your time. If they thought this through, it would not be happening like this.

Also, I misinterpreted "for a summer research program". I took this to mean, you wrote it at the end of a summer program. My bad.

I figure you owe this person nothing. I would agree more with shyrem now - let the chips fall. I wouldn't offer to resubmit it. I would tell your old institution to have them get back to you.

Personally, I would have the school tell him no and offer your contact info.

If the student wants your recommendation, make them ask for it; now not years ago.

I can't believe anything you wrote back them, that wasn't even on letterhead, could be the caliber that a medical school expects anyways. I've seen exactly one of my 5 LOR's, and that is because she offered me a copy AFTER she submitted to Interfolio. I assume the others are on the same level as she is affiliated with a medical school, and there is no way a casual or non-specific LOR would cut it.

My initial was response was indeed NO :nono: and I offered up my email address. Too bad the icon doesn't include a lil neck swing action.. :p

That's when the student then proceeded to request to speak to someone else in the department (and not me?) about the issue and suggested that my letter might be used in the future for various other things. The department chair is basically playing messenger here. Hence the suggestion that ShyRem and my department chair recommended by adding a note that I had no idea that this letter was going to be used for medical school and I wrote it in sort of support for a summer program in 2009.

And why would anyone want to use a letter that wasn't written specifically for the program in question, and an old letter at that?!?! :confused:
I have absolutely no idea! Unless they just don't have very many good sources (newer, higher division science classes, research, shadowed doctor, pre-medical committee, etc) to pull from, but even then I would expect them to contact you again and ask for a new LOR.

I am a believer in honesty in this case. You wrote the letter in 2009 for a research program application and did not know it was going to be used for medical school admission. That is the truth and nothing more.

Let the rest of the chips fall where they may.
Agree completely.

N3xa, the fact that the student did not come to you in the first place just confirms your (and our) suspicion that they are trying to pull a fast one.

Yeah, I got some food, rest, and a manicure* before telling the department chair to re-print the letter with the disclaimer that I wrote it in regards for a summer research program in 2009 and that I had no idea it was going to be used for medical school or for future programs, as the student did suggest that the letter might be used in the future too.

My guess was that the letter was already submitted to AMCAS and he was notified that it wasn't on official letterhead. Whatever, not my problem no mo'.

Also:

72827glidecat4854547.gif

* - I did it myself. I'm broke as a joke, people!