YES you CAN get into pharmacy school without stellar stats!! MICHIGAN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajmataz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got the acceptance letter from University of Michigan today!! I had my @ss handed to me by all other schools I applied to - a total of eight rejection letters without interview.

U of Mich. looked beyond just the GPA and PCAT scores and lucky for me, reviewed the entire application as a whole.

Undergrad in Biology and Biochemistry
GPA 2.88

5 quarters at Community College
GPA 3.66

PCAT
October 73
January 84

These numbers aren't impressive by any means. If your stats are similar to mine, don't give up. Find your niche in whatever you are doing and be the best at it, then apply it to your application. I did a little of the laboratory and hospital research route a couple quarters, but really stressed my experience as a personal trainer in my application.

Best wishes to all of you!! Keep your head up.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for sharing! :)

Best of luck on your future endeavors in Pharm school.

Aww.. congratulations! Thanks for giving us more hope.

Members don't see this ad :)
ajmataz said:
I just got the acceptance letter from University of Michigan today!! I had my @ss handed to me by all other schools I applied to - a total of eight rejection letters without interview.

U of Mich. looked beyond just the GPA and PCAT scores and lucky for me, reviewed the entire application as a whole.

GPA 2.88

GPA 3.66

PCAT
October 73
January 84

These numbers aren't impressive by any means. If your stats are similar to mine, don't give up. Find your niche in whatever you are doing and be the best at it, then apply it to your application. I did a little of the laboratory and hospital research route a couple quarters, but really stressed my experience as a personal trainer in my application.

did you have a ton of pharm experience that titled the acceptance in your favor? or did you just stress the research and personal training in your app and interview?

but wow, congrats man. michigan is a great school

doublehh03 said:
did you have a ton of pharm experience that titled the acceptance in your favor? or did you just stress the research and personal training in your app and interview?

but wow, congrats man. michigan is a great school

actually, the only direct pharmacy experience i had was immediately after undergrad, where i did an internship under a clinical research PharmD. after that, i took a break from the medical field and worked for two and a half years as a personal trainer and nutritionist.

and michigan doesn't have interviews... :oops:

ajmataz said:
actually, the only direct pharmacy experience i had was immediately after undergrad, where i did an internship under a clinical research PharmD. after that, i took a break from the medical field and worked for two and a half years as a personal trainer and nutritionist.

and michigan doesn't have interviews... :oops:

what schools did you apply to? if i may ask

ForeverPharm said:
what schools did you apply to? if i may ask

Rejected without interview by the following:

Palm Beach
USN
Washington State - i turned the app last minute on time, they filed it late.
U.Wash - GPA
U.Minn - GPA
Idaho State
Butler - PCAT
UIC
Ferris - low waislist

so let me tell you, i was at a low after receiving all these rejections...

i'm still in disbelief. it hasn't sunken in yet. and sometimes i question if i deserve the acceptance. but i'm thrilled regardless.

ajmataz said:
Rejected without interview by the following:

Palm Beach
USN
Washington State - i turned the app last minute on time, they filed it late.
U.Wash - GPA
U.Minn - GPA
Idaho State
Butler - PCAT
UIC
Ferris - low waislist

so let me tell you, i was at a low after receiving all these rejections...

i'm still in disbelief. it hasn't sunken in yet. and sometimes i question if i deserve the acceptance. but i'm thrilled regardless.

You deserve it, believe that you do

I'm in the same situation as yours. your stats are actualy very close to mine. I had to work 35-42 hours a week, while being full time student.
and applying for about 4 schools 2 of which you mentioned, WSU and Idaho state.

Good luck and I hope you have a good experience

ajmataz said:

GPA 2.88

GPA 3.66

PCAT
October 73
January 84

How about your science GPA?. i believe that the science gpa even more importance than the overal gpa.