yes or no on postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clairvoy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Longtime lurker, first time poster. Deeply appreciate all the time and tidbits people have offered; and thank you in advance for those who respond to this thread!

I'm considering a post bac and unsure whether it is right for me. Would like to try for Allopathic route. The usual details:

Undergrad GPA: 3.76 (disclaimer: replacement grades used for 1 class, and academic renewel on a bad semester -- without, it would be more like 3.56), cell bio and microbio double major at a large state school
Science GPA: 3.54 (I included grades from that bad semester into this GPA since AMCAS does, also includes independent study/thesis in biology, not sure if that strictly counts in AMCAS)
MCAT: 34
X factors: work at a large international public health agency, published twice, good CV

Key points: Failed physics 1 and a subsequent C at a community college when I retook; all other core science classes have been As, Bs etc. Would like to be competitive enough for some allopathic programs and possibly be considered for top schools. Hoping to apply this 2012 cycle.

Would you recommend doing a quick post bacc this summer focusing on physics, chem (a few B's, a C in high school ccollege credit), prior to submitting amcas?

Many thanks in advance, and hoppy holidays =)

Members don't see this ad.

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Deeply appreciate all the time and tidbits people have offered; and thank you in advance for those who respond to this thread!

I'm considering a post bac and unsure whether it is right for me. Would like to try for Allopathic route. The usual details:

Undergrad GPA: 3.76 (disclaimer: replacement grades used for 1 class, and academic renewel on a bad semester -- without, it would be more like 3.56), cell bio and microbio double major at a large state school
Science GPA: 3.54 (I included grades from that bad semester into this GPA since AMCAS does, also includes independent study/thesis in biology, not sure if that strictly counts in AMCAS)
X factors: work at a large international public health agency, published twice, good CV

Key points: Failed physics 1 and a subsequent C at a community college when I retook; all other core science classes have been As, Bs etc. Would like to be competitive enough for some allopathic programs and possibly be considered for top schools. Hoping to apply this 2012 cycle.

Would you recommend doing a quick post bacc this summer focusing on physics, chem (a few B's, a C in high school ccollege credit), prior to submitting amcas?

Many thanks in advance, and hoppy holidays =)
I doubt you will have that much of a chance at "top" schools, since the MCAT is good but not above-average for those schools, and your GPA is obviously below average. A post-bac for a single semester won't help much since your GPA will only be marginally bumped up.

You should have a lot of interest by "non-top" MD schools. What state are you a resident of? A post bac will help you be a bit more competitive, but obviously you won't be jumping from a 3.5 to a 3.7 with just a semester or two of classes. It definitely won't hurt you though, so you should do it if it is financially possible for you.:luck:

I doubt you will have that much of a chance at "top" schools, since the MCAT is good but not above-average for those schools, and your GPA is obviously below average. A post-bac for a single semester won't help much since your GPA will only be marginally bumped up.

You should have a lot of interest by "non-top" MD schools. What state are you a resident of? A post bac will help you be a bit more competitive, but obviously you won't be jumping from a 3.5 to a 3.7 with just a semester or two of classes. It definitely won't hurt you though, so you should do it if it is financially possible for you.:luck:

Resident of Az, would love to go to AZCOM, but it's nice to dream! thanks for feedback, will seriously think about doing additional coursework since instate tuition is pretty reasonable. Congrats to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Please be very careful in how you think about your GPAs. Your school's opinion of your GPA has no effect whatever on AMCAS/AACOMAS GPA calcs. Your schools get no vote on your GPA, their academic renewal doesn't count, their grade replacement doesn't count.

So you "are" a 3.56/3.54 for MD schools. For DO schools, you only have to count the best grade on repeated coursework. I recommend doing GPA calcs following AMCAS/AACOMAS rules - don't even look at GPAs from your transcripts.

Also: 3.5? That's an average GPA. That means that half of med students get in with GPAs less than your GPA (at least in Arizona). Worry about other things than your GPA.
You're competitive for U of Arizona. And competitive for AZCOM. Go for it. Apply early & broadly.
Key points: Failed physics 1 and a subsequent C at a community college when I retook; all other core science classes have been As, Bs etc....
You're not required to do great in physics. If your MCAT PS section is 10+, then more work in chem/pchem/physics wouldn't be interesting. If you have time to take more coursework before you apply, then focus on things like genetics, cell bio, neuro, physio. You're done with the prereqs.

Start working on your essays and LORs in earnest. Get obsessed with UofAz admissions.

Best of luck to you.

You could have been accepted this year. I agree with Seeker in that there's no silver bullet that will definitely get you into Yale or something, but that shouldn't discourage you from reaching either. Save the postbac money and apply broadly instead.

I say no on a postbacc. You don't need it... what do you have for volunteering and other ECs besides your work?

Thanks all. I do agree with DrMidLife about the GPA calculations. In case others are reading/lurking, I found this aamc link to the instruction manual really helpful, along with JHU's advice section.

I say no on a postbacc. You don't need it... what do you have for volunteering and other ECs besides your work?

I feel this is my strong point in the app: appointed to a federal advisory committee on international health; shadowed and assisted an ENT; founding member of a non-profit, volunteer as a hospice worker; performed clinical research at a cancer center.

Thanks for the encouragement, it's nice to have objective feedback!

I feel this is my strong point in the app: appointed to a federal advisory committee on international health; shadowed and assisted an ENT; founding member of a non-profit, volunteer as a hospice worker; performed clinical research at a cancer center.

Yeah, that's a killer CV. Seems like you should be able to get great rec letters from any of those ECs. And your GPA is high enough that your app will be taken seriously at Top Schools. I'd think you would get some interviews, and from there, who knows?