Yes Dr. or Yes Sir?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smartman716

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The following question may seem trivial but I will appreciate your feedback.

When shadowing or doing a clinical rotation, what is generally considered more acceptable or appropriate at the clinical/practice setting:

responding to a doctor by saying Yes Dr or by saying Yes Sir or Yes Maam (in places where it is the norm for women to be addressed as such) or as someone put it

" Yes your highness"? :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Which is considered more acceptable or appropriate at the clinical/practice setting, responding to a doctor by saying Yes Dr. or by saying Yes Sir?

Yes your highness

ya'vull commandant!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

When shadowing or doing a clinical rotation, what is generally considered more acceptable or appropriate at the clinical/practice setting:

responding to a doctor by saying Yes Dr or by saying Yes Sir or Yes Maam (in places where it is the norm for women to be addressed as such) or as someone put it

Yes sir/maam is appropriate. That is what I consistently see anyway. I'm just a lowly resident and make students call me by my first name! :laugh:

Yes sir/maam is appropriate. That is what I consistently see anyway. I'm just a lowly resident and make students call me by my first name! :laugh:
Resident Physician - Podiatric Surgery

Thank you Dr -- oh and I mean yes Sir, yes Maam :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Whatever you call them, just don't come empty handed.

Coffee and doughnuts work well!

Yes sir sounds like you would be speaking to a police officer or someone with authority. I think yes doctor sounds more humble. maybe if its your boss you can call them sir or mam but if your shadowing, i think doctor is very much appropriate whatever makes you feel comfortable.