yep, another what are my chances thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RubberSoul65

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know you must all get tired of these threads . . . but I'm posting one too. :rolleyes:

I am a 29 year old with a degree in Biology. 3.89 overall GPA, 3.6 in Science. I taught high school Physical Science, Biology, and A and P for three years before being a stay-at-home mom for the past five years. I have one pre-req. left to take (Physics, which I will take this summer) and also plan on taking the MCAT this summer.

I am looking at applying for the 2009 class.

What do my chances look like? What can I do to improve my application, other than rockin' out on my MCAT and Physics class?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

To me, your expectations of applying for 2009 matriculation are scary. One recommendation you'll see around here is to apply early and broadly. Early means that you push "submit" as close to June 1 '08 as possible, with all scores and prereqs in hand. If you're talking about not even starting physics until this summer, and also taking on the MCAT this summer, that says to me that you're applying LATE. Meeting deadlines means you are REALLY late. You might get away with it. But I think it's a bad plan. Keep in mind that 60% of applicants are rejected, and that 60% group is really well qualified.

You can take a practice MCAT anytime. Now would be a great time. www-e-mcat.com, and the first one is free. At least take a verbal section as a predictor of success on other sections.

I don't see how you'd get a year of physics with labs done in a summer at the same time you'd prep for the MCAT. With small kids at home? Yikes.

Teaching is a fantastic background.

If you do not have clinical experience yet, this is mandatory. Volunteering in a hospital is the usual way to get exposure.

Letters of recommendation are usually the biggest hurdle for folks who have been out of school for a while. It's never too early to go back and find profs and hassle them.

Best of luck to you.

Thank you for your candid and honest response! I have wondered if I am pushing it too, and thought about holding off and applying for the 2010 class.

I would take Physics I this summer and II in the fall. Correct me if I'm wrong-but don't a lot of college juniors apply to med school, before their pre-reqs are complete? I guess I was thinking that I wouldn't be the only one who was still working on pre-reqs of I applied this year.

My father-in-law is a doctor and owns a couple of urgent care clinics, one just across the street from our house, so I will have lots of opportunity to get some clinical experience. I also think my LORs will be a strong point, as I have been in this community for over seven years and have quite a few strong relationships with former my professors and several doctors.

Thanks again, you certainly gave me something to think about!

Members don't see this ad :)
Prereqs don't have to be completed until you matriculate.

For you, that physics series is going to do two important things: (1) it'll show recent success in science coursework, and (2) it'll teach you the subjects on the MCAT. If you can do well on the MCAT physical sciences section without having completed physics, more power to you, but again, not the best plan to lay down.

One thing I recommend to nontrads is to try to find practicing physicians who are unhappy, and to LET THEM try to talk you out of it. You'll find out lots of stuff this way. For example, find some throwback who thinks you're crazy to do it with kids and listen to their case (forewarned = forearmed). In your case I'd also want to be sure that you interact some with docs that your dad doesn't know. Just to round things out.

One other thing to mention: getting a first draft of your personal statement written will grease the skids. You can use it as "collateral" with your recommenders (usually they want to meet and/or interview you) and then you can collect feedback from them.

Lastly, it's great that you're here on SDN looking for info, and you'll mostly find good stuff. But ALWAYS get a second opinion: other people will be along shortly to vote in here. And get a second opinion on what you hear in the real world too: your dad's admissions experience is nothing like what yours will be.

Go get 'em.

I think probably every section on the MCAT will be something that I have to review extensively, considering that I have been out of college for almost 7 years. I agree that a strong showing in Physics will show that I can still get good grades in science classes.

Believe me, I've already heard the "you're crazy", etc. speeches. Mostly from members of my family in the medical field, but also from other moms who can't believe I'd try it with young children at home. The way I see it-I don't want to look back 15 years from now with regret knowing that I gave up on something I really wanted because it of the difficulty of achieving my dreams. Now, ask me again when I'm in my second year of residency and haven't slept for 60 hours straight! ;)

It's my father-in-law who is the doctor. He was a non-traditional student as well, had 6 kids by the time he finished med school 20 years ago!

Anyway, thanks again for your comments. I really appreciate it!

I've been out of college for 3.5 years, but I've found that the Audio Osmosis CDs have been helpful in reviewing all the stuff I thought I forgot. I bought mine used to save $$. You can also download undergrad science lectures for free from iTunes. I was listening to intro physics the other day from Berkeley and was shocked that they do the "shoot the monkey" demonstration for kinetics--apparently my physics prof at MIT was NOT the first person to come up with that. Anyway. You'll want to get some review books as well (I like Kaplan, but that's what I used before), but the CDs and MP3s of lectures are useful when you're in the car, on the subway, cleaning the bathroom, in the grocery store, etc. etc.

Good luck!

I've been out of college for 3.5 years, but I've found that the Audio Osmosis CDs have been helpful in reviewing all the stuff I thought I forgot. I bought mine used to save $$. You can also download undergrad science lectures for free from iTunes. I was listening to intro physics the other day from Berkeley and was shocked that they do the "shoot the monkey" demonstration for kinetics--apparently my physics prof at MIT was NOT the first person to come up with that. Anyway. You'll want to get some review books as well (I like Kaplan, but that's what I used before), but the CDs and MP3s of lectures are useful when you're in the car, on the subway, cleaning the bathroom, in the grocery store, etc. etc.

Good luck!

:spam::spam::spam:

Please tell me it is!!!!

I've never been on a subway in my life! :laugh: