yelp! Q about da schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxietypeaker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering...from AUC, SABA, ROSS, SGU...are there any states that graduates from these colleges are forbidden (or pretty much restricted) to practice in after board certification?

Members don't see this ad.

Unless an applicant for licensure has personal issues, all four schools should be able to get you licensed in all 50 states.

anxietypeaker said:
I was wondering...from AUC, SABA, ROSS, SGU...are there any states that graduates from these colleges are forbidden (or pretty much restricted) to practice in after board certification?

Be careful, and ask the state board itself for their SPECIFIC requiremnets. Each state is different. Just because you graduated from Ross, and Ross is approved in California..DOES NOT MEAN you can get lisenced there.

You have to make sure that you follow the state licensure rules YOURSELF. The school DOES NOT CARE. I know this because I am going through hell now convincing Ross to re-schedule one of my Core rotations which I did at a D.O. hospital....Ross's Clinical Department responce-"Oh, it is too late now...You are graduating in 3 months, and we have no spots available. My "clinical advisor" does not even return my calls and e-mails!

So now I cannot practice in California because I did one of my cores at a D.O. hospital. I will have to re-do this core after I graduate if I want to practice there.

Pennsylvania requires that you do at least 72 weeks of clinicals at ACGME hospitals that sponcer a residency/fellowship in those particular clinicals....
Meaning if you do a Neurology elective, the hospital must have a residency/fellowship in Neurology (not just IM or FP. which is OK in California).

Some states will only license Ross graduates on a "case-by-case basis"-IDAHO, for example. Ross tells us this when?!-At the very end, it mentions it in our "Graduation Planning Guide".

Please go to this link and read pages 7-9:

http://www.rossu.edu/files/GPG06-07.pdf

Again, each state has its own PARTICULAR rules. Do not trust your school or anyone...CALL THE STATE BOARD YOURSELF and ask them about their requiremnets BEFORE you start clinicals....

And do not accept a clinical schedule just because your school gave it to you...ask BEFORE you accept a clinical rotation, because once you accept it, it is VERY DIFFICULT to go back and repeat it (like my situation).

Again...Carib. schools are not like your typical schools...they are in it ONLY for the Money. So be an informed customer before you get their product.

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, great PDF file. So i have afew follow up questions now.

1) so is the following a true statement: Going to some foreign schools will automatically exclude you from practicing in a state. However, SGU/ROSS/SABA/AUC are NOT one of those schools. HOWEVER, you must complete specific prerequisites for licensure at certain states.

2) Is there a document/site that compiles all 50 states' requirements?

3) Is it possible to do all 50 states' requirements?

4) Is it possible to get a residency in a state but not able to get your license there? (ie not enough ACGME rotations but do a residency of IM at CA or something)

EDIT: For #4, just tell me if this is plausible. I plan on doing IM specialty, do the prereqs for licensure of all the states (im sure some overlap). IS THIS PLAUSIBLE?

I can totally relate to what Leukocyte is saying. My clinical advisor never replied my phone calls either. I am glad to be not assoiciated with Ross anymore, last year I managed to transfer to a US medical school into my 3rd year.........the happiest day of my life since I no longer have to deal with Ross. In addition, I set my self up to get any residency of my choice at a place of my choice. Not to mention, I will also no longer will have to deal with any ACGME clinical issues or licensing issues that came with Ross.

Ross' idea of success is to completely set you up for failure!.............if you are able to deal with the crap that Ross gives you, you will be able to get thru with unneccesary hurdles that Ross lays out for you.

anxietypeaker said:
1) so is the following a true statement: Going to some foreign schools will automatically exclude you from practicing in a state. However, SGU/ROSS/SABA/AUC are NOT one of those schools. HOWEVER, you must complete specific prerequisites for licensure at certain states.

I am at Ross, and I can only speak for Ross. For Ross, the answer is Yes (at least for now).

anxietypeaker said:
2) Is there a document/site that compiles all 50 states' requirements?

There is a book that you can buy...BUT BOOKS GET OUT-DATED. State laws change very frequently, so I recommend visiting their websites instead to get the most up-to-date laws. Call them directly if you do not understand one of their laws. Do not trust anyone other than the state it self.

Here is a link to the 50 state medical boards:

http://www.fsmb.org/directory_smb.html

anxietypeaker said:
3) Is it possible to do all 50 states' requirements?

Only if you KNOW the requirements for EACH of the 50 states. However, what you can do is "play it safe", meaning:

-Do ALL your rotations at hospitals that have MD residency/fellowship programs in the field you are rotating in.

-Do not take "long" bearks between rotations (each State has a different definition of "long")

-Do all your rotations at hosptals that are affiliated with your school (some states want that, most do not care)

-Some states do not accept a rotation done within its borders (BE CAREFUL).

anxietypeaker said:
4) Is it possible to get a residency in a state but not able to get your license there? (ie not enough ACGME rotations but do a residency of IM at CA or something)

Some states require that you have a license for residency, California for example,......some do not.

Good Luck!

so what happens if im practicing in NY and i wanna move to TX. However, i didnt satisfy the licensure requirements for rotations or something.

1) can i satisfy requirements (like redoing rotations) even this late in my medical career (graduated,board certified,practicing medicine in some state)?

2) how hard (not time-wise) is it to do a program (like rotations/etc etc) to satisfy a state requirement at this point (post graduation, post board, blah blah)?

anxietypeaker said:
so what happens if im practicing in NY and i wanna move to TX. However, i didnt satisfy the licensure requirements for rotations or something.

It depends on the PARTICULAR state, and how stringent it is. Some States are "flexable", might make exceptions, and give you credit for your accomplishments. Other States might be very "stuborn" and will not accept any compromises.

It also depends on your Lawyer, and how good/smooth/connected he/she is.

anxietypeaker said:
how hard (not time-wise) is it to do a program (like rotations/etc etc) to satisfy a state requirement at this point (post graduation, post board, blah blah)?

I do not know. I think it depends on you, and how connected are you - If you know "the right person" in the medical school, he/she might just simply sign the paperwork for you. Others (with no connections), might meet with the school dean, and "arrange" something (you still have to pay "tuition" offourse).

leukocyte,
Do you know anyone at SGU had some type of experiences? My anatomy instructor, who is a Ross grad, told me that SGU clinical is superior to Ross. He told me go to DO first, then SGU, and No ROSS...He's trying to secure a rad position since 2005. I hope he'll find one this year.

DrBMX said:
leukocyte,
Do you know anyone at SGU had some type of experiences? My anatomy instructor, who is a Ross grad, told me that SGU clinical is superior to Ross. He told me go to DO first, then SGU, and No ROSS...He's trying to secure a rad position since 2005. I hope he'll find one this year.

Your instructor is right, and his advice is sound.

Yes SGU is a better school than Ross because:

-SGU accepts less students = better service

-SGU has better hospital affiliations (Less/NO D.O. hospitals)

Having said that, you still have to make sure that you comply with your State's lisencure requirements. Do not trust the school or anyone. Always check that every clinical rotation you do meets your State's requirements.

This does not only apply to Carib schools, but to all non-US medical schools (including prestegous ones like Oxford, Cambridge, Sourbon.....).

ALL FMGs (not just Caribbean grads) are in the same boat when it comes to lisencure. FMGs have DIFFERENT lisencure requiremnets from US MD/DO grads.

I second your instructor's advise:

1-US/Canadian MD
2-US DO
3-A good non-US school that accepts americans:
-Sakler (Israel) - Exellent. Affiliated with NYU. Practically "a semi-US school".
4-Older Caribbean schools:
-SGU (Best Caribbean school)
-ROSS
-AUC

Good Luck!