Yellow Ribbon Matching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Panton

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm separating from active duty to go to Med School as a civilian this fall. One of the schools where I've been accepted offers a full Yellow Ribbon GI bill matching, so it would be essentially free. I'd prefer to attend another school, which of course does not participate. Has anyone here tried ask a school if they would match, or offer something? Both schools are similarly ranked. Any success?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm separating from active duty to go to Med School as a civilian this fall. One of the schools where I've been accepted offers a full Yellow Ribbon GI bill matching, so it would be essentially free. I'd prefer to attend another school, which of course does not participate. Has anyone here tried ask a school if they would match, or offer something? Both schools are similarly ranked. Any success?
Good luck with that. Financial Aid folks at medical schools are not known for making a lot of exceptions. I'm surprised any participate in the Yellow Ribbon thing.

Congrats on your acceptances. The one piece of advice you'll hear pretty consistently is the importance of going to a cheaper medical school. The truth of the matter is that with the possible exception of going to the top 5 or bottom 5, there's not a lot of difference in your opportunities in medical school or doors being kicked open/held shut when applying to residencies. I'm speaking allopathic here. I've heard the quality variation among the osteopathic schools is a lot bigger.

Thanks

Go to the school you want to go to...the one that is going to make you happier. Med school has a tendency to suck all the joy out of life especially around test time. You'll find a way to pay for it....so you may have to pay loans until your in your 40s...or 50s, but at least you kept your sanity during school right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to the school you want to go to...the one that is going to make you happier. Med school has a tendency to suck all the joy out of life especially around test time. You'll find a way to pay for it....so you may have to pay loans until your in your 40s...or 50s, but at least you kept your sanity during school right?
Ugh, definitely disagree. I was in a similar position choosing between two medical schools and talked to a lot of docs, and they all strongly recommended going to the cheaper school.

Med school is going to suck the joy out of you regardless where you are. Knowing that you could have saved the price of a small home by attending a cheaper school for an equivalent education would make it suck all the more.

I don't expect they will meet the full scholarship offer, but there are (probably SDN urban legend) rumors of students asking one for merit aid with an offer from a competing school. I'm just looking to hear from anyone who's actually attempted it. I'm very grateful to be in this situation, and while it feels sickeningly impolite to ask, it is a ton of money.

I don't expect they will meet the full scholarship offer, but there are (probably SDN urban legend) rumors of students asking one for merit aid with an offer from a competing school. I'm just looking to hear from anyone who's actually attempted it. I'm very grateful to be in this situation, and while it feels sickeningly impolite to ask, it is a ton of money.

It is NOT impolite to ask. Its not their money. However, if they won't match it, go to the other school.

To the OP, were schools receptive to you using the Yellow Ribbon program? I'm applying this year, and weighing the choices of HPSP, HSCP, USUHS or Yellow Ribbon. Did you come across any interesting info or experiences in talking with school about the program?

The GI bill webpage lists all the yellow ribbon schools by state. Most schools are undergraduate only. I have not spoken to the schools yet. Keep in mind the GI Bill changed in Jan to a flat tuition rate ($17.5K a year I believe) regardless of state. 2011 isn't out yet, but here's the 2010 list. http://www.gibill.va.gov/gi_bill_info/ch33/YRP/YRP_List_2009.htm

Also, most schools have only a limited number of Yellow Ribbon scholarships. Many times they have to defer people or put them on a waiting list. You might want to look into the status of the YRP at the school of your interest.

I know this is an older thread but in the event that some people out there are still interested I will share my brief story. I applied to allopathic schools only and really limited myself by only applying in state. However, the school I was ultimately accepted to did not offer the yellow ribbon program. Having researched all of my potential schools ahead of time I contacted the ones that did not offer the YRP and simply inquired as to whether it not it was something they have looked into. The feedback was nearly positive across the board. Once I received interview invites I contacted the schools again to see if anything had come from my previous correspondence. It was not until I was accepted though that the financial aid office really went to bat for me. I indicated that I would indeed be attending their institution in the fall and that once again I would greatly appreciate anything they could do. All was quiet for a month or so until they came back that it had been approved for what would be my M2 and M3 years. Then just today I received word that the YRP was approved for this fall! I was ecstatic. In any event, it was well worth contacting the schools about the YRP and as long as you are tactful I believe others may have similar success in convincing their school(s) of choice to adopt this amazing program. Good luck to all those out there still pursuing your dream!

Accepted class of 2016 MD

I know this is an older thread but in the event that some people out there are still interested I will share my brief story. I applied to allopathic schools only and really limited myself by only applying in state. However, the school I was ultimately accepted to did not offer the yellow ribbon program. Having researched all of my potential schools ahead of time I contacted the ones that did not offer the YRP and simply inquired as to whether it not it was something they have looked into. The feedback was nearly positive across the board. Once I received interview invites I contacted the schools again to see if anything had come from my previous correspondence. It was not until I was accepted though that the financial aid office really went to bat for me. I indicated that I would indeed be attending their institution in the fall and that once again I would greatly appreciate anything they could do. All was quiet for a month or so until they came back that it had been approved for what would be my M2 and M3 years. Then just today I received word that the YRP was approved for this fall! I was ecstatic. In any event, it was well worth contacting the schools about the YRP and as long as you are tactful I believe others may have similar success in convincing their school(s) of choice to adopt this amazing program. Good luck to all those out there still pursuing your dream!

Accepted class of 2016 MD

Pretty sweet. Congrats on the acceptance and your persistence on the Yellow Ribbon.