Years in practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Years out of residency

• Total voters

ERMudPhud

Back for a visit
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
drsutter's question in another thread got me thinking. I realized that except for the new attendings this year and the really old farts (BKN :D ) I didn't really know how long most of us have been in practice and I thought it might be interesting to know. I'm betting docB and Spyder are about the same as me or a bit longer. Bartleby I'm thinking might be a bit less. The rest I haven't a clue. I'm 5 years out from a 4 year program.

Members don't see this ad.

I've actually been out a little less than Phud, '03. While than does make me younger, hipper and cooler :p it has been a little eye opening to realize that I've now been an attending only as long as I was a resident.

In reality though I'd say each year of early attendingdom is like 2-3 years of residency in terms of learning curve. I'd also say that my first week of single coverage night shifts was like 46 years of residency. The main reasons for that are that you're on your own and that every shift in every month is in the ED. I was out about 6 months and I noticed that I was looking at my calendar for some reason. I eventually realized it was because I was trying to figure out when my string of ER blocks was going to end and I'd have an easy rotation like anesthesia or elective. It never happened.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn, BKN nearly maxed out the poll

Yeah but you put in the >30.

You could have added:

I predate Medicare

I predate the New Deal

I have used leaches and they were standard of care when I did

My physical exam at one time included phrenology

I am Galen

Where do you think he'd fall on that scale?

docB said:
I don't know but I recall him ranting about Roosevelt and the WPA. :D

I big to differ.:mad: I'm a child of the sixties. FDR is my big hero. :D

But I did walk five miles each way through the snow to see my patients after a bllizzard in the winter of '79. And to be completely honest, the whole way I was looking forward to thowing it in the face of students and residents for the next 40 years.:D :D