Years between applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rolmos

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Background: I finished undergrad in 2007 and sent in my applications to a few med schools that summer. I had good grades and an average MCAT, was pretty late in the application timeline, and ended up with no acceptances. So I took the next year off to focus on a few things that I didn't think I'd have time for in school (existential crap :p). I was planning on applying in 2009, but I had just gotten married and wanted to devote more time to our relationship. She is now finished with grad school and enjoying her job, and I am studying to re-take the MCAT. I wanted to be early on this cycle, but it doesn't look like that is possible if I want to be confident I'll get my target MCAT score (30). A couple schools that interest me require one or two upper-division science courses that I didn't take with the standard pre-med prerequisites. I have been working as an ER tech since I graduated, but money is an issue, so I don't want to waste an application cycle if I don't stand a decent chance of getting in. There is more background as to why I haven't squeezed in the time to apply, but I'm not saying that I have any unique problems.

Questions:
If I wait until the late-Aug/January MCAT, how can I show adcoms that the long delay between applications isn't due to a lack of motivation? I would feel much more comfortable, judging from my study schedule and what I've yet to accomplish, if I took the test in January and applied as early as possible on the next cycle. I also need to consider taking one or two more undergrad upper-div science courses next year if I plan on applying to a couple schools in particular. Is this necessary, anyway, since it has been years since I have taken a class? Is there anything I should be doing while I wait to apply, other than studying and working?

I know for a fact that I can be ready by next cycle, but I am concerned that there will be too much time between applications and the adcoms might not like that. Is this a valid concern? Having a family requires a big time commitment (we have a daughter), but I won't play that card--especially since med school will be much more time-consuming than my current situation. Is there anything I haven't considered that I should be considering as far as ways to improve my chances at acceptance? Any advice (or criticism) you have for me would be appreciated.

Lastly, something that probably shouldn't be a major concern, but is: I don't talk about my future plans unless someone asks, but my family/friends are pulling for me, and it will be a bit embarrassing to tell them that I've decided to delay my application again. Yes, I have examined my motivation for becoming a doctor, and no, it's not for acceptance/status with family/friends. Obviously, the adcom's perception of me is more important in this context, but did the pressure from your family and friends get to you? Any advice on that?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you're fine. I think it's a mistake to reapply too quickly, not too slowly. You've filled up the time with good pursuits, and you're being smart about scheduling.

It's probably too late to get any feedback from the schools you applied to before, but anything they called out has to be addressed. Don't reuse essays or letters from then - everything should be updated and fresh.

Doing one or two upper div science classes before you apply is just a good idea, end of story, whether it's required or not. Show you can still thrive in a classroom.

The only other thing I'd suggest is to find some crabby, opinionated, not-particularly-friendly people, preferably close to or in retirement, who are either faculty or physicians or both, to review your essays and mock interview you. You want people who aren't afraid to hurt your feelings, if you're going to get good feedback. Take the ego hits early so that you can shine in your apps & interviews.

Best of luck to you.

but I had just gotten married and wanted to devote more time to our relationship.

I have been working in a hospital as a tech since I graduated, but money is an issue

Sounds to me like there are some good reasons that you took time out of the application cycle.

dsoz

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't apply this coming cycle for various reasons:

(1) you haven't taken your MCAT yet. Taking them in July / Aug means that your file might not be reviewed until later during the cycle, since schools review apps based on completion date. (huge disadvantage)

(2) Missing upper division classes. You are limiting the number of schools that you can apply. Also, by taking the upper div classes and having the grades on your AMCAS helps your GPA and shows that you can still do well in class.

(3) Personal Statement and Letter of Recommendation. A good personal statement takes a long time to write. Mine took about 2 months to complete. I am also assuming that your letter of recommendations are old (around 2007). A more recent letters are more applicable to your current ability to do well in class.

Ideas to improve your application:
(1) We need more info regarding your basic stats (GPA/MCAT), activities, and etc.

(2) Take upper division science classes and ACE them !!

(3) Get started on your personal statement.

MY 2 CENTS:
don't worry about your family's perception about postponing medical school. I graduated 2008 and did something else before applying last cycle. Received 9 interviews, received multiple acceptances (2 top tier schools).
I only receive one "a little bit old" comment from one faculty, but he liked me enough to accept me and the school gave me $$$ to attend.
In my opinion, med schools like non-trad students because they bring diversity to the entering class.

Good Luck and let me know if you have any specific questions.

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. My biggest question now would be whether or not it's important that the grade(s) from the upper div course(s) be determined before the apps/interviews, or just before (hopefully) matriculating. I just called all of the places that could offer summer courses in upper-div science, and they are all booked. I'd prefer to take more than one course during the year of my application, but the grades wouldn't be back in time to help my app. Should I just try to fit a course or two in next fall/spring, while I take the MCAT in January? I'll have to drive at least 45 minutes to get to the nearest university, and taking time off work isn't an easy option at this point. How important is it that I take upper-div courses, and does it matter if I haven't finished them before interviews? Won't a good MCAT score show that my brain didn't rot away?

How important is it that I take upper-div courses, and does it matter if I haven't finished them before interviews?

No one could really say how important it is to show the upper div grades. But unless you have a stellar GPA (note that medical school is getting more competitive in the last couple of years) in undergrad, I would recommend that you take them to improve your GPA trend.

Some school doesn't really care if you have finished them or not as long as you have them prior to matriculation in the fall.

Won't a good MCAT score show that my brain didn't rot away?

Well a good MCAT score is crucial because it shows that you can take a standardized tests (i.e. steps I, II, III in the future).... but it does not tell you how good of a student you are.
Medical courses is unlike undergrad where you can cram in a couple of days before and expect to do well. They want to know that you can be an excellent student for 4 years and beyond.

Apply when you are ready and apply early
apply broadly
reflect on your experiences over the last couple years and you will be fine

i talked to one of my brother's best friends who applied 4 cycles in a row -___- before finally getting accepted :D

Going into my 5th year @ undergrad (super senior), I feel that when I apply for med. school, I will be in a similar boat that you are currently in.

When I talked to my brother's friend the biggest thing he stressed to me was to apply
1) only when you are completely confident in your application.
2) Apply broadly & early
3) And to keep working at your resume incase you do have to apply another cycle

best of luck to you!