Yearly Didn't Match Post

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dral

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So for anyone who didn't match, I wanted to get a thread going to give you guys some ideas of where to go next. Not matching is a tough thing to endure and what you need most is hope...hope that you'll get there eventually. I believe one of the best ways to get over the initial hump is to have something tangible to focus on instead of perseverating on the pain of not getting there the first time.

But maybe everyone who reads this forum matched, so you can disregard this. Hopefully it helps at least someone though.

So let's get a discussion going. Here are some things to consider and work on (I posted these last year):

These assume that you have an intern year lined up (or will land one during SOAP).

1. SOAP. This is obvious. I honestly don't know how it works now (I scrambled back in the day). Do what you have to do to get a spot within the rules.

2. Find out about those out of match spots. Ask your PD for help. Reach out to ANYONE who can help/advocate. Don't be ashamed or worried...just reach out to them.

3. Contact your intern year PC/Chiefs ASAP. Explain your situation to them. Explain that in your schedule for next year, you would like to schedule a dermatology rotation early in the year, either at their institution or at a nearby institution if your intern year program does not have an academic derm department. This is your time (during the rotation) to shine and network.

4. If you are really committed, start researching research fellowship positions. It's better to have completed intern year first. You want to know who you would work with and what is the match rate of the fellows. You ideally want to be working on something of interest to you. This is a great way to network as you will be publishing and presenting a decent amount. It's a good way to get a career started in a niche area of research/focus, which is starting to become ever so important in the current medical care climate.

Best of luck. Anyone with questions, post away or feel free to pm me if you don't want to post publicly.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Not to toot my horn or to take away from dral's thread, but on #4 - if you're going to do a research fellowship, please see my thread that @asmallchild stickied on finding and choosing a dermatology research fellowship. I agree with @Dral, make sure you have an intern year to start in July and that you finish USMLE Step 3 (you just need to pass for a full license). Find out about every single derm research fellowship out there and don't let your vulnerability of not having matched make you choose a derm research fellowship impulsively. You want a fellowship that pretty much guarantees you a position or which will help you on your application enough when you apply again. Please don't go in to this naively.

See this as well: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/sdns-guide-to-landing-your-dream-derm-fellowship.604363/

Last edited: