Year Off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Playarrz

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to take a year off after I graduate from medical school(in 6 months :) ) until I start residency. I am a procrastinator therefore I don't have anything lined up for next year as yet. Do you guys have any suggestions? Or can anyone point me to other threads with people in similar positions? I want to either do Int. Medicine or anesthesiology.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Your school should have someone to talk to who may have leads. Also, don't leave without getting an advisor in either or both medicine and anesthesia to keep in touch during your time off.

I took a year off between 3rd and 4th yr to do MPH, and if you're interested in that, it's generally easy to get in from med school. Deadlines are right about dec/jan. Other people I know did research, travelled, or some combination of the two. Look on the amsa site or do a google search.

Good luck!

dont take time off between med school and residency. Any time off you take will make it that much harder to start up once again. Sounds good to have a full year off, and Im sure that youre beat up and exhausted now, but if you take time off youll get too used to it and may not be as prepared to hit the harder grind when that year is up.

I took a year off and I did bench research. I'm so happy that I did, it was the best thing for me. I loved the research and it afforded me tons of personal clarity.

I think that what you get out of it is directly related to your reasons for doing it and what you put into it.

Be careful though...

If you're unproductive in your year off, it can hurt you. Also, it's better to interrupt your medical school education and take a year off than to graduate and take a year off. Residency programs don't like it when you graduate and then take a year off. I don't know why, but I've heard this over and over.

I'm not so sure that taking a year off will necessarily "recharge" you for a malignant residency any more than eating a good meal will prepare you for a concentration camp. Only will and prayer can get you though either.

As stated above, do not take a year off without having done something "productive" - and this usually means something medically related.

Keep in close tabs with your school/advisor etc because the match rates for graduated physicians (including those who've only taken a year off) is lower (the reasons are myriad), but you may want/need a lot of help enxt year to get things organized.