Year Off

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in taking a year off between my 3rd and 4th years of medical school to do either an MPH or an MBA. The extra degree would be through the same institution where I'm at medical school. I know the military won't pay for this, but do they allow it? It there anything I need to do if I want to request the time off?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in taking a year off between my 3rd and 4th years of medical school to do either an MPH or an MBA. The extra degree would be through the same institution where I'm at medical school. I know the military won't pay for this, but do they allow it? It there anything I need to do if I want to request the time off?

Is it possible? Yes. You would need to request that you be allowed to take a year of Leave Without Pay (LWOP). You are correct that you would not receive any benefits from the program (except those for just being in the IRR). What it boils down to is two things: Are the numbers graduating in your current class able to support the loss of one to the next class? Is the degree/research/fellowship of some real benefit to the military? The first is a pure numbers game. With low recruitment, they need everyone graduating on time to keep GME numbers up. The second is more philisophical. No one needs an MBA/MPH/PhD to practice medicine. Can it be helpful? Yes, but not necessary.

NavyFP is correct. It is possible to take a LWOP (leave without pay), if have another degree you want to pursue for your own interest.

I think it would be better to do the MBA or MPH later. It will not be of great use to you in the military, and what you learn will certainly atrophy while you are in. Furthermore, if you do it afterwards, you can use the GI bill to pay for it.
Unless your reason is you want to extend in your current location for another year, or procrastinate your payback (and perhaps have a reduced chance for deployment). That's a different ball of wax.