year off for research as medical student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turk00

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a strong interest in surgery and I am weighing whether or not to apply for a one year research fellowship such as Howard Hughes. I have been doing research while in school and in the summer b/w 1st and 2nd year. I am at a top 15 school and want to match at a top 5 program. I know a lot of other factors weigh in, but from the viewpoint of research, I want some input into the pros and cons of a year off to help in making the decision. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If your scores and grades are adequate for a top surgery program, a year of research will help you. Most of the "top rated" surgery programs are very academic, so a demonstrated interest in research will definitely add to your application, especially if you are able to publish.

On the otherhand, if your grades and scores are not competitive, the research year may not help you much.

If you are serious about a career in academic surgery, definitely do the year (I'm speaking as a surgery intern interested in academic surgery who did a year out in med school). Not only will you find it personally enjoyable, it'll help you further define your career interests. Plus, it's a great topic for interviews!