Year off for CRTP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaur

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
If anyone has done the CRTP or knows a friend who has, could you share your experience of applying to residencies and how the directors perceived your year-off? Do you simply get a checkmark next to the research box or does it really impress something more upon the program directors? I am considering urology and was wondering if it is worth taking the year off to do research. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
If anyone has done the CRTP or knows a friend who has, could you share your experience of applying to residencies and how the directors perceived your year-off? Do you simply get a checkmark next to the research box or does it really impress something more upon the program directors? I am considering urology and was wondering if it is worth taking the year off to do research. Thanks.
a student in the class ahead of me did crtp last year and really enjoyed it. and he said it did help him in his match because it gave him something to talk about at interviews (he matched ophtho at wisconsin). then again, another student in the same class did little to no research and matched ophtho at mass eye and ear. you don't necessarily need research to match into a competitive residency.

i personally think that if you're taking a year off JUST to help your match prospects, you're better off doing a research elective at your home school for like 6-8 weeks with an active clinical research PI. you'll bang out 2nd/3rd authorships on multiple papers and totally boost your resume if that's what you want. save the year-long fellowships for people that really want the chance to experience the role of a physician scientist as a possible career option.