Year off before Postbac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarahcatie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm currently a senior in college. I will graduate with approx. a 3.0 or 3.2 in the spring. I haven't even begun to study for the MCAT, so my plan is to get a job as a lab tech (I have research experience and excellent references) while studying for the MCAT, and apply to begin a Postbac in the fall of 2012. How do these programs look upon working for a year after college? Should I try to just apply for next year? I really would like a break from school to work for a year now to make some money and have a break before the long road ahead of me...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
I'm currently a senior in college. I will graduate with approx. a 3.0 or 3.2 in the spring. I haven't even begun to study for the MCAT, so my plan is to get a job as a lab tech (I have research experience and excellent references) while studying for the MCAT, and apply to begin a Postbac in the fall of 2012. How do these programs look upon working for a year after college? Should I try to just apply for next year? I really would like a break from school to work for a year now to make some money and have a break before the long road ahead of me...
Take more than one year off if you can. Travel, fall in love, pay rent, do stuff. Maturity? Goodness.

You should be looking at SMPs, where you amend for a low GPA. Before applying Oct/Nov to SMPs:
1. Have a very strong MCAT score in hand
2. Get A's in one or two upper div undergrad science classes

Best of luck to you.

Take more than one year off if you can. Travel, fall in love, pay rent, do stuff. Maturity? Goodness.

You should be looking at SMPs, where you amend for a low GPA. Before applying Oct/Nov to SMPs:
1. Have a very strong MCAT score in hand
2. Get A's in one or two upper div undergrad science classes

Best of luck to you.

+1 to what DrMidlife said.

you will never be looked down upon for taking time out for life and gaining new experiences...if anything it gives you a lot more to talk about on applications and in interviews. plus assuming you still follow this road your "why do you want to be a doctor?" will have a little more umph than the typical applicant - you stopped, gained some experience, worked a little and voila here you are more motivated, hungry and wanting even more in your heart to be a physician for x,y and z reasons.