year off AFTER vs. BEFORE 4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oli

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a current MS3 I find myself interested in some of the more competetive specialties and the weak point in my app. is definitely lack of research experience...If I were to take a year off and do research, is it better to do so between 3rd and 4th years or to finish 4th year but delay match a year and do research after graduation???? Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Between 3rd and 4th year is definately better.

First, it gives you more of a time cushion should you change your mind after working in the lab with residents who will really open up to you and tell you how it is. If you changed your mind during this time, you wouldn't be the first person.

Second, residencies don't like it if you take "year off" after you graduate because they feel you've been off the wards for too long. So, it can hurt your chances of matching.

does anyone else have input on this question?? I'm thinking primarily of Radiology at this point, and the weak point of my application is definitely lack of significant research experience. I'm really thinking of going through 4th year but deferring match and doing 1 yr. research at NIH, and interviewing during that year...isn't it relatively common to do this (esp. for those who don't to match in derm/ other competetive fields to do research for a year and then reapply?)

Oli said:
does anyone else have input on this question?? I'm thinking primarily of Radiology at this point, and the weak point of my application is definitely lack of significant research experience. I'm really thinking of going through 4th year but deferring match and doing 1 yr. research at NIH, and interviewing during that year...isn't it relatively common to do this (esp. for those who don't to match in derm/ other competetive fields to do research for a year and then reapply?)

If you do research after 4th year, you only have a couple of months before you have to start applying to residency. If you do it after 3rd year you have a whole year of research under your belt.

I agree with the after third year recc. Another advantage of doing this is that you will not be as rusty clinically when it comes time to start your internship year.