Year off after graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jerbeargood

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am most likely of taking a year off after graduation, before residency, to spend some time with my mom who is sick. Did anyone here take a year off, or does anyone know how that will affect me applying for residencies the next year? Any advice would be much appreciated, since I can't seem to find any information on people who have taken a year off after graduating med school online. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Genrally, it's better to interupt medical school with a year off than to take ayear off after. Residency programs tend to look down on taking a year off after.

In your case, they may look on you with more mercy. Even if they did not, f*** 'em. Your mother is more important than any career in medicine.

I really can't see anyone saying, "Gee, I really regret my life. If only I had let my mother die alone, I would have had that residency at MGH."

Well, maybe Ortho...

banner said:
Well, maybe Ortho...

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Easy there!

Everyone picks on us. We're good people!! You've met us at the hospital right? Ask us for help with something and see what you get - a ton of help.

I agree, taking time off during school is easier all around. You may want to consider that still. But, you've got to do what's right for you and your family in the end - you have to live with yourself every day.

Plus, lots of things people worry about just need to be explained in an interview. If your application gets you there just be prepared to explain things; to talk about it comfortably with confidence: that one bad grade, the time off, etc. It's not like you'll say: "well I just got burned out on the whole med-school establishment thing and took some time off to smoke hookah pipes in different foreign countries." You'll talk of family values, the debt we all owe our parents in society, how it made you a better person, closure, your close ties to your mother...

Kilgorian said:
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Easy there!

Everyone picks on us. We're good people!! You've met us at the hospital right? Ask us for help with something and see what you get - a ton of help.

No offense intended... Just a silly joke. I know you guys are a good bunch.

Yup!
Take the year, you'll still match next year.
If you don't, you'll hate yourself later on...
Programs will understand.

My sister in law took a yr off, because she had a baby right after graduating. I guess it would make 4th year that much easier, not having to worry about applications! She applied during her year off. I don't know if she ran into a lot of problems... I know she had quite a few interviews. She's now a psych resident @ U Mich.

Do what you have to do! Sometimes your personal life has to take precidence over your career. Your year off will make for an interesting personal statement. No one can fault you for taking time off for such an important reason!!