year long step I study plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eatsleepmed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know that there are numerous study plans out there for tackling USMLE step I, but I know I really need to start a head of time, to at least have reviewed everything at least once before the designated "4-5wk study time" before the exam.

Does anyone have any advice on how they started their reviewing during MS2 year? If so, what did you incorporate into your study plan? Did you follow the curriculum? Did you study a few hours every day on top of class material, or just in the weekends? Did you do questions, if so how many?

And also what resources did you use when?

I have tried combing through thte step 1 threads, but havents been able to find a similar thread, if I have missed it please post the link!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I am in your position also, just starting M2, so take what I say with a grain of salt. My plan is to do microcards and CMMRS and a small immunology source during our microblock. Read Big Robbins, RR path, during pathophys blocks. Also, during each pathophys block, which is systems based, I plan to review the relevant anatomy, embryo, and basic physio for each system.

Also, I plan to do 10 USMLE RX questions a night, so that I can complete RX (and therefore get through FA) all before dedicated.

During dedicated, It will be quick run through FA, then UWORLD in morning and supplemental reading at night (like RR path, or CMMRS, or BRS phys or whatever i have ALREADY SEEN)

We'll see if I can actually do this though.

Gonna be a busy year!

I have also just started MS2. My plan is to do firecracker/GT, pathoma, lipincott microcards along with course material. My curriculum is PBL based, so I've been flagging topics we cover in cases and stuff I cover in my textbooks. Firecracker is working well for me so far, since it pretty much covers material in FA and it's a way to test myself on what I'm reading in my textbooks. I will also start doing 15 or so Kaplan Qbank questions everyday until Thanksgiving break (when PBL ends), then ramp it up and finish it off by the end of winter break. I'm pretty much going to be spending 1-2 hours daily to go through questions in Firecracker + Kaplan qbank, that way I can cover a mix of M1 and M2 material (I'm doing around 5 topics/day of M2 stuff and then 5 or so of M1 review stuff like biochem and anatomy).

I'll probably stop Kaplan in January and FC sometime in March. I am planning on starting UWorld in either Feb or March, because I want to spend as much time as possible on it before I take step 1 in late May/early June. I'll throw in some NBME's starting April.

I'm hoping this is a decent plan, because I'll be covering most of the material for step 1 by March. It's working out so far, but I am putting in quite a good amount of time everyday keeping up with FC and M2 readings.

Right now I'm doing Pathoma with Kaplan comprehensive, while studying for classes. When I finish a topic I do questions. These include various review books and Kaplan qbank. I'm going to start uworld in january and do it once before the dedicated period and a second time during that time. I might try usmlerx if I feel I have the time. For te dedicated period I was thinking of doing DiT. My school has a the second year shelfs pretty much at the same time, do I'm going to watch kaplan hy at some point, because it was excellent for the biochem shelf as an MS1. I'll obviously read FA and RR path.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right now I'm doing Pathoma with Kaplan comprehensive, while studying for classes. When I finish a topic I do questions. These include various review books and Kaplan qbank. I'm going to start uworld in january and do it once before the dedicated period and a second time during that time. I might try usmlerx if I feel I have the time. For te dedicated period I was thinking of doing DiT. My school has a the second year shelfs pretty much at the same time, do I'm going to watch kaplan hy at some point, because it was excellent for the biochem shelf as an MS1. I'll obviously read FA and RR path.

I love how RR path is in the "obviously" category. :thumbup:

So you feel its more important to just dominate UWORLD twice than it is to do two different Qbanks? I like that idea, but other people keep telling me no. what are your thoughts?

I love how RR path is in the "obviously" category. :thumbup:

So you feel its more important to just dominate UWORLD twice than it is to do two different Qbanks? I like that idea, but other people keep telling me no. what are your thoughts?

Everyone I've personally known who has done 240+ on step 1, completes uworldx2. They also tried their hand at usmlerx and kaplan qbank. Not all of them finished though and I've yet to see correlation between doing different qbanks and raising score. Im sure doing more than 1 will increase score, but who knows if that's going to take away time from doing other useful things. As of now i own kaplan qbank so im going to use it, and try to finish it before i start uworld.