Year free--how to help my chances of getting into medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dylan21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently applying for DO/MD schools for Fall 2011. However, my GPA is low and I believe I didn't do very well on my MCAT. I have the year completely off because I graduate college this last summer. If I don't get into medical school for 2011, I want to re-apply for 2012. But, I also do not want to waste time or that much money. I was wondering what I should do this year (2010) and next year (2011), to help better my chances of getting in the medical class of 2012?---Research? Graduate program? Are there any programs that start in January, so I will not waste time? I need any advice I can get! I am leading more towards DO schools, but I have no idea how to go around doing anything! Please help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently applying for DO/MD schools for Fall 2011. However, my GPA is low and I believe I didn't do very well on my MCAT. I have the year completely off because I graduate college this last summer. If I don't get into medical school for 2011, I want to re-apply for 2012. But, I also do not want to waste time or that much money. I was wondering what I should do this year (2010) and next year (2011), to help better my chances of getting in the medical class of 2012?---Research? Graduate program? Are there any programs that start in January, so I will not waste time? I need any advice I can get! I am leading more towards DO schools, but I have no idea how to go around doing anything! Please help! :)

Hi dylan21,
If you feel that your GPA is on the low side I would suggest taking post-bac courses to increase your GPA and give you better chances. This is what I did before applying since my GPA was pretty low. I can tell you that those higher level sciences have been helping me a lot in med school now. If you are going the DO route (I'm a first year now at a DO school), they like to see you out in the community. Some options are to volunteer at hospitals, clinics, etc. This is just my opinion...if you have any other questions I'll be happy to help...good luck.