Year 5 medical training in HK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ams

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
well, it's official. neither HKU nor CUHK accepts foreign medical students for year 5 training in HK. so if there's anyone else out there, like me, who's considering transfering to HK to continue their medical education, tough luck.

to j-med, i emailed CUHK, and this is their prompt and polite (much nicer than HKU's) reply:

The present MBChB programme does not admit non-local students. The Faculty only accepts transfer students, if local, to Medical Years 2 or 3 (not Year 5). The curriculum should be compatible, though.

You can apply to the Graduate School for admission to postgraduate programmes if you fulfills the requirements as stipulated by the Graduate School and the programmes concerned.

Regards
Faculty Office of Medicine

just wondering, since i am an IMG, if i qualify for a one-year postgraduate medical course , would that count as a FIFTH YEAR of medical training for the Hong Kong Medical Council? they did say that it doesn't matter where you get that fifth year of training- as long as you have it, you're qualified. in the same vein, this means that US graduates who are currently doing a residency can sit for the licensing exam since they have more than 5 years of medical education under their belt. hmmm... :confused:

Members don't see this ad.