Year 3 and friends all disappear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeyMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I keep hearing that once year 3 starts, all the friends you made your MS1 year disappear into oblivion because everyone is on their own schedule. That you never get to see most of your "friends," let alone have time to chill with them. This true or false?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe not your whole group together, but you can still see people frequently

I live with some upper years who talk about how they never see anyone in their class anymore. Despite that, they still have the opportunity to get together every once in awhile with friends. Weekends are usually a good time to hang out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still saw my friends fairly often (although not as much as in M1/M2) and I also made new friends. This is also about around when I met my fiancee too though so circumstances were a touch different for me.

um...that's called life? get on with it. if someone really rocks your world you'll keep in touch.

Not really, as long as you keep in touch. You might not be in the same hospital, but you can still hang on the weekends when both people aren't rotating on a weekend day.

Depends what you mean by "friends."

During the first two years, I had lots of interactions with a fair amount of classmates, both through class and socially outside of class. We were friendly, and I enjoyed hanging with them from time to time on weekend nights.

Now in third year, I see a much smaller group of people. It takes more effort, but you can certainly still see your friends. You may not see most of your class for long periods of time.

So I keep hearing that once year 3 starts, all the friends you made your MS1 year disappear into oblivion because everyone is on their own schedule. That you never get to see most of your "friends," let alone have time to chill with them. This true or false?

True. People make excuses, you don't see them often, you'll drift apart, and you'll only hear from "friends" when they have a question about rotations, ERAS, or residency. But when you ask them when they're free or when they want to hang out they're "busy."

Or maybe that's just my luck.:confused:

There will still be post-shelf parties and weekend bar nights, just not as often for most people.

Obviously, you won't see all your friends everyday in class but you'll make new friends on the wards, especially if you have a large class in which you didn't know a lot of people before.

That was one thing I liked about 3rd-4th year. You get to really know people that you occasionally see or pass by in your class. In rotations that blew or had crazy hours or biatchy residents, you have fellow classmates to vent about it over drinks.

On the flip side, you get to see certain sides of people that should be kept sealed :smuggrin:

That was one thing I liked about 3rd-4th year. You get to really know people that you occasionally see or pass by in your class. In rotations that blew or had crazy hours or biatchy residents, you have fellow classmates to vent about it over drinks.

On the flip side, you get to see certain sides of people that should be kept sealed :smuggrin:

I second this - I really appreciated the chance to build relationships with other people in my class. Also, at some different clinic sites, I lived with students from other allied health fields and got more insight into their experiences through training - good stuff! :thumbup:

It's harder to see people because you don't have the same schedules anymore. In M1-M2, you all basically have class and exams at the same time, so it's fairly easy to get together, but during M3, the people on surgery have a completely different schedule than those on peds, and if your school does away rotations, it can make things more complicated because you aren't even at the same hospital.

That doesn't mean it's impossible, but there's definitely less seeing people than in the first two years.

Are you in 3rd year or are you preparing for 3rd year as an M2?

Different schedules mean you spend less time on a daily basis with the people you did during 1-2. The upside is that you end up spending time with people you didn't really interact with during the first two years and make some new friends. I didn't really lose any friends, but I definitely gained quite a few.

you wont have to deal with many people, the ones who truly matter will be around anyway

M3 is the least standardized year in medical school. Asking people on a message board means nothing unless the people that respond all go to your school.

Even the experience among medical students within classes varies throughout the year. I had one general surgery case and zero trauma OR cases during my surgery rotation. This is completely atypical.

Honestly it depends on how your school does it. I decided to be at one clinical site (5 hours drive from our main campus) for a whole year (along with about 10-15 other people from my class). We've all become pretty close, even though most of us were in very different groups during MS1/MS2. Some of my MS1/MS2 friends I've seen very rarely since leaving main campus for MS3, but there's a group of about 4-6 people that I make sure I get to see everytime I make the trek and visit main campus (be it for something academic or just a free weekend)

On the other hand, I have a couple friends who are at sites with not as many medical students, and thus they don't really go out on weekends or have a "group" to hang out with consistently. They probably haven't pursued drinking on the weekends and stuff heavily, but just my (and their) 2 cents.

You'll quickly realize how cool some people you never talked to before can be. Some of my best friends from med school are folks I didn't really know until 3rd year.

Neither. M2 wondering if the M3s and M4s are lying to me.

LOL :laugh: I don't recall issues of serious misinformation between M1/2 and M3/4 occurring during school.

To be honest, there is actually an intense lack of communication from upper levels to lower levels. Hopefully you can find a few M3's and M4's who did well in school / board exams or matched successfully and get as much advice as you can - then, share this knowledge with your classmates / lower levels. :thumbup: