Technology yay im getting a Mac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snoofle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I'm getting my MacBook this summer (i was able to convince my dad on the pros of it :D)..hopefully when they run the free ipod or free printer deals..i'll be using it primarily for grad school and want it to last me a long long time..so is the white 13 inch macbook at $1299 the best bet for that? i really dont want to get the pro b/c it is sooo expensive and it seems like too much for a grad student but i just want some opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

By the time you are ready to purchase this summer they may be updated again. By the way, the midrange is 1199 with ed pricing. ($100 off). DDR2 RAM may or may not be cheaper in the summer. If the macbooks are updated and still use that RAM then you can cheaply upgrade at OWC to 4 GB because as time goes on the price of that RAM will increase as supply decreases since they will be producing DDR3 instead of 2. I also suggest you buy a hard drive from Newegg with a larger size. Depending what you are doing with this thing and if you want it to last a long time it's probably good to upgrade the hard drive to 250 at least if you want to. Of course that can be done at any time and the RAM and hard drive are both user-serviceable. The ipod/printer deals are nice. I bought the iMac as soon as it came out last summer and got the combo.

As for MBP vs. MB check the screens to make sure 13.3" is enough for you. I'm assuming you won't need the graphics card, because other than that there is not really much of a difference between the machines besides the screen quality/size.

Just got a Pro the other day. Loving it. I'd highly recommend it if you want something that may last you a little longer. (with student discount, it comes out to a fairly manageable $1800 with free printer...the apple store that sold it to me accidentally threw in a free 250GB external USB HDD as well)

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's hoping that Apple makes the second version of the Air even better. I'm holding out for a better processor, more memory (4 GB), bigger hard disk (hopefully a bigger and faster solid state disk drive that's on the horizon from Intel), and more battery power. Even though the chips will get faster, the power requirements should be less thus prolonging battery power by 20-25% when coupled with DDR3 memory.

Here's hoping that Apple makes the second version of the Air even better. I'm holding out for a better processor, more memory (4 GB), bigger hard disk (hopefully a bigger and faster solid state disk drive that's on the horizon from Intel), and more battery power. Even though the chips will get faster, the power requirements should be less thus prolonging battery power by 20-25% when coupled with DDR3 memory.

would it be too much for me to request the inclusion of an ultrathin bluray drive and an extra usb port and ethernet port? ;)

Just got a Pro the other day. Loving it. I'd highly recommend it if you want something that may last you a little longer. (with student discount, it comes out to a fairly manageable $1800 with free printer...the apple store that sold it to me accidentally threw in a free 250GB external USB HDD as well)

lucky you for getting a free 250GB external! im waiting for the summer so hopefully they'll have the free printer and ipod deals

When will the 2nd version release? Is there a set date or is it as Apple randomly decides? I planned to get an Air sometime in the next month or so and planned to sell my MB. Well, by chance, I ran across a buyer this week for my MB so I'm currently laptopless.

If the 2nd version is releasing fairly soon, I may be able to wait for it.

It's a brand new product. There's no way of knowing how often they will have updates. It could be regular like the MB or it could be very rare like the cinema displays or Mac Mini.

lucky you for getting a free 250GB external! im waiting for the summer so hopefully they'll have the free printer and ipod deals
get the ipod if you have the option. It's a better value for your "free" money. Once you go mac, you won't go back! I rue the day I go back to Winblows...and thats 9 years running now!

It's a brand new product. There's no way of knowing how often they will have updates. It could be regular like the MB or it could be very rare like the cinema displays or Mac Mini.
Seriously? Do you know how bummed I'm gonna be if I get a new one and 5 weeks later they release the new Airs. Bummed doesn't even begin to describe it.

Members don't see this ad :)

Though I don't blame you. I know a lot of women who choose large purchases based on form over function. (Cars, computers, and most things). For example, my fiancée wants a Saturn Vue crossover SUV because she thinks it is "cute". My fiancée's cousin wants a MBA because it is "cute". So don't feel bad. You have good company.

I doubt there will be any significant updates to the MacBook Air for at least a year; it's only been available for a couple months. Give Apple a break. It's far more likely that they will first introduce a completely redesigned MacBook. Anyway, the MacBook Air is a poor value. Sure it's sexy, but you're paying a premium for comparatively mediocre performance and reduced versatility.

I doubt there will be any significant updates to the MacBook Air for at least a year; it's only been available for a couple months. Give Apple a break. It's far more likely that they will first introduce a completely redesigned MacBook. Anyway, the MacBook Air is a poor value. Sure it's sexy, but you're paying a premium for comparatively mediocre performance and reduced versatility.
Apple will probably upgrade the MBA to the Montevina platform when it is released this summer. It will offer improved battery life and processor performance. They will most likely upgrade the base RAM to 4 GB and also upgrade the sizes of hard disks and possibly solid state drives.

Though I don't blame you. I know a lot of women who choose large purchases based on form over function. (Cars, computers, and most things). For example, my fiancée wants a Saturn Vue crossover SUV because she thinks it is "cute". My fiancée's cousin wants a MBA because it is "cute". So don't feel bad. You have good company.
Wow. Way to generalize. I don't buy high-priced things because they're cute. I'm sorry your experience is with such vapid women. I've never bought a vehicle because of cute factor. If I'm spending that much money, be it a grand or two for a laptop or more than that for a vehicle, it better function as I need it. Cute be damned.

Then again, my vehicles have run the range from a quad-cab truck to an oversized SUV that I won't get smashed up in to a fuel economy car that I'm lucky I didn't get smushed up in. Yeah, I don't think cute was an adequate descriptor for any of them. The only thing that made any of them cute was the fact that I was driving them. I'd make a Pinto look cute.

I happen to like the air because it's a lighter, thinner laptop. When you're carrying around 35# worth of books, any decrease in weight is helpful. I still have to see the MBA in person to decide it's for sure what I want. I may just stick with a MB until it's time to buy my next laptop in another couple of years. But I don't see how your response was in any way conducive to 'when is Apple going to update?'.

Apple will probably upgrade the MBA to the Montevina platform when it is released this summer. It will offer improved battery life and processor performance. They will most likely upgrade the base RAM to 4 GB and also upgrade the sizes of hard disks and possibly solid state drives.
Thank you for this information.
:)

I was just kidding around with you. I agree that weight is definitely an issue. However, I feel that for a vast majority of people it will serve them better to get the Macbook. If the rumors are true then the Macbooks will be aluminum this June and there will be a fine line between all three notebook models in all except internal performance, price, and in the MBAs case thinness.

A thing to note when you get into medical school you really won't be carrying around many books. Most of what you have will be notes in binders so your bag will be pretty light. The Macbook is a pretty light computer also.

As for the Macbook Air I would also assume it will be updated in the summer to improve battery life. Of course these are all rumors but in general it is a relatively safe bet.

O by the way, the cuteness of your vehicle has to be proven with photographs of you driving.

If you're used to PC, its going to take a while to get used to Macs. I have both.. and I'm starting to use my iMac more.

I was just kidding around with you. I agree that weight is definitely an issue. However, I feel that for a vast majority of people it will serve them better to get the Macbook. If the rumors are true then the Macbooks will be aluminum this June and there will be a fine line between all three notebook models in all except internal performance, price, and in the MBAs case thinness.

A thing to note when you get into medical school you really won't be carrying around many books. Most of what you have will be notes in binders so your bag will be pretty light. The Macbook is a pretty light computer also.

As for the Macbook Air I would also assume it will be updated in the summer to improve battery life. Of course these are all rumors but in general it is a relatively safe bet.

O by the way, the cuteness of your vehicle has to be proven with photographs of you driving.
Sorry! My 'kidding' meter must be broken today. Or severely compromised by lack of sleep.

So is June a big 'update' time for Macs? Should I just wait until after June to get another laptop? Because ya'll do not understand....I will be sore if I buy something and 30 days later something better hits the market. Whether it be a MB or MBA. Pretty much not willing to drop the extra $ for the MBP. It's more than I need.

Slowly getting used to having just a desktop again. I've already got my wireless hooked up to my PC and started carrying pen and paper around again for class. Still desperately miss my MB but think I got a great deal on it. If I didn't, I don't want to know about it.

So is June a big 'update' time for Macs? Should I just wait until after June to get another laptop? Because ya'll do not understand....I will be sore if I buy something and 30 days later something better hits the market. Whether it be a MB or MBA. Pretty much not willing to drop the extra $ for the MBP. It's more than I need.

June is the WWDC for Apple. Jobs gets on a platform, wows the crowd with the newest developments, and gets big press. Year after year, their line is updated in June. In time for the summer rush to colleges, etc.

Of course, this is preceded by everyone guessing what the big updates will be.

June is the WWDC for Apple. Jobs gets on a platform, wows the crowd with the newest developments, and gets big press. Year after year, their line is updated in June. In time for the summer rush to colleges, etc.

Of course, this is preceded by everyone guessing what the big updates will be.

Consumer products are rarely updated in June. WWDC is a developer event. Instead it's best to follow MacRumor's buying guide.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

I'd personally go for a refurbished MB/MBP as they are very reliable, look brand new, and are several hundred dollars cheaper. These units come from people who buy the system but take it back because they don't want it anymore. They have also been checked out and had parts replaced if need be. Unlike other manufacturers, they care a full 1-year warranty, with an option of buying a 3-year warranty.

Refurbished Macs

I just got a macbook.. LOVE it. I am starting class at Western in August, and I have heard the program they use to stream lectures online is called APRESO and it does not play on macs? Does anyone know a way to get this to play without installing windows on my new mac? I really don't want to go that route.

I just got a macbook.. LOVE it. I am starting class at Western in August, and I have heard the program they use to stream lectures online is called APRESO and it does not play on macs? Does anyone know a way to get this to play without installing windows on my new mac? I really don't want to go that route.
Who told you that? This is a company a family member helped found, and it does support Macs through Safari and Flash.

works in firefox too

and if absolutely necessary, you could always run windows within vmware fusion

Thanks for the info! I'm glad I wont have to use windows on my lovely virus free mac. I had heard that from the tech support at Western when I called to ask some questions about what laptop to get for school. They recommended windows vista... but I'm very glad I can make the macbook work.

Consumer products are rarely updated in June. WWDC is a developer event. Instead it's best to follow MacRumor's buying guide.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Wikipedia:
2007: iPhone released June 29
2006: MacPro released Aug 07
2004: Widescreen displays introduced, OSX Tiger
2003: Power Mac G5, OSX Panther
2002: OSX 10.2

I'd say those are relevant to consumers. Yes, MacRumors breaks news quicker. Point is, there are always new products in the summer, shooing kids off to college, traditionally one of Mac's biggest markets.

I recently got me a black macbook and I’m loving it! There’s no way I’m going back to windows! It just so much faster, stable, lighter, you name it! I love the search option it has on the desktop, and all the programs available to download for free. Yes, it was pricy but IMHO was worthy.