Yay I Got an Interview . . . What now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laura_mideon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All!!!

I just received my email that I have an interview at UBC for the pharmacy program . . and was wondering if any of you have any advice on how to prepare for the interview . . I am in shock right now, but I only have 13 days to prepare so any help would be much appreciated!!!!!

(And if anyone has any firsthand experience with UBC I would soooooo appreciate any advice too!!)

Members don't see this ad.

laura_mideon said:
Hi All!!!

I just received my email that I have an interview at UBC for the pharmacy program . . and was wondering if any of you have any advice on how to prepare for the interview . . I am in shock right now, but I only have 13 days to prepare so any help would be much appreciated!!!!!

(And if anyone has any firsthand experience with UBC I would soooooo appreciate any advice too!!)

Congrats!!!

13 days is plenty of time to prepare! Make sure you have your transportation and accomodations set up first, and plan on giving yourself a little more time than usual the day of the interview. (I always wake up at 6am! :) )

Definitely research the school thoroughly...note what you like about the school and any questions you may have about the program i.e. class size, when they have their rotations, curriculum, student organizations etc. Make sure you are able to answer questions like: Why Pharmacy? Why UBC? What are your weaknesses and strengths? (somebody posted a great checklist on this site somewhere...)

REMEMBER to RELAX and be yourself!!! GOOD LUCK!

13 days is a lot! Texas Southern University sent out a letter to me dated on april 17 that i received an interview. I received my letter on april 18 and my interview was on april 21! insane!

definitely look at the pharmacy interview questionnaires on SDN. that helped me out a lot and everything else vandykitten said. good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
First, breathe.

Second, write down everything, from the questions you'd expect and ones you've read from here to questions you have. Read up on the school, the classes and reach out to year 1 students already there. Note cards are your friend, take them places and commit the ideas and thoughts (not the strict text) to memory.

Third practice... A lot, get someone who can be rough but constructive to role play with you. Have them play various character types if you get nervous in new settings or talking to new people. If you are an extrovert, this should come naturally. If you are like me and more of an introvert, practice 5 times more. I've found that going on interviews (quadi-old fart alert), became easier the more I did it and the more prepared I felt.

Lastly breathe. Seems silly really, but taking a deep breath before it starts and before you answer the questions you are nervous about helps focus the mind.

Laura, first tip- Don't whistle on the elevator. ;)

Ok seriously, here are some sample interview questions that I found helpful. If you have an idea how you would answer most of these questions you will probably seem pretty comfortable during the interview. http://www.westernu.edu/prospective/sample.xml

laura_mideon said:
Hi All!!!

Congrats laura_mideon :D ,

From my experience I've found it very important to go over my personal statement and other materals in my application. More than likely a lot of questions could come from there...also know why you want to be a pharmacist...it may seem like an easy answer but under the pressure of an interview committee it's crazy. One more thing, know a little about the school's curriculum (in my case Touro has a 2 year didactic and 2 yr pharm roation) because it will help to refer back to things about the school and how they distinguish themselves apart from everyone else. Finally, be yourself...don’t answer what you may think they would like to hear because it’s been done before...they want innovative thinkers on their team even if it’s not popular opinion.

Thanks for all your replies. I am beginning to feel calmer. I always have the issue with interviews that I don't know how much energy to show. I want to seem calm and collected but I don't want to seem like I am boring or not that interested. This is scary. They interview about 200 and accept 140, is that the normal numbers for pharmacy schools?
Wearing a pant suit sounds like a good idea.
Wow, this is so crazy. I don't even have all my pre-reqs done in time, the pharmacy advisor told me I had no chance so I shouldn't apply, and I applied anyways and look where it got me! Proof of why not to listen to "the man"...lol

Try to give lots of emotion, both in your words, and facial/body expressions. Have ideas/opinions on where the future of pharmacy is headed. Be sure to know what type of pharmacist you'd like to become (retail, hospital, industrial or academic).

Don't assume that they've reviewed your personal statement. When I interviewed at Wilkes U., they hadn't, so I took that opportunity to explain to them about my career change, etc. Apparently they liked what I said because I was accepted.

BTB said:
Don't assume that they've reviewed your personal statement. When I interviewed at Wilkes U., they hadn't, so I took that opportunity to explain to them about my career change, etc. Apparently they liked what I said because I was accepted.

Wow, congratulations!!! Really? They hadn't reviewed your file? I've heard that alot of the questions come from there and I've also heard that none of the questions come from your file, at my school, so I have no idea, I'm trying to prepare for both scenarios. Are you starting in september? Wow, you must be so excited!

laura_mideon said:
Wow, congratulations!!! Really? They hadn't reviewed your file? I've heard that alot of the questions come from there and I've also heard that none of the questions come from your file, at my school, so I have no idea, I'm trying to prepare for both scenarios. Are you starting in september? Wow, you must be so excited!

That was just their policy with the interviews. I started to bring up what I used to do, and they just kind of had blank looks on their faces, and I asked them, "Have you had a chance to go through my file?" I'm sure someone had read it, just not my interviewers.

In September I am going to Temple (way closer to home than Wilkes, AND cheaper).

Things change from school to school. Try to be prepared, as you said, for both scenarios. Reading the interview feedback really helped me. I read a lot of them, postive & negative, and not just for the schools where I was preparing to interview.

BTB said:
Reading the interview feedback really helped me. I read a lot of them, postive & negative, and not just for the schools where I was preparing to interview.

Oh that's a great idea! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
UBC has one review up. It's listed as "Canada: University of British Columbia" on the list.

I can ask that the other Canadian schools be added if that would be helpful. I don't know the school names, offhand. Are there 8 altogether?

How'd the interview go?

So.... how did the interview go? :thumbup:

SomeGuy said:
How'd the interview go?

It went really well, but the people were nice so for all I know, my answers could have sucked and they still would've been nice.

laura_mideon said:
They interview about 200 and accept 140, is that the normal numbers for pharmacy schools?

that's actually pretty high (70%), in comparison to some west coast schools' admissions rates (5%-13%). but that's good for you =) good luck

Well, don't forget that not everyone is invited for an interview, they may very well have 1000+ applicants.

endlesslove said:
that's actually pretty high (70%), in comparison to some west coast schools' admissions rates (5%-13%). but that's good for you =) good luck

only 5-13% of interviewees get in? How many do they interview? That seems a bit nuts.

laura_mideon said:
only 5-13% of interviewees get in? How many do they interview? That seems a bit nuts.
No what that means is...
If the rate of admission is 5-13% that is the rate of admisson for the entire thousand, even the people that dont get an interview.

Didn't you say that they take 140 of the 200 interviewed. Wouldn't that mean you have a 70% change of gettin in once you get to the interview stage. I mean i am not sure if thats right either, but where you have a 70 % change of gettin in at this point, the rate of admission could still be 5-13. If there were 1000 applicants they accept 14 percent. I donno if im right.

Hell, I am just wondering if all the naysay that "It's so competitive and nearly impossible to get in" has been around all along. Despite the growth of the field, I have to believe that much of this talk has been around forever.

Brock1385 said:
Hell, I am just wondering if all the naysay that "It's so competitive and nearly impossible to get in" has been around all along. Despite the growth of the field, I have to believe that much of this talk has been around forever.

go ahead and apply and see for yourself! :rolleyes:

Brock1385 said:
No what that means is...
If the rate of admission is 5-13% that is the rate of admisson for the entire thousand, even the people that dont get an interview.

Didn't you say that they take 140 of the 200 interviewed. Wouldn't that mean you have a 70% change of gettin in once you get to the interview stage. I mean i am not sure if thats right either, but where you have a 70 % change of gettin in at this point, the rate of admission could still be 5-13. If there were 1000 applicants they accept 14 percent. I donno if im right.

I was talking to one of the inreviewers, (a pharmacist), he told me that they are going to interview 300 applicants and accept 150. This is higher from last year. I have applied, but I was told that they are going to interview july 27,28 and 29th. The second round of interviews

lal said:
I was talking to one of the inreviewers, (a pharmacist), he told me that they are going to interview 300 applicants and accept 150. This is higher from last year. I have applied, but I was told that they are going to interview july 27,28 and 29th. The second round of interviews

What school? ubc?

laura_mideon said:
Are you serious? That sucks so much! That makes my chances so much worse.....omg
I don't know about that. I think you have an excellent chance since you were interviewed in the first group.

Again good luck.

lal said:
I don't know about that. I think you have an excellent chance since you were interviewed in the first group.

Again good luck.

The first group has higher chances? Have they contacted you for an interview yet?
Thanks, good luck 2 u too! :D

laura_mideon said:
The first group has higher chances? Have they contacted you for an interview yet?
Thanks, good luck 2 u too! :D
No, I am still waiting. They are going to let us know next week. I am still waiting.

Why would they have 2 groups interviewing nearly 3 weeks apart? First group the elite students and the second group to fill the few spaces left. :D

If you don't mind how was your interview experince?

lal said:
No, I am still waiting. They are going to let us know next week. I am still waiting.

Why would they have 2 groups interviewing nearly 3 weeks apart? First group the elite students and the second group to fill the few spaces left. :D

Hmmm....I just assumed that they would just interview some people who sent their grades in early, and then do the rest after, to save time, cuz the rest of the applications were complete, just one semester worth of grades to come in. But hey......I won't argue if they label me "elite".. :D

The experience was just like any other interview....I'm sorry I can't give more details, I signed a confidentiality agreement not to disclose interview details until after all students have been interviewed b/c they ask the same questions to everyone.

lal said:

If this comes up as a duplicate I'm sorry, I already replied to this but it didn't show up. Umm, what I said was the interview was good, but I can't go into details til july because at the interview I signed a confidentiality agreement not to disclose interview details to anyone because there are still many more interviews at the end of june. Sorry I can't help more right now..... :oops:

laura_mideon said:
If this comes up as a duplicate I'm sorry, I already replied to this but it didn't show up. Umm, what I said was the interview was good, but I can't go into details til july because at the interview I signed a confidentiality agreement not to disclose interview detai.s to anyone because there are still many more interviews at the end of june. Sorry I can't help more right now..... :oops:

That is cool and totally understandable. I was looking at your previous posts, and saw that you were part of pre-pharmacy club. Was that at UBC?

lal said:
That is cool and totally understandable. I was looking at your previous posts, and saw that you were part of pre-pharmacy club. Was that at UBC?

NO, it was at my college.

I just got an email from UBC pharmacy. I got accepted! :) Did anyone else get accepted into UBC pharm?

metalclown said:
I just got an email from UBC pharmacy. I got accepted! :) Did anyone else get accepted into UBC pharm?
I also got an e-mail from UBC today saying I got accepted. :)

I too got an interview too.

I got an email from UBC on thursday informing me I was accepted! Congrats guys, and see you in the fall! :thumbup:

Edited to change letter to email.

Yay I got in too!!!!!!! See you guys in September!!!

laura_mideon said:
Yay I got in too!!!!!!! See you guys in September!!!
Congrads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been fun rooting for you guys, congrats!!!!!!!!

Thank you guys soooo much!! This has been super stressful cuz first they told me I didn't get in, about 10 days ago, and I was obviously very upset....I didn't even really tell many people yet that I didn't get in cuz I was embarassed. Then last night at about 7:30pm the associate dean of pharmacy called me and told me there had been a mix up and I really did get in and she apologized and everything and she also sent me an email that said if I already made other plans cuz they said no, that they would hold a seat for me in future years......I was like "that's ok!! I'll start september, you just made me want that seat soooooooooo much more!!"

Congrads! Its good to hear things worked out for you! I was super worried that they would send me an email saying their offer of addmission to me was an error!

Did they give you much information on the nature of the mix-up?

PotatoSalad said:
Congrads! Its good to hear things worked out for you! I was super worried that they would send me an email saying their offer of addmission to me was an error!

Did they give you much information on the nature of the mix-up?

No she didn't give me much info, but I was at a wedding when she called me so I couldn't talk much...I'm curious to know, but I guess it doesn't make a difference now!
And I'm sure they're not going to send you an error email!
The funny thing is, I'm not normally like over confident or anything but for some reason when I got the rejection email, I was like "this has to be a mistake" and I kept checking to see if I got a correction email from them....my boyfriend was like "how did you know??"......just a feeling I guess....but strange!