YAY for non-trads taking the jan. MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zebalong

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
BEST of luck!!!

I'm so freakin excited!! i want to get this c**p over with. No more trying to study between triaging patients, or answering the ring down phone that never ends! or trying to study and absorb the material when im at home half dead from balancing work and school. GIVE ME MY LIFE BACK! =).. k sorry just been a little crazy studying for the last 3 months. :p

the whole mcat thing isn't impossible but it is freakin all consuming...

Members don't see this ad.

BEST of luck!!!

I'm so freakin excited!! i want to get this c**p over with. No more trying to study between triaging patients, or answering the ring down phone that never ends! or trying to study and absorb the material when im at home half dead from balancing work and school. GIVE ME MY LIFE BACK! =).. k sorry just been a little crazy studying for the last 3 months. :p

Good luck to you. I remember how tough that whole stage was. I was working, taking classes and studying too. Be positive and confident and you'll do well. Wish I could tell you that applying was less stressful, but wouldn't want to lie to you. At least I'm done with that too! But for now, just nail the test!

BEST of luck!!!

Good luck--may the force be with you.:luck:

I'll be taking it on Saturday for the THIRD TIME. (The PS section has been my nemesis--ran out of time and couldn't finish all the questions, leading to a terrible score.) This is my last best hope to try to squeeze out an interview in NYC so I can stay with my family.

Members don't see this ad :)
student, if PS is your nemesis but you're doing well in BS, it may be that you need to work on your math skills. Keep in mind that the test-makers know that you don't have a calculator and that you're working under a strict time limit. To finish quickly on PS, you need to be good at estimating rather than plodding through calculations via the brute force method. If you are doing anything more than the most basic calculating, then you are working too hard, and there is probably an easier way to solve the problem and/or use estimation to rule out the wrong answer choices.

Best of luck to all of you. :luck:

student, if PS is your nemesis but you're doing well in BS, it may be that you need to work on your math skills. Keep in mind that the test-makers know that you don't have a calculator and that you're working under a strict time limit. To finish quickly on PS, you need to be good at estimating rather than plodding through calculations via the brute force method. If you are doing anything more than the most basic calculating, then you are working too hard, and there is probably an easier way to solve the problem and/or use estimation to rule out the wrong answer choices.

Hi, Q. I think you're right on target with your comments: my problem is about speed. (Why wouldn't you be right? You're an MCAT goddess!) But I do feel the need to say that I don't have a problem with math at all: I got A in precalc, A+ in calculus and A+ in stats at my postbacc program (an Ivy school), on top of working in finance for 20 years. It bothers me a bit when people assume I must be rusty in math, just because I'm a little slow in the PS section.

In fact, I did well on the PS section (all 10's and 11's) on 12 full-length practice exams (both AAMC and Kaplan), but on the real-life MCAT I got bogged down on 1 or 2 hard passages each time, and this destroyed my pacing. The first time I was very nervous, and the second time much less so--but still enough to let the timing get away from me at the very end. I guess my biggest problem is that I have a gut-level aversion to guessing, even though I know I should do it, because I have a strong drive to get the Right Answer each time. I've been working really hard on letting go of that.

I've ground through both volumes of the Berkeley Review physics books, and I think my pacing has really improved, so I'm hopeful I can tackle the real-life PS successfully this time. As you advised, I've gotten much better at estimating answers and getting a feel for when to guess and move on.

Nonetheless, if I leave even one question unfinished, I'm going to void, because I can't afford the risk of my score going DOWN. So I feel like I'm giving myself another chance to nail this, and if it doesn't happen, no damage done.

Hi, Q. I think you're right on target with your comments: my problem is about speed. (Why wouldn't you be right? You're an MCAT goddess!) But I do feel the need to say that I don't have a problem with math at all: I got A in precalc, A+ in calculus and A+ in stats at my postbacc program (an Ivy school), on top of working in finance for 20 years. It bothers me a bit when people assume I must be rusty in math, just because I'm a little slow in the PS section.
I'm sure you are very good at calculus and stats; please don't take my previous post to suggest that you wouldn't do well in math classes or that you aren't good at math in general. Unfortunately, the things you mentioned are not the math skills that get tested on the MCAT. At most, all that is required is a good grasp of algebra and the most basic of trig. What you really need to do well on PS is to have a sense of the kind of answer you're looking for, as well as a ballpark of what a reasonable answer would be. In other words, many questions can be answered quickly based on a good intuitive grasp of the concept being tested, without *any* calculation being required. The difficulty a lot of students have is that their first instinct is to go for plugging numbers into some equation. That means they take longer to answer the question, thus wasting time unnecessarily.

As far as your aversion goes, I would agree that random guessing isn't a very good strategy, but educated guessing definitely is. :)

You'll do great on PS this time!! I used to have that problem too doing TPR passages which are a little trickier then AAMC. I'm not sure how much my advice counts since i haven't taken the real thing but i definitely improved my scores (from 8-10 for the first practice diag's to consistently 12-13 on all 8 AAMC) by if i didn't get a calculation on my first go around i canceled out the two answers i know it can't be usually the two extreme's and chose the middle one- marked the question incase i had time to do it later and moved on. This strat has helped me a lot, i know the PAIN of doing a guestimation on a calc question that you feel that you can get.. but so many times in the begining i was running out of time and that hurts even more because often i would look at the quetsions at the end and i knew if i had just time to read them i coulda gotten them right. It is always just how many questions you can get right no matter which questions they are, i feel i always maximize my chances of getting the most right by guesstimation vs making sure i have the right answer everytime. Now i finish with at least 5 minutes at the end to go over any questions i skipped because of time issues... best of luck!! not that you'll need it with all that killer prep you did :xf: And yea, i hate those passages where you look at the screen and go... wtf? o_O

You'll do great on PS this time!! I used to have that problem too doing TPR passages which are a little trickier then AAMC. I'm not sure how much my advice counts since i haven't taken the real thing but i definitely improved my scores (from 8-10 for the first practice diag's to consistently 12-13 on all 8 AAMC)

Thanks for the encouragement, and I'm glad to hear that your own prep is going well. But I just want to give you a heads-up: lately the PS on the real-life MCAT has been SIGNIFICANTLY harder than on the practice AAMCs (and I took them all--even got 13 in PS on #10).

I know this seems crazy, given that the AAMCs are real past MCATs, but it's real. (Check recent threads in the MCAT discussion board if you want to hear what recent test takers have to say.) Yes, there is some inevitable exaggeration factor: every MCAT cohort thinks their test was the hardest ever. But I really think there's some objective truth to it. For instance, there were absolutely NO torque problems on any of the practice tests I took--yet on my first actual MCAT, there was a whole series of such problems involving two orbiting spaceships tied together with a rope, and another problem involving the torque on a person's hip joint. These problems were fiendish, not so much because I suck at torque (I'm actually pretty good at those problems), but because I was totally surprised to get this topic when it hadn't been tested before.

I used Kaplan, not TPR, but their PS sections were also harder than the practice AAMCs. IMHO, you should expect the real MCAT PS section to be more like Kaplan or TPR than the AAMCs (maybe a little easier, but not a lot). The other observation I'd make is that with the computerized MCAT being given so frequently, there is now ENORMOUS variability in the content of sections from test to test--in other words, it's luck of the draw what you get tested on. My first PS section was very heavy on physics, but people who took it 2 days later got a lot of chem, and I would have RULED on that. So you have to be prepared for anything. Good luck.

And yea, i hate those passages where you look at the screen and go... wtf? o_O
LOL. My "WTF?" area is definitely E&M, which of course was heavily tested on the MCATs I took. Whenever I have to use the right-hand rule, I wish I could tell the AAMC people to take their right hand and stick it up their ... nose.

As i've trolled the boards (yay for 12 hours at triage!), i've noticed that people do state that the real MCAT seems harder but similiar to the AAMC... i know it is hard and very subjective what is "harder". Do you believe it is because the real AAMC tests you on different material then what their practice AAMC did or is the actual depth of question tougher... or what is your opinion on it student1799? People always have middle the road answers *shrug* haha They also say the curve is more generous in the real thing, did you find that to be true?

As i've trolled the boards (yay for 12 hours at triage!), i've noticed that people do state that the real MCAT seems harder but similiar to the AAMC... i know it is hard and very subjective what is "harder". Do you believe it is because the real AAMC tests you on different material then what their practice AAMC did or is the actual depth of question tougher... or what is your opinion on it student1799? People always have middle the road answers *shrug* haha They also say the curve is more generous in the real thing, did you find that to be true?

Of course it's highly subjective, but it seems that BOTH the topics tested and the individual questions are harder now. The first MCAT I took had several of those "WTF?" passages, where you just stare at them and your heart sinks. Also, that PS section was VERY physics-heavy (I'd estimate about 70%), and that's definitely the weaker subject for me. Bottom line, I ran out of time with about 8 questions to go--had to leave them totally blank (didn't even have time to guess). I got a 7 on the section, because those blanks count as wrong answers.

The second MCAT was more balanced between chem and physics and felt considerably easier overall, but as I mentioned earlier, I got bogged down in one hard passage near the end and had to leave 4 questions blank. I thought this was still going to be an improvement over the first time, so imagine my reaction when I saw that I'd gotten a 7 AGAIN. I'd guess that a harder curve offset the progress I'd made in finishing more questions, leaving me with the same score.

Relative to the curve, I think it's important to point out something that's often poorly understood: the curve is set by your fellow students, NOT AAMC. What I mean is that every numerical score on an MCAT section is really a percentile range: for instance, a score of 10 means a percentile rank that is usually centered around the 75th percentile, although the number of right answers needed to get this score varies from section to section and test to test. You can see the percentile ranges for past exams here: http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/examineedata/pubs.htm So in order to get a 10, you need to score better than 75% of the students who took YOUR exam (this is determined after the test is scored).

These tables don't tell you the raw scores behind the percentiles, because AAMC doesn't release them to test takers. (I've always thought that was pretty obnoxious.) But you can get some idea by looking here: http://www.e-mcat.com/ (You can register for free, then look under "MCAT Scoring."). These are the scaled score tables for the AAMC practice tests. If you look at them, you'll see that the number right needed for a given scaled score in the same section (say, PS) can vary by 2-4 points from test to test. That fluctuation is due to how test takers performed on exams of varying difficulty. (An easier exam will mean a higher raw score is needed to get the same percentile rank, while a lower raw score would be needed to get that rank on a harder exam.)

AAMC influences the curve by the difficulty of the questions, but the test takers are an unknown variable: if they do unusually well, this will push up the curve, while if they are more test-challenged, the curve will be lower. This can't be predicted in advance, so the notion that AAMC is "more generous" with the curve is really a misconception. As a general rule, I would be wary of the notion that "the curve will bail you out," because it probably won't.

Wow, student1799! You are persistent. Best of luck to you!!:thumbup:

Yes best of luck student1799, ill be right there taking it along with you. =)

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be taking it on Saturday for the THIRD TIME. (The PS section has been my nemesis--ran out of time and couldn't finish all the questions, leading to a terrible score.) This is my last best hope to try to squeeze out an interview in NYC so I can stay with my family.

Holy crap, student! I knew you had been planning a retake, but I kinda forgot about all that with all your interview success. I am crazy-impressed that you're doing this (although I understand your motivation), given that you've been flying all over the country for interviews over the past few weeks . . . I can't imagine the stressball that has been your life recently - hats off!

GOOD LUCK!!!! I didn't get my proper vengeance on the beast, so I'm trusting that you'll do it for me. Slay it! :thumbup:

Sleep well tonight, have a GREAT testing session tomorrow, and then CELEBRATE tomorrow night! :hardy:

Good post Q. I am terrible in math (i.e. barely got through Calculus:scared:) but became very good at estimating on the PS section. That saved my *** on the real deal. I am still terrible in math/loathe math though.

I have slain the MCAT beast--at least I think so. I'm not going to predict the exact number, but judging by the way things went this morning, I'm SURE that I meaningfully improved my PS score. (Hopefully the other sections stayed about the same, although my bio may have gotten a bit rusty after not studying it for a few months.)

After drilling myself on physics problems day and night, I actually seem to have gotten the pacing down. I finished every question in PS with 20 SECONDS TO SPARE!! How cool is that?

It certainly helped that the problems (not only on PS, but in general) were MUCH more reasonable than the gut-wrenchingly hideous tests I took in July and August. Of course that means the curve is going to be tougher, but you've got to take the good with the bad.

I just hope the score comes in time to do me some good in this year's admissions process. Obviously I'm dying for some NY love, but given the way things have gone at schools where I've interviewed, I may well need a better MCAT score to help me get off waitlists.

Regardless, I'm SO GLAD this is over. " 'O frabjous day, calloo callay!' she chortled in her joy."

I have slain the MCAT beast--at least I think so. I'm not going to predict the exact number, but judging by the way things went this morning, I'm SURE that I meaningfully improved my PS score. (Hopefully the other sections stayed about the same, although my bio may have gotten a bit rusty after not studying it for a few months.)

After drilling myself on physics problems day and night, I actually seem to have gotten the pacing down. I finished every question in PS with 20 SECONDS TO SPARE!! How cool is that?

It certainly helped that the problems (not only on PS, but in general) were MUCH more reasonable than the gut-wrenchingly hideous tests I took in July and August. Of course that means the curve is going to be tougher, but you've got to take the good with the bad.

I just hope the score comes in time to do me some good in this year's admissions process. Obviously I'm dying for some NY love, but given the way things have gone at schools where I've interviewed, I may well need a better MCAT score to help me get off waitlists.

Regardless, I'm SO GLAD this is over. " 'O frabjous day, calloo callay!' she chortled in her joy."

That's amazing student. I can't imagine taking the MCAT again in the midst of med school applications/interviews. I know your hard work is going to pay off. Keep us updated on the score. :thumbup:

student1799 great job!! horaah you owned it, im sure you did great :)

i got so worried about your comments of finishing PS on time that i ended up finishing with 15 minutes to spare... lol o well, overall mod/easy test, hope the curve isn't too ugly since most of it was easy, except the verbal was a bit challenging. But either way i think i did all that i was capable of doing, so no matter the outcome i don't think im giong to retake.

about the degree of difficulty of the test recently. I took the 5/23/08 test.

The AAMC practice tests are MUCH easier than the real test.

The Kaplan practice tests are slightly harder than the real test.

IMHO.

Hey congrats on making it through the MCAT and getting all those additional interviews. Sorry that I didn't get to post more often on here but I've been a bit preoccupied lately. Have you gotten any positive news from the schools that you interviewed at?

I just want to make sure that you're OK for this year and since the PAC application dateline is on Feb. 16th. If you get waitlisted or don't hear back from any of the schools by then, just make sure that you resubmit an update by then.

I just want to make sure that you're OK for this year and since the PAC application dateline is on Feb. 16th. If you get waitlisted or don't hear back from any of the schools by then, just make sure that you resubmit an update by then.

I've never heard of PAC. Can you tell me what it is?

Have you gotten any positive news from the schools that you interviewed at?

I have a total of 5 interviews, of which I've been on 4 already (GW is coming up on the 12th). So far I've gotten 2 decisions (SUNY Upstate and EVMS), which have both been waitlists. My chances don't look great at Upstate, since I'm not on their High Priority waitlist, but I might actually have a shot at EVMS, depending on how high on the list I am (don't know yet because I just got the letter Saturday). They seem to waitlist most OOS students before admitting them, and I hear that there's generally a decent amount of movement on the OOS waitlist. So we'll see.

Last edited:
I've never heard of PAC. Can you tell me what it is?

PAC is the Premedical Application Committee Packet that you are supposed to fill out by February the year before you apply. It's the big 20 page outline of activities and essay that you send to the pre-professional office so that either Megan or Niki can write a committee letter for you.

Did you talk with anyone in the pre-professional office this year before applying? I'm fairly certain you need a committee letter from Columbia, it's also more convenient since they collect and send out all the recommendation letters from your professors.

I just wanted to make sure that you've already talked with one of the advisors about reapplying next summer if the schools don't take you off the waitlist. You have enough interviews that you'll probably get in, but if you do not have an acceptance by Feb. 16th, I would really suggest that you meet with someone from the pre-professional office so that you can update them with regards to your application, they might be willing to write another letter for you to get you off the waitlist. Anyway, it's always a good idea to let them know that you plan on reapplying if you don't get in this year, that way, they'll keep your recommendation letters and application in their file.

PAC is the Premedical Application Committee Packet that you are supposed to fill out by February the year before you apply. It's the big 20 page outline of activities and essay that you send to the pre-professional office so that either Megan or Niki can write a committee letter for you.

Did you talk with anyone in the pre-professional office this year before applying? I'm fairly certain you need a committee letter from Columbia,

Oh, now I understand. You're talking about the UNDERGRAD premed committee, which is why I didn't recognize that PAC acronym. I have to go through the POSTBACC premed committee, which is an entirely separate entity with its own procedures and deadlines. (Their normal deadline for graduating postbaccs is January 22nd, almost a month earlier than the undergrad committee. I told you they were hard on us!)

Of course I've been in touch with my adviser throughout this whole process, and she hasn't suggested that I file any new paperwork. I think that if I need to reapply (which hopefully won't happen), they probably have an expedited procedure I can use, since I've already been through the whole process already.

But for now, I'm just going to concentrate on getting in THIS year. Sufficient unto the day ...

It's almost been a full month, best of luck student1799, i know you have a lot riding on these scores (we all have a lot invested in these scores for our own reasons so you're not alone!). 3 full days and scores are scheduled to be released... ;):luck::xf:

It's almost been a full month, best of luck student1799, i know you have a lot riding on these scores (we all have a lot invested in these scores for our own reasons so you're not alone!). 3 full days and scores are scheduled to be released... ;):luck::xf:

Hey, good luck to you too! :luck::luck::luck:

im done with the test! 35 R!

Wow, congrats on that great score !!!:hardy:

I'm pleased with mine too, although I only got a 33R: 12 PS 11 VR 10 BS. My verbal went down 2 points and bio went down a point, but PS went up 5 POINTS!!!!!!!!!!! (Guess I'm not a ****** after all.)

Hope it's not too late to get some NY love ...

Awesome news, student! And zebalong! Outstanding, both of you. :)

Wow, congrats on that great score !!!:hardy:

I'm pleased with mine too, although I only got a 33R: 12 PS 11 VR 10 BS. My verbal went down 2 points and bio went down a point, but PS went up 5 POINTS!!!!!!!!!!! (Guess I'm not a ****** after all.)

Hope it's not too late to get some NY love ...

5 points!!!! thats freakin amazing! :thumbup::thumbup:

I'm so happy for you, you really deserved it. Best of luck with NY schools, keep us posted!