Y'all deserve better!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TexasMomma

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please take a couple of minutes and read this.

I am not a doctor, but was a nurse for 15 years. I wanted to give you Pain management doctors a shout out and a thanks! I will tell you why...

I found this site searching for new treatments and spent quite some time reading.

You see I am a 35 yr old mother, wife, daughter, and nurse.

About 10 years ago I had surgery for 2 ruptured disc's. It went well. Unfortunately 7 years later I started having trouble again. I can't remember a incident that caused the onset of pain. It was gradual.

I did the PT, massage, anti inflammatory meds, and a series of ESI'S. Magic! I felt 100% better. About 18 months later the pain started creeping in again. The first doctor was no longer in my area so my pcp referred me to a orthopedic surgeon. When I didn't want surgery (unless absolutely necessary) he referred me to pm again.

I went and he said he would do ESI'S at L4-L5. Great it worked last time. It went wrong way wrong. I should of questions why I was put to sleep for the injection in the first place, hindsight ya know.

I remember nothing for 2 days. When I woke on day 3 the pain was excruciating. Called his office to be told it was normal. Rinse and repeat same phone call for 3 weeks. Then I start wetting the bed and lost feeling in my thigh. Same phone call same answer. I waited another week and demanded to be seen.

He walked in, said well you were in pain before...so this pain is a bit worse I will just increase your medication. Handed me a script for fentanyl patches...I said I don't want this..I want to know why I am wetting the bed and can't feel my thigh? He said well its a risk you take when you get ESI'S and walked out.

Long story short I have Arachnoiditis. He doesn't care. When I finally got my records 4 months later....He gave me 7 injections. ..7?!?!

After reading many threads here...you all are great doctors and/or students. Everyone wants what is BEST for patients, many actually know what Arachnoiditis is and how to prevent it. For that I thank you!

I understand it is a risk you take when messing with the spine. I just don't want doctor to think it's okay and not try to prevent it.

I'm 35 years old, I have a 3 year old. My life is ruined as I knew it. I am determined to find a doctor who knows how to treat it without mass amounts of narcotics.

But thank you for being compassionate doctors, thank you for doing things right...Thank you for not thinking every person who walks into your clinic is a drug addict. I am not but right now I'm being treated with high dose narcotics. ..and I would give anything...to never take a pill again.

I am relived to see that some of the students will be great doctors and some of you are great doctors.

By the way, I don't plan on suing for malpractice...even though I think he was a crappy doctor...you know why...because it just makes it harder for good doctors to practice.

Thanks again!

PS.... I would like to stick him with a needle in his hind end though..fair is fair right?

Members don't see this ad.

Open forum and cannot provide medical advice.

For theoretical patient in similar situation.

Detox, SCS, lawsuit.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the encouragement TexasMomma. I'm terribly sorry to hear about your experience

Lawsuit? Don't listen to everything that Steve says on here.

Texas Momma, I think your view of not pursuing lawsuits is more lucid. It doesn't help those physicians and providers that are doing good.

Sorry to hear your story, hopefully your current doctors can help you.