Yale vs. Michigan for Epi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Winsalk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have to choose either Yale or Michigan for an MPH in Epidemiology. I am particularly interested in combining epi, ehs, and policy courses into my coursework. Which has the stronger Epi program? Are they pretty much on even footing in terms of reputation? I am interested in mental health and the environment's influence on neurodevelopment and brain disorders. Does Michigan pretty much dominate in these research topics?

Also, it looks like a couple of Yale CDE professors do psychosocial epidemiology research, which seems interesting. Is this a fairly new research topic? What kind of progress has been made in this field?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you want to do environmental epidemiology, the entire EHS department at Yale is focused on that. If you have other EHS work you're interested in, like risk assessment, exposure assessment, or toxicology, Yale is weak in those areas.

If you want to do environmental epidemiology, the entire EHS department at Yale is focused on that. If you have other EHS work you're interested in, like risk assessment, exposure assessment, or toxicology, Yale is weak in those areas.

It's hard to make a decision on what research I like. I think that's probably why I should go to University of Michigan since it has so many more options. I have seen at least five professors at Yale, though, who I'd be interested in working with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any strong opinions (positive or negative) about University of Michigan's Epi program?

does anyone know how strong yale is in social epidemiology?