Yale vs. Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mph10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I'm currently debating between Columbia (SMS) and Yale (SBS) for my MPH next year. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I say Columbia all the way!

Reasons: (based on loc)

1. it's in NYC! it can't get any better :D
2. ranked # 6 as opposed to yale's rank
3. it's NYC, baby!

Yale:
okay, fine... it's a great school, yada yada yada lol BUT can you picture yourself living out in the what I like to call "yawnsville" :)

It's funny I am deciding between Columbia and Emory, and I think I'm leaning towards Emory....maybe Columbia.... maybe Emory! I can't decide :eek:....

Thanks!

My main attraction to Yale is the small class size. As much as I like 99% of Columbia better, that's something I just can't get around.

For whatever that's worth, I visited Emory and Columbia and spoke to a fair number of faculty at each and the main difference between the two that I saw is that Emory is better if you want to "practice" public health while Columbia is better if you want to be a researcher.

Members don't see this ad :)
And thank you for your input! :)

If you go with Yale, you'll be happy with the faculty. It's a very student friendly, fostering environment!

I am deciding between Columbia and Yale as well.

$$$$: Yale

Name:Yale
Grades: Yale (pass/fail)

I am not sure if I should go to Columbia, but at this time i cannot justify paying $10,000 more a year.

Thoughts?

I was accepted to Yale, Columbia and a few other programs and ended up choosing Yale. I spoke with many Yale students/alumni and they all spoke very highly about the program.

I currently live in NY, so leaving the city will be difficult, but I am excited to go to Yale which has a great campus (unlike columbia) where I can meet and interact with other students. I also found the faculty at Yale to be very supportive.

I hope that this helps!