yale vs. columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skier06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:D so i've been accepted to every program i applied (yay!!), and am left with the decision between yale chronic disease epi, and columbia epi. i'm leaning towards columbia, because i think their research more matches my interests, but i was wondering if anyone else had impressions of these schools they could share? ie which is the stronger program, what professors & classes are like, what student life is like...etc etc. i'd appreciate any input!

Members don't see this ad.

i probably go with yale.

what are your stats?

I think Columbia might have a better reputation (although only marginally so) but I loved Yale when I was there as an UG so I would say Yale.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently getting my MPH at Yale. Last year I was in a similar situation when it came down to choosing between Yale and Columbia. I am happy with my choice as I am doing global health. However there are a few problems with Yale:

- The career center has no good links to jobs. As you are in the middle of no where its hard to get into a decent organization.

- No funding for summer internships, especially if you want to do something non-profit.

- Professors are good, but they are often on leave as many hold fulltime positions at other places as well. Many are working part time with UN and other agencies.
- Housing situation is not too good, as you share the dorms with Medical students where you might feel they look down on you or you might feel a little out of place (Most MPH people get apts that is what I have).

On a positive note the school is smaller and you do get to know people and most of em are pretty cool. Hope this helps.

Hi!
You have probably already made your decision, but if it helps I was also faced this past month with Yale vs. Columbia (and actually all the schools I tried for...nice and yet an agonizing predicament to be in!)
In the end I followed the type of research I wanted, which is at Yale...regardless of ranking and the above problems. I start this fall and know of some of the isses going into it. None I feel are insurmountable.

:luck:

PS. You know certain med students seem to look down on the public health people at many schools..even though public health students often go on to med school AND isn't everyone just trying to help?!

Homer101 said:
I am currently getting my MPH at Yale. Last year I was in a similar situation when it came down to choosing between Yale and Columbia. I am happy with my choice as I am doing global health. However there are a few problems with Yale:

- The career center has no good links to jobs. As you are in the middle of no where its hard to get into a decent organization.

- No funding for summer internships, especially if you want to do something non-profit.

- Professors are good, but they are often on leave as many hold fulltime positions at other places as well. Many are working part time with UN and other agencies.
- Housing situation is not too good, as you share the dorms with Medical students where you might feel they look down on you or you might feel a little out of place (Most MPH people get apts that is what I have).

On a positive note the school is smaller and you do get to know people and most of em are pretty cool. Hope this helps.