Yale vs. Brown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSoccer

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I'm curious to know what people thought about these two programs. I liked them both, but they seemed very similar to me, and so I'm hoping to get insight from others in determining where to place them on my ROL. I know that New Haven gets a bad rep, so I know that people will say Providence is a much better place to live, etc. ASIDE from that, I'm interested to hear what people thought about the programs and the people themselves. Thanks for any help you can offer, and good luck submitting the lists!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, in the same spot as you my friend.

Loved both programs, but you're right Providence is SO MUCH better than New Haven. Yale's advantage is of course that it's Yale. And I think the program has a little bit more to offer in the way of funding, international experiences, a better fellowship match, and outstanding faculty in all disciplines (included a great public health school). Brown's got a wonderful PD, super friendly, laid back residents, and is still a top 20 program in a great city. My rank list changes every day. As for me, I'm bringing someone with me, so I can't be entirely selfish about this decision. I think if I were alone I'd rank Yale above Brown, but because I'm not, I'll probably rank Brown then Yale.

Curious what you'll pick...

I also think the programs are similar but had a slightly better opinion of Yale academically. However, I may also have to rank Brown higher due to location for spouse. Both had a great atmosphere. Any opinions on Yale vs Brown vs MGH?

Members don't see this ad :)
i have close friends in pediatrics in both. I think the atmosphere at yale is much, much better than Brown. Brown fired one of their residents without really telling her, they just didnt resign her contract. That would NEVER happen at yale. Also the Brown NICU is super intense, and they take overnight call by themselves in the PICU was Yale always has an attending or fellow with you. Yale is a super supportive pediatric program, the program director and the chief residents really have the back of the residents. There is a great backup system and you get your schedule for the whole year.

Also, New Haven is not a bad place to live, there is a great safe graduate school neighborhood where a lot of ppl live. If you want to live in the suburbs, a lot of the married residents buy small town houses or condos or even small houses. Its not as much of a ghetto as everyone says.

Good luck! Just my two cents!

Hi Wexy--
I'm just curious, what did the resident do that made Brown not renew her contract?

so this is all from my friend who is a senior res there, but basically she was a really really nice girl-- she never did anything awful (like a major medical error) but she was sort of slow and i guess the attendings didnt like her. But they never really intervened or tried to help her get better, they just didnt resign her. I know she moved to another Northeast academic program which is more supportive and she is doing better.

Ive heard of that in other, more malignant field, but never in pediatrics!

I am presently at a senior resident at Brown and was around when that resident had been "fired." As always there are two sides of a story and as far as I know she was offered renewal for her contract, given that she meet certain requirements. The whole situation left a bad taste in her mouth and she DECIDED to seek another position at another residency where she is very happy right now.

As far as my own experience here at Brown, I think that it is an excellent training program. We have a good mix of general and subspecialty care here. Our continuity clinics are great and for me the faculty has been very supportive. I admit that the NICU can be intense but where is it not. In addition unlike Yale the PICU is staffed by senior residents but I have two caveats. One, we don't have cardiothoracic patients and second there always are pediatric ED attendings willing to come up to help.

So in short, think hard about what you rank and realize that not every program is for everyone.