Yale Visit Day 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jh2723

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I did happen to be there and I left undecided, not entirely convinced, feeling the program might be a little too small for me. Anyone else there have anything else to say about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!

So I did happen to be there and I left undecided, not entirely convinced, feeling the program might be a little too small for me. Anyone else there have anything else to say about it?

Hi jh2723,
Would you mind giving more details on how the open house went? What did you like and what didn't you like? How were the students and the faculty? How is the campus?
Thank you!!!! I wasn't able to go and I would really like to know how it went.

Hey everyone!

I was there also and I thought the fact that it is such a small program was a HUGE benefit. I went to a fairly large state school for undergrad so a lot of my classes were in big 400-seat auditoriums and things like that, where you don't get a ton of one-on-one interaction with the faculty. Also, I left Yale really impressed by the "internships" people were doing in the summer. I put that in quotes because when I hear that word I think of being stuck in a cubicle at some big company, but it seemed like a ton of people were going abroad and working on very interesting projects in places like Haiti, South Africa, Peru, Romania, and China, to name a few. I highly doubt you get opportunities like that at most other programs. Plus someone said as long as you make a case for what you want to do abroad, you are able to get funding for it. Someone said they didn't know a single person who was denied funding. One more thing I liked was that you can take electives at any college within Yale. So a lot of people take classes at the Law School or School of Management. How many people get to say they took a class or two at the number 1 Law School in the country? I left very impressed

Members don't see this ad :)
The visit day was a big help just to be there. My impressions were that everyone is very friendly, and the academic environment is set up that classmates work together and help each other out instead of being competitive. Every single current student I met there was impressive, and insightful and went out of their way to be helpful.

The professors, too, were fabulous, and incredibly engaging. One professor in particular that I was hoping to speak to even started advising me on certain courses I could take and when based on what I want to do, and this was just on our lunch break.

It sounded like all the students are really self motivated and have created some incredible extracurriculars. One of the main points that they were trying to drive home is that if you want to do something, be it an internship abroad, start a new student organization, start a research project (even if a professor at SPH isn't doing that research), you can do it at Yale, and you will have a lot of support.

Also, because SPH is so small they make it a point to have events with other schools, and with the opportunity to take classes at the other schools there are also many opportunities to get out of the sph bubble (which many of the students described as a family) and meet other grad students. And like it was said above you can take classes at any other school, and that is literally at any other school, as long as you can make a case for why it is relevant. A student I met, in the Epi. of Microbial Disease division, took a film class (the professor was an oscar winner!) and his thesis is going to be a film.

The ladies at career services are great, and apparently have a mandatory meeting with everyone at the beginning of the year so they can get to know each student, and then they often send emails with events, internships and job postings that relate to each person's interests. During their presentations they were recalling the specific details of students' interests who had already graduated.

Yale's campus is incredibly beautiful, the architecture was amazing. I had to restrain myself from remarking out loud when we visited some of the libraries.

Sorry that was long. Those were my impressions, and just to be realistic there are things I don't like and mainly that would be living in New Haven. Some of the students mentioned that they came in expecting to hate it (particularly people coming from cities) and they really don't, so I imagine that will happen to me, but as of right now, not pumped about it. But Yale brings amazing events, and a lot of extracurricular activities allow students to get involved in making a difference in the New Haven community, so that can be something really positive. Alright that's enough from me.

The visit day was a big help just to be there. My impressions were that everyone is very friendly, and the academic environment is set up that classmates work together and help each other out instead of being competitive. Every single current student I met there was impressive, and insightful and went out of their way to be helpful.

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts! Super helpful...

I never thought I would go to Yale over JH when I first applied but it's really looking like it. I am visiting next Friday, so looking forward to hopefully deciding shortly after. Thanks again for taking the time!

I never thought I would go to Yale over JH when I first applied but it's really looking like it. I am visiting next Friday, so looking forward to hopefully deciding shortly after. Thanks again for taking the time!

I am visiting on April 1st! I'm still getting down the details but hopefully I'll see you there!

Thank you so much envepi for sharing! So have you decided to attend Yale in the fall?
At the open house, did Career services give any statistics on how many students found jobs after graduation? Or at least do you remember if some of them were able to find good jobs? They always say the name of the school can take you a lonnng way when searching for jobs. I wonder what true that is...
Oh and also did you get a chance to visit any of the graduate apartments or dorms?
Thanks for your help!

I am looking forward to hearing other students' reviews.

Last edited:
Thank you so much envepi for sharing! So have you decided to attend Yale in the fall?
At the open house, did Career services give any statistics on how many students found jobs after graduation? Or at least do you remember if some of them were able to find good jobs? They always say the name of the school can take you a lonnng way when searching for jobs. I wonder what true that is...
Oh and also did you get a chance to visit any of the graduate apartments or dorms?
Thanks for your help!

I am .ooking forward to hearing other students' reviews.

Haha, I'm not envepi, but I am hijacking his/her response. Career services mentioned that not everyone look for a job immediately after graduating. Some go on to medical school, PhD programs, or other stuff.

Of those that are looking for jobs, around 85% secure a job by graduation time, 90% secure a job by September, and 100% secure a job by the end of the calendar year. For others that attended the visit day, correct me if I'm horridly wrong.

I didn't visit the dorms (I decided to go off to explore Yale's old campus instead). Maybe others can comment on the dorms. :)

Haha, I'm not envepi, but I am hijacking his/her response. Career services mentioned that not everyone look for a job immediately after graduating. Some go on to medical school, PhD programs, or other stuff.

Of those that are looking for jobs, around 85% secure a job by graduation time, 90% secure a job by September, and 100% secure a job by the end of the calendar year. For others that attended the visit day, correct me if I'm horridly wrong.

I didn't visit the dorms (I decided to go off to explore Yale's old campus instead). Maybe others can comment on the dorms. :)

Lol! Thank you for your response and the information is quite helpful. Since you were so kind and jumped in to help lol: would you mind sharing your impressions on the open house and Yale in general (campus, New Heaven etc)? And have you decided to attend Yale after the open house or you are still not sure?
Thanks again!

I attended the Yale's Open House and can speak for the city of New Haven and my general impressions of the YSPH. I was pleasantly surprised by New Haven, there are quite a variety of nice restaurants and shops which have student friendly pricing. The immediate area around the Yale campus is quite nice and Yale itself is absolutely beautiful. Keep in mind though that once you venture a few blocks away New Haven becomes pretty sketchy. The faculty were very approachable and I got the feeling they really cared for their student's well being and future career/education prospects. Also the current students seemed very content at YSPH and were quite social too.

Some of the cons: Though Yale University has the most beautiful campus I've ever seen, I wasn't too impressed with the condition of the Public Health Building itself (where all of the public health classes will be taught) I also didn't leave with a clear idea of what the program has to offer--for example, taking classes across Yale University seemed like it was a big selling point, but I'm still not very clear as to how feasible this would be or what specific law or management classes I should be looking to take (if I were to go there of course)

Overall I'm sure it would be a great choice, I came to the Open House feeling really set on another school but now I'm undecided once again.

Last edited:
Lol! Thank you for your response and the information is quite helpful. Since you were so kind and jumped in to help lol: would you mind sharing your impressions on the open house and Yale in general (campus, New Heaven etc)? And have you decided to attend Yale after the open house or you are still not sure?
Thanks again!

Just to echo what intlhealth2010 said, the public health building is located in a less than stellar area. I took the MetroNorth to New Haven and walked to the campus. It is definitely not a pedestrian friendly route from the railway to the school and I had to walk through a pretty desolate area. I asked a current student about it and she seemed really surprised that I didn't take the shuttle. The neighborhood doesn't seem friendly around the public health building and it makes me a bit scared to walk out by myself at nighttime.

The main campus is fine, however. I am not sure if public health students will get to spend a significant time at the main campus -- I guess it depends on your concentration. Overall, I am not impressed with the campus (albeit I am pretty spoiled with my current campus).

The faculty members at Yale were wonderful and nice. The students really enjoy it there. It somewhat feels like a continuation of undergraduate college as students participate in school organizations and attend spring formals, etc. However, I ultimately decided not to go. The neighborhood around the medical school and public health area somewhat turned me off.

Just to echo what intlhealth2010 said, the public health building is located in a less than stellar area. I took the MetroNorth to New Haven and walked to the campus. It is definitely not a pedestrian friendly route from the railway to the school and I had to walk through a pretty desolate area. I asked a current student about it and she seemed really surprised that I didn't take the shuttle. The neighborhood doesn't seem friendly around the public health building and it makes me a bit scared to walk out by myself at nighttime.

The main campus is fine, however. I am not sure if public health students will get to spend a significant time at the main campus -- I guess it depends on your concentration. Overall, I am not impressed with the campus (albeit I am pretty spoiled with my current campus).

The faculty members at Yale were wonderful and nice. The students really enjoy it there. It somewhat feels like a continuation of undergraduate college as students participate in school organizations and attend spring formals, etc. However, I ultimately decided not to go. The neighborhood around the medical school and public health area somewhat turned me off.

Oh I see. Mmmmm this makes me wish I did visit the school before committing. But oh well, the deposit has already been sent lol. For me location is not such a huge factor. I went to school "not such a desirable area" to say the least. While many students were scared to walk a few blocks past our main campus, I was a little more adventurous and learned to appreciate the area. Anyways, even if I lived in the most secure place on earth I don't think I would walk at night, my personal safety measure. What makes me nervous about what you said though is that I think I am going to have to be careful when choosing an apartment. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't choose an apartment near the main campus instead of next to the medical campus.
Thanks again for all your help! This is a a great help for all of those who were not able to make the open house.

Oh I see. Mmmmm this makes me wish I did visit the school before committing. But oh well, the deposit has already been sent lol. For me location is not such a huge factor. I went to school "not such a desirable area" to say the least. While many students were scared to walk a few blocks past our main campus, I was a little more adventurous and learned to appreciate the area. Anyways, even if I lived in the most secure place on earth I don't think I would walk at night, my personal safety measure. What makes me nervous about what you said though is that I think I am going to have to be careful when choosing an apartment. Makes me wonder if I shouldn't choose an apartment near the main campus instead of next to the medical campus.
Thanks again for all your help! This is a a great help for all of those who were not able to make the open house.

I've been here about two years now, and one thing I can say: New Haven grows on you slowly. At first, I thought this place was an awful copy of Boston, but I've come to appreciate what it offers. The on-campus activities, in particular, are wonderful (theater, orchestra, intramural sports).

Members don't see this ad :)

I got that feeling too. I think Yale's 2 year MPH is a great choice for anyone going straight through from undergrad. If I was a year younger I probably would have chosen Yale hands down.

I got that feeling too. I think Yale's 2 year MPH is a great choice for anyone going straight through from undergrad. If I was a year younger I probably would have chosen Yale hands down.

The average age is 26 (according to the MPH class profile), so I always assumed quite a few people there did not come straight from undergrad.

Do people not participate in clubs or have social events at other schools? I'm slightly confused by that comment. These things are not at all only attended or populated by those right out of undergrad.

The clubs I have joined here at Yale have offered some of the best experiences I have had as a student thus far.

Hi,
I went as well and I left feeling a bit blah about them, much to my disappointment. I had already encountered the extremely nice and responsive staff and that remained evident at the program. I also really like people who may be in my potential cohort and who are students now.

I felt like there wasn't a lot of substance to the actual visit day program. I read how Emory had a poster display and people were able to see labs and office campus housing. I think the coffee hour could have been cut down to add substance. Also, I was really put off about how someone's question about dealing with the debt was kind of shot down by the moderator of the student panel. That is an extremely relevant question. However, my biggest disappointment were the faculty in my area. While they seemed open and friendly with some students, I had a 5 minute conversation with one member where she said something condscending to me and turned her back and started talking to another student. Granted, I wasn't assertive about schmoozing at the coffee hour, but I tried to make an effort to join a few groups at lunch, it was awkward. It seemed like after we introduced ourselves, the faculty focused on people they were interested in After the introductions, the faculty and I was not one of them. However, it wasn't just me.

Finally, I agree that they kept hard selling the ability to take courses through out the university which is nice but in reality, you have that option at the other schools I was accepted and their programs are a lot bigger so actually have a better choice of electives so you don't actually need to do that at other schools.

Pros:
  • Super nice administrative staff
  • An amazing potential cohort
  • Interesting and friendly current students
  • Ability to take classes throughout the university (although as someone else said, I am not sure if that is really that big of a deal as I'm certainly not interested in classes in the law school)
  • Funded internship opportunities
  • Small program (pros and cons with this but you definetely are not a number)
Cons:
  • A lot of "homegrown" faculty. I think a diversity of people from various institutions adds to a program.
  • Very academic based and some of the faculty didn't seem to be in touched with the actual populations that I hope to serve except from a theortical level.
  • Limited research topics with faculty because it is a small program.
  • The actual facility is kind of dumpy and seems like an afterthought type of building.
  • Extremely young group of current students. However, this year's class is expected to be older.
  • The student body didn't seem very diverse.
These are my personal opinions based on what I am looking for and I am happy for anyone to challenge them. I guess my experience with that faculty member really turned me off. It was the first person I encountered at Yale that really seemed to be completely Ivy tower snobby. I really wanted to love Yale though.

Hi,
I felt like there wasn't a lot of substance to the actual visit day program. I read how Emory had a poster display and people were able to see labs and office campus housing. I think the coffee hour could have been cut down to add substance. Also, I was really put off about how someone's question about dealing with the debt was kind of shot down by the moderator of the student panel. That is an extremely relevant question. However, my biggest disappointment were the faculty in my area. While they seemed open and friendly with some students, I had a 5 minute conversation with one member where she said something condscending to me and turned her back and started talking to another student. Granted, I wasn't assertive about schmoozing at the coffee hour, but I tried to make an effort to join a few groups at lunch, it was awkward. It seemed like after we introduced ourselves, the faculty focused on people they were interested in After the introductions, the faculty and I was not one of them. However, it wasn't just me.

Hi, I just wanted to say I agree with your point about debt. As tuition at Yale is very high and rent in New Haven is nothing to sneeze at either, I was extremely disappointed by the moderator trying to dismiss the question. Figuring out how to repay any loans (not to mention getting other students' perspectives as to how they are dealing with this) is EXTREMELY important, especially in a field like public health where we can't realistic expect to make 6 figures to help make all that debt go away upon graduation.

Do people not participate in clubs or have social events at other schools? I'm slightly confused by that comment. These things are not at all only attended or populated by those right out of undergrad.

The clubs I have joined here at Yale have offered some of the best experiences I have had as a student thus far.

I know other schools do have social events and formals and stuff-- I'm pretty sure Hopkins has that same semi-formal dance. However I think it came across a bit undergrad-like because we had to watch an entire slide-show of student bonding activities. I would have liked to see actual details about what students did on their trips to Haiti, China, Romania, India etc.

The faculty also kept stressing how the student orgs are a great way to connect with students who share similar interests, which I agree with...but I was told the same thing at my undergrad orientation.

Someone on the student panel also mentioned she was taking a class at Yale College that she loved-- this was literally very undergrad-like, hehe

That definitely would have colored my experience too, that sounds terrible 2013MPH2013. I totally know what you mean too, I forgot to mention this in my review of the day, but when I first got to the coffee hour the very first people I met... well I will just say were not my favorite ever, and it freaked me out. Actually the whole morning I felt terrible that this was the option I had really leaned toward and it attracted people that I just couldn't see myself getting along with. Later in the day, I finally met some prospective students that were great and a huge weight lifted and I ended up feeling pretty postive. All day though my feelings towards the school were teetering. If I had had a bad experience with a professor, I would have been super bummed. I'm sorry that happened to you.

I also thought that the way the proctor dealt with the financial question was pretty bizarre, like it was off limits or something.

Also, I was really put off about how someone's question about dealing with the debt was kind of shot down by the moderator of the student panel. That is an extremely relevant question.

I actually asked this question, and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who was offended and confused by the reaction of the student moderator. After speaking with one of the faculty members about the fact that the other school I am debating between offers research assistantships that pay nearly all of your tuition and how drastically that compares to the steep tuition of Yale, he told me that this is one of the unfortunate main reasons many good candidates choose other universities over Yale. The fact that a very real problem like this was dismissed by the moderator, who instead focused on fuzzy topics like "What were your favorite classes at Yale?", was very disconcerting and mildly insulting.

Despite this, I left with a fuzzy high when I left the campus, thinking of the amazing history of the school, the gorgeous campus, and the personalized attention that the MPH program promised. However, I'm not sure these warrant the $60 + that Yale will demand.

The professors, too, were fabulous, and incredibly engaging. One professor in particular that I was hoping to speak to even started advising me on certain courses I could take and when based on what I want to do, and this was just on our lunch break.

It sounded like all the students are really self motivated and have created some incredible extracurriculars. One of the main points that they were trying to drive home is that if you want to do something, be it an internship abroad, start a new student organization, start a research project (even if a professor at SPH isn't doing that research), you can do it at Yale, and you will have a lot of support.

Also, because SPH is so small they make it a point to have events with other schools, and with the opportunity to take classes at the other schools there are also many opportunities to get out of the sph bubble (which many of the students described as a family) and meet other grad students. And like it was said above you can take classes at any other school, and that is literally at any other school, as long as you can make a case for why it is relevant. A student I met, in the Epi. of Microbial Disease division, took a film class (the professor was an oscar winner!) and his thesis is going to be a film.

The ladies at career services are great, and apparently have a mandatory meeting with everyone at the beginning of the year so they can get to know each student, and then they often send emails with events, internships and job postings that relate to each person's interests. During their presentations they were recalling the specific details of students' interests who had already graduated.

Yale's campus is incredibly beautiful, the architecture was amazing. I had to restrain myself from remarking out loud when we visited some of the libraries.

Sorry that was long. Those were my impressions, and just to be realistic there are things I don't like and mainly that would be living in New Haven. Some of the students mentioned that they came in expecting to hate it (particularly people coming from cities) and they really don't, so I imagine that will happen to me, but as of right now, not pumped about it. But Yale brings amazing events, and a lot of extracurricular activities allow students to get involved in making a difference in the New Haven community, so that can be something really positive. Alright that's enough from me.

I actually found the admitted students day to be extraordinarily helpful and agree with the impressions that envepi had. I have a lot of thoughts floating around regarding my impressions and also want to respond to some things that others have said. I knew that I wanted to get a feel for the public health campus, explore the main campus, etc and figured that it would be pretty hard to do so in just one day. Realistically speaking, when you have an admitted students day, it is pretty difficult to jam in everything that a potential student could possibly want to see since different individuals have different priorities regarding what they want the students/administrators to cover and what the prospective student feels like they can do on their own. For example, regarding the financial aid comments: In my opinion, it is often best to discuss these sorts of things on a case by case basis. Different individuals are coming from different situations and I think that when it comes to issues like money, it is often best to discuss these things with individuals rather than in a very public forum. Students on a panel shouldn't feel obligated to share the details of their specific monetary situation in front of so many random people in my opinion. However, several of the individuals on the panel did address the issue to some extent, saying that they have on campus jobs. One said he has been able to make a significant amount of money in the past semester by taking part in some of the research studies at the different graduate schools. A number of students are research assistants or have separate jobs. I just think that when things involve money, it is often best to have private discussions about it since things are on a case by case basis and each situation is unique.

Perhaps, it was the particular division I am in, but I was rather impressed by the current students and the faculty members throughout the day. The faculty asked us to introduce ourselves, our specific area of interest if we had one already, and where we hailed from. They then introduced themselves (there were perhaps 7 or 8 faculty members there) and their research interests/classes that they taught. The bulk of the time was spent answering our individual questions. These questions ranged from clarifications about the divisional requirements to each of entering the workforce, to the success of students who wanted to enter PhD programs, MD programs, and JD programs, and to the research opportunities available for students on campus (my division's faculty leaders gave us a number of specifics on this). Each faculty member was clearly an expert in their field. I disagree with the statement that it is mostly homegrown individuals on faculty. It seemed to me that a number of faculty members were from diverse institutions.

What impressed me throughout the day was that all of the faculty members and administrators talked very specifically about a number of students who they knew by name and were able to talk about their research and their careers. It was clear that they weren't just drawing from 8 people whose bios they had been given beforehand. They were talking about individuals who had been their students, RA's, community members, and colleagues in a certain sense. When people in our division (and in the group as a whole) asked detailed questions about the success of x,y,or z, members of the Yale community consistently demonstrated that they knew and cared about the work of their community members. This consistent ability to do so would be pretty impossible to feign.

Moreover, a number of faculty members throughout the day came up to other students and me. They introduced themselves to us, asked about our interests, told us about their lives, and had genuine conversations with us. I went to a small, very competitive liberal arts school that prizes itself and is recognized in a number of the rankings for having really amazing student-faculty interaction/relationships, but the level of collegial interaction and the level of interest that the faculty takes in the students blew me out of the water.

I want to respectfully disagree with some of the prior posters regarding the ability to take classes across campuses. The field of public health can be incredibly broad and I think that having the opportunity to take public health related classes in the other graduate schools and even higher-level Yale college classes only affords us the opportunity to experience how interdisciplinary our field is. Law, medicine, management, business, economics, etc all intersect with public health and will continue to do so as we move forward. In order to find effective and efficient solutions to the bigger problems we face and will face will require us to work with individuals in other fields. Taking advantage of classes that are interdisciplinary will only make us more effective as we continue in our academic and professional careers.

I agree that New Haven is not the best area. I live in a small beach town where it is fairly normal practice for people to be out walking their dogs at 9 or 10 at night. Something I won't be doing in New Haven. Something frankly that I wouldn't do in most other places in the world. From my discussions with friends who have lived in New Haven as well as the students on Friday, living in New Haven is similar in many ways to living in a big city. One should keep one's wits about them, make smart choices, and avoid certain areas. At nighttime going places with others for the most part makes sense. This was a major drawback for me and something that I certainly will be aware of and cognizant of.

Some other notes:
I was really impressed with the sense of camaraderie and community among the students and faculty members. I personally think that that is a good thing. It allows for the learning to continue outside the classroom. The ability to know other students in other divisions provides students with the ability to learn more about areas of public health outside their own expertise.

Moreover, the resources Yale has for its students are tremendous. Summer funding opportunities abound. And, I like the fact that if they don't have something (a program, a club, etc), you can start it and have all of the resources and support of YSPH at your back.

The students I spoke with were all doing amazing things. A number take more than the minimum 5 classes a semester, do research, are involved with volunteer clubs and groups or other societies. They seem to lead fairly balanced lives. That student who is in EMD whose thesis is a film is deferring his entrance to medical school (one of his choices is Harvard's Med School) while he screens his film for a year after he graduates. He is studying co-terminal infections of TB/HIV in migrant coal miners in South Africa and lived with them for two months. He wants to show their story through their words. And that is just one example of the research individuals are doing there.

Those are some initial thoughts. I'll probably have more as the thread goes on. I was far more impressed than I thought I would be and than I wanted to be by Yale. I did not encounter the Ivy snobbishness that one often hears about. I have actively resisted going to big name schools in the past just because they are big name. My preference is personal attention and an educational style that meshes with my own. For my undergraduate career, I declined the big name for exactly that reason. Whether Yale is the school for you depends on what you are looking for in an MPH. I went to the admitted students day with several major questions/things I needed answered. For me, YSPH seems to be the right place for me and will be a really good place for me to be before applying to PhD programs. For me, a major factor in my decision was that I don't want to be a number in a lecture hall. I want to be able to discuss and analyze and assess topics with my classmates. For that reason, I will be declining admission to other larger programs. Though I have some reservations about moving to New Haven (and also about East Coast winters), I know that I am excited to start in the fall.

Feel free to PM me if you wish with any questions. I apologize for writing so much!

visit note-

My response also mirrors that of other posters. I thought the visit day was put together last minute: ie: three copies of hot off the press surveys of where to live, circulating around a room that was 100+. Also the facilities at Yale University are terrible for the amount of money they charge. With a few years of tuition money, they could make the ambiance of the YSPH building much more appealing, like it or not, bells and whistles do matter to incoming students.

The faculty were very nice for the short time that they were present. The food was delicious, and of coarse the campus tower was very nice.

Ultimately I came away with the conclusion, that if you were looking for a nice building to take classes in, this is not your school. I think the major selling point comes down to the resources that the university provides in your field of interest, if indeed it is represented among faculty and ancillary faculty outside of YSPH. Really thats the selling point coupled with small intimate class size.

It really is a shame, because with a bit of investment, and planning on visit day, they could make a very nice ambiance, which would bring in more students whom turn else where for their education because of a lack there of the aforementioned statement above.

Also, Im sorry, but Deem get the bug out of your britches. It's okay for someone to ask a question, or make statement that you do not agree with...woosabi, wooosabi my friend

I actually asked this question, and I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who was offended and confused by the reaction of the student moderator. After speaking with one of the faculty members about the fact that the other school I am debating between offers research assistantships that pay nearly all of your tuition and how drastically that compares to the steep tuition of Yale, he told me that this is one of the unfortunate main reasons many good candidates choose other universities over Yale. The fact that a very real problem like this was dismissed by the moderator, who instead focused on fuzzy topics like "What were your favorite classes at Yale?", was very disconcerting and mildly insulting.

Despite this, I left with a fuzzy high when I left the campus, thinking of the amazing history of the school, the gorgeous campus, and the personalized attention that the MPH program promised. However, I'm not sure these warrant the $60 + that Yale will demand.

to echo what others have said, I thought your question was obviously extremely relevant. All of us who are committed to or considering Yale are probably terrified about the debt that comes along with it, and I personally would have liked to hear more about how others deal with it.

I want to touch on some things others have mentioned earlier. Someone said it had a very "undergrad-y" feel, which is good and bad I think. It's good because I associate that with a tight group of people who like to hang out and do stuff together, but I also would have liked to have seen some slightly older students who were very focused on their upcoming careers. This isn't to say they don't exist, I just didn't really get to talk to any of them while I was there. One girl in the program I was talking to at the happy hour was trying to get me to come to this pot-luck dinner thing that night at somebody's house. According to her they do this every week, which certainly isn't bad but it felt kinda weird to me, at least the way she described it.

A lot of people have talked about the campus. Yes, the PH building is nothing special. It reminds me of all the buildings at my undergrad that were built in the '70's. It sort of has that Soviet Union-cement-utilitarian look to it, if that makes sense. The med school campus reminds me a lot of the med school at my undergrad institution, sort of an industrial feel to all the buildings.

So I'm probably in a different position from a lot of you, in that Yale is far and away the best of the three schools that I applied to and got in to, which makes my decision to go there a lot easier. If I had gotten in to Hopkins or something, it would certainly be a much tougher choice. One girl in my program that I was around for a good bit of the day was really struggling between Yale and Columbia, and I can totally understand how that would be a tough choice. But Yale vs. Illinois-Chicago is a bit easier decision

I think this comes down to whether you as a student will greatly benefit from having a small tight-knit class / professors who actively seek to know you / the ability to take inter-disciplinary classes.

My concern with Yale was that I would be taking classes outside of YSPH to make up for the lack of classes offered by my own program. The faculty and students kept saying this was a great option to really tailor my own course of study but I think the school of public health should provide a standalone course offering. IMO Interdisciplinary study is great and should be an available option, but it should be in addition to a solid course offering, not a supplement.

Also, At HSPH you are also free to take classes throughout Harvard University as well as MIT's Sloan Business School and Tuft's Fletcher School. At Johns Hopkins I believe you are allowed to take classes at the Nitze School of Advanced International Studies . At UNC You can take classes at Duke University. So this isn't some unique prospect that Yale alone offers (as I previously thought)

Last edited:
Wow. I'm glad people have such strong opinions. I'll add in my two cents.

I found the professors to be absolutely amazing and down to earth. "Fabulous" even. And I found my other 2013ers to be nice as well. The students on the panel...I dunno. I understand that the point was to sway us to come but I wished that they would be a little more candid. They way they freaked out when someone asked about the cost was a bit disconcerting.

I'm kinda biased. I went to a super small liberal arts college where most people were very down to earth and humble and nice. I kind of have a fear that going to Yale I'd meet a lot of people insisting upon their affiliation with the Ivy League. I found the "C'mon it's Yale!" pitch to be a bit weird too. I mean...it is Yale. The name is big and I think that it would help (and might even explain the 100% job rate by December...who knows) but I don't know if I can BE around people who act like that. I didn't stay for the happy hour though, so maybe people are more down to earth. I could have just been feeling out of place...that happens to me sometimes.

In terms of the campus no its not the prettiest and the buildings were a bit run down. But That seems like something you could get used to. Seriously the profs won it for me. And the class sizes, once again because of my small liberal arts background. I believe I'll excel in a situation like that.

I think this comes down to whether you as a student will greatly benefit from having a small tight-knit class / professors who actively seek to know you / the ability to take inter-disciplinary classes.

My concern with Yale was that I would be taking classes outside of YSPH to make up for the lack of classes offered by my own program. The faculty and students kept saying this was a great option to really tailor my own course of study but I think the school of public health should provide a standalone course offering. IMO Interdisciplinary study is great and should be an available option, but it should be in addition to a solid course offering, not a supplement.

Also, At HSPH you are also free to take classes throughout Harvard University as well as MIT's Sloan Business School and Tuft's Fletcher School. At Johns Hopkins I believe you are allowed to take classes at the Nitze School of Advanced International Studies . At UNC You can take classes at Duke University. So this isn't some unique prospect that Yale alone offers (as I previously thought)

I can't speak for other people, but I've found the course offerings within SPH to be just fine. Granted, I don't take anything outside of the epidemiology or biostatistics courses because my focus is those two areas and my needs as a PhD student are slightly different, but I think most people will realize that it's not really necessary to explore outside the school if you know what you want to do.

Now, with that said, if you're more interested in things like program intervention, evaluation, or implementation, that's something we don't offer nor do we claim to offer it (we don't have a community health, health education, or health communication department, for instance).

The biggest thing that people need to know is that Yale's small. We can only offer so much. I've found that the unhappy students are the ones who were looking for something that the school just doesn't have (eg. program evaluation or disaster management).

For example, regarding the financial aid comments: In my opinion, it is often best to discuss these sorts of things on a case by case basis. Different individuals are coming from different situations and I think that when it comes to issues like money, it is often best to discuss these things with individuals rather than in a very public forum. Students on a panel shouldn't feel obligated to share the details of their specific monetary situation in front of so many random people in my opinion. However, several of the individuals on the panel did address the issue to some extent, saying that they have on campus jobs. One said he has been able to make a significant amount of money in the past semester by taking part in some of the research studies at the different graduate schools. A number of students are research assistants or have separate jobs. I just think that when things involve money, it is often best to have private discussions about it since things are on a case by case basis and each situation is unique.

People can disagree with me and call me biased as much as you want...after all, I did decide to go here and really like it...and I'll be the first to admit that no 1 school is right for everyone. To Wenkebach, I was simply defending an allegation I saw as a bit unfair.

That being said, I wanted to draw attention to the above quote as I think it really hits the nail on the head. Please feel free to disagree, I just think it was particularly relevant to the discussion going on in this thread and what the motivations of my fellow students were.

Hey all, sorry i'm a little late in the game here, but I lived on SDN last year when applying, so i'm happy to help anyone with questions. I visited many PH schools, including going to the admitted student days at JH, Emory, BU..etc etc. In the end, I chose Yale and never regretted it. I was looking for a small program though, so if that isn't you - well, there ya go. I have found the program to be great - I have taken some really interesting classes even as a first year, and, to illustrate summer projects, my roommates and i are doing the following (fully funded by Yale!!) this summer: self-guided research projects in South Africa, working for the WHO in the Philippines, and interning in Haiti. Yes, our building is crap and new haven is not a haven, but being at Yale allows us access not only to any course we want to take, but also to the amazing speakers who come here.

As for the potluck thing, yes, we have a weekly potluck, and we are known to go to GPSCY (look it up!) many a night. But we do many more things than that - volunteering at the local free clinic, working with refugee children, working on all kinds of research, coordinating all kinds of events, etc. Overall, this program is highly recommended by yours truly, and if you have any questions, let me know!

If I had to guess, Phealth99...hmmm...anything to do with "if you go here,you get a free JH t-shirt....this slide illustrates that you will not be naked when and if you attend Yale...." I thought you did an excellent job running the panel...

I decided on attending Yale, and was admitted to some programs that are ranked subjectively higher, at, or near the top. But I did not decide to attend Yale based on their ammenities, because frankly, there are many public middle/high school facilities that addorn better classrooms. I feel that if and when Yale decides to join the modern era of other PH schools in regards to its facilities...there will be many less "buts" and many less potential applicants with hesitations about the program. Really, after many objective fact finding hours...this is the only major deficit I see in the program, with a caveat being that your research interests are represented.

If I had to guess, Phealth99...hmmm...anything to do with "if you go here,you get a free JH t-shirt....this slide illustrates that you will not be naked when and if you attend Yale...." I thought you did an excellent job running the panel...

Haha; different person. BUT, I felt extremely uncomfortable (in a funny, the-student-running-the-panel-is-fantastic sort of way) when she said that.:laugh:

I decided on attending Yale, and was admitted to some programs that are ranked subjectively higher, at, or near the top. But I did not decide to attend Yale based on their ammenities, because frankly, there are many public middle/high school facilities that addorn better classrooms. I feel that if and when Yale decides to join the modern era of other PH schools in regards to its facilities...there will be many less "buts" and many less potential applicants with hesitations about the program. Really, after many objective fact finding hours...this is the only major deficit I see in the program, with a caveat being that your research interests are represented.

Didn't attend school in the northeast, by chance? Yale's facilities are pretty nice. I'm sure most folks who went to high school or college in the northeast could back me up on this. The classrooms definitely seem fine by me (wireless in the entire building and full AV in built into every room). Something I definitely didn't have in my undergrad. Hell, my undergrad didn't have A/C for the end of summer/beginning of fall semester. Also, forced air heating instead of radiators is a god send.

Hello,
Just as a disclaimer, most of my impressions were made at the breakout hour + lunch with our individual departments. There were about 7 faulty and 25 students, at most. Any comments I made about faculty/research are solely based on my particular program AND I only spoke to one faculty member (ableit, not a good conversation but I am contacting other faculty members and I hope to establish a better rapport).

The building comment is just objective observation and the financial aid question...perhaps YSPH can take a more proactive approach to this next year and address it in one of the main sessions.

I thought they overemphasized the taking classes through the university. There are other selling points of YSPH so why not focus on those? I think interdisciplinary work is imperative but the significant focus (in the general session and my breakout session) seemed odd--mostly because I assumed this was true of any program because it is true for the programs I applied to.

Anyway, I don't think you can beat Yale for personal attention and student service. For me, the advantages of a small program outweigh the disadvantages.

One question for Stories...you said "Now, with that said, if you're more interested in things like program intervention, evaluation, or implementation, that's something we don't offer nor do we claim to offer it (we don't have a community health, health education, or health communication department, for instance)."...

I am interested in all of the above; however, not for a concentration per se. Are you saying there are not classes in any of these areas or just that there aren't departments?

It is great to hear everyone's thoughts and impressions!

One question for Stories...you said "Now, with that said, if you're more interested in things like program intervention, evaluation, or implementation, that's something we don't offer nor do we claim to offer it (we don't have a community health, health education, or health communication department, for instance)."...

I am interested in all of the above; however, not for a concentration per se. Are you saying there are not classes in any of these areas or just that there aren't departments?
!

It's not a full department because it's so small. There's two classes (I think) that are targeted towards those topics, but it's not in anyway the focus of the concentration. All the faculty have primary appointments as epi faculty--so their expertise is in social and behavioral epidemiology. Most folks would probably agree, the focus is on research methods, and less on direct implementation of other traditional public health programs.

This is a guess, but I'd wager that just about every one of the big schools in PH are similar in that they hire faculty not from health departments but from research labs and groups, so they're going to know research methods inside and out, but perhaps not the actual implementations of PH programs as much.

Hello,
Just as a disclaimer, most of my impressions were made at the breakout hour + lunch with our individual departments. There were about 7 faulty and 25 students, at most. Any comments I made about faculty/research are solely based on my particular program AND I only spoke to one faculty member (ableit, not a good conversation but I am contacting other faculty members and I hope to establish a better rapport).

The building comment is just objective observation and the financial aid question...perhaps YSPH can take a more proactive approach to this next year and address it in one of the main sessions.

I thought they overemphasized the taking classes through the university. There are other selling points of YSPH so why not focus on those? I think interdisciplinary work is imperative but the significant focus (in the general session and my breakout session) seemed odd--mostly because I assumed this was true of any program because it is true for the programs I applied to.

Anyway, I don't think you can beat Yale for personal attention and student service. For me, the advantages of a small program outweigh the disadvantages.

I can offer some perspective here. While I wouldn't necessarily call those area strengths of YSPH there are opportunities to do them AND I know from conversations from the dean that he is actively pursuing ideas to try and make this a bigger part of the program (i'm actively involved in one of them). Take that as you will, who knows how fast that process will move. There is an office of community health (not a division as stories said) and I am currently involved in the community health planning practiccum that is offered and its pretty good. There are also classes like a program evaluation and brand new policy practiccum that offer experiential learning but overall I know some of my fellow students would like to see a bit more of this and as I said, there is chatter of efforts to do this.

These things are certainly not absent at YSPH, just probably not one of its strongest points compared to some other programs.

Hello,

Oh, wow; I assumed they had! Last year it was a full 30 minute or so session. If anyone can tell me/Deem/PHealth99 what they did say, maybe we can fill in some of the blanks.

Hello,

I am not "Stories" lol but I am a prospective student who did a lot of research on Yale and its curriculum. I understand that there is no "community health, health education etc but several courses touch on the subjects. I suggest taking a look at the course descriptions: http://www.yale.edu/printer/bulletin/htmlfiles/publichealth/course-descriptions.html
Depending on your concentration, you may also take classes where they suggest strategies for implementation of projects, health communication etc. Remember also you can choose your electives according to your interests.
Honestly my advice to those who are still undecided is to call the school and have them address the issues you are concerned about. Ask them questions or ask to be put in contact with people who can help you. They have been EXTREMELY patient, nice and helpful to me. At some point, I called every day to ask a question regarding curriculum, my career plans, and other random questions. And they (admissions) have spent at least 15-20min on the phone each time, guiding me through the curriculum and different requirements. Also, currents students from your department are a great resources.
I did not attend the Open House, but I am sure faculty is awesome. I had a nice conversation via email with a professor whose research I found interesting. @2013MPH2013, I am sure the professor you were speaking to did not even realize she/he was being "rude". I think professors are in their own world sometimes. But try reaching out to other professors within your department.

You certainly are correct Stories, I did not, and have not attended Uni in the Northeast, but actually in good ol' Minnesota. But I mean, really? should AC and forced air heat really be a inclusion criteria for how nice the buildings are? Comparatively speaking, looking at my undergrad, which was a high price tag, but no where near Yale, and other universities with similar price tags, all have pretty nice buildings. Also, if the building were old, rustic, and had a feel/smell like you were sitting in the same seat as someone attending YSPH in 1930, that would be a completely separate, and to me, nice appeal. But this is a semi-modern building, and the argument is that it has Wifi and central air? Starbucks has all of the above, and it only costs 2.50 for an absurdly small drink of goodness....Now I realize that this comparison is ridiculous, but you get my point..To me, and again I am no expert, this is inexcusable for a school which charges as much as Yale charges.

One could argue that the money goes solely to research funds/grants, which would be a gosh darn good arguement, but we both know this is not true, by golley, every person on the student panel was funded by a reputable "well of money."

I am a firm believer that in order to be the best, one must look at ones faults recognize and fix. I would rather the panel of teachers/workers/students said look, are buildings are s@#$, but we know this, you know this, and we are going to fix this.

Over emphasizing the multitude of wonderful things that are going on at Yale, I think I know this, and surely all of the current students and faculty know this, is just spinning tires. Be direct with me, emphasize your faults. And say I dare you not to choose us. But I guess I am one for open and direct communication.

With all of the above said, it sounds like I want to burn the building down. Oh contraire. I am not one for "frills," I could care less about where I learn the material, as long as I learn it well. Getting to know my classmates, being emersed in my research interests, volunteering at a free clinic, and getting involved in the countless number of activities are where my priorities lie.

But for many many others, I would say that it would be a safe bet that the shape of the building would turn one off in comparison to other places they are applying. Again, one would guess....

Now with that said, I am very excited about the opportunities that lie ahead for me. I can not wait!

Also, I forgot to mention the best part of visit day, and am surprised that no one has commented on this. The Librarian. That man is awesome. Give me two more hours on him and I could have handed you my deposit before I left said building.

If he rides in on a unicycle next year, I will eat my hat...as long as A1 steak sauce is provided

toot toot to the Librarian

My apologies if an explanation has already been given elsewhere...

In regard to the notorious financial aid question during the student panel, it should be known that we (current students) were given explicit instructions not to make generalizations about financial aid because it varies SO WIDELY with every student. Therefore, the panel moderator was only doing her job when she guided students with financial aid questions to the director of financial aid. Sounds incredibly appropriate to me.

Secondly, @ all the comments about Yale facilities. I am baffled at some of these comments that make it seem like we take classes in a shack with no electricity and use outhouses. If you need a sparkly new building with floors you can see yourself in, YSPH is not the school for you. It is incredible that anyone would make a school decision based on aesthetics. To each their own.

Everyone has very interesting opinions!

I always forget that talking about money can be a sensitive topic, so maybe it makes a little bit more sense why the question was regarded in that way. I bet the question could be answered by some students over email or maybe with the Financial Aid Woman.

I'm glad to see not everyone thought the facilities were bad. I thought they were pretty nice actually, maybe I am weird though. The outside of it looks pretty ridiculous, but the inside looked clean and relatively new, with all the appropriate technologies and confusing lighting systems that come along with that, but also maybe I just didn't notice because that doesn't matter to me the way it might matter to someone else. The place where we had the happy hour was also very strange and definitely not as nice as the LEPH building, but I don't know it wasn't in disrepair or dirty or anything.

Bd2010, me too!! I was looking to meet people like you at the visit day! I loved my small liberal arts undergrad institution (to the point where I have attachment issues even two years out haha), where the people were so wonderful and down to earth, open-minded and genuine, and where I felt I fit in perfectly. For the first half of the day, I really felt like I didn't fit in and that really bothered me. I ended up meeting some really great people at the happy hour though that really made a difference and made me feel like there were people there like me. I also hung out with a big group of current students that night and for the most part they made me feel the same way. So I hope that helps!

Again, I was only making an observation, and one that certainly is not important to me, but an observation that has been reflected by many of the visitors.
Buying a car, purchasing a house, hell buying and wearing clothes...aesthetics play a role in this. If you were to pull ten people, probably a pretty poor power, but nonetheless, I would bet you a salami and cheese sandwich, that 10/10 people would prefer a nicer more up to date building, then one that is not.

Whether this be a fraudian defense mechanism or not, be objective. Please tell me that you would pick something, that costs an arm and a leg, both literally and figuratively ( if i dont pay moy loands on time), that is less aesthetically pleasing.

I am over blowing this, and rest assure, teach me in a shack, I don't mind, but put an asterisk next to this sturdy shanty. And let that asterisk tell me that the money is going to much better use, fuinding public health programs, local and abroad, or that the money is going towards more chair endowements to bring in distinguished faculty. But don't try and hide the big pink elephant in the room. This opinion, althoughly not so bluntly stated, or grossly overestimated by others, is shared both of people attending this year, and of years past.

time to get off my soap box, sorry for the rant

You certainly are correct Stories, I did not, and have not attended Uni in the Northeast, but actually in good ol' Minnesota. But I mean, really? should AC and forced air heat really be a inclusion criteria for how nice the buildings are? Comparatively speaking, looking at my undergrad, which was a high price tag, but no where near Yale, and other universities with similar price tags, all have pretty nice buildings. Also, if the building were old, rustic, and had a feel/smell like you were sitting in the same seat as someone attending YSPH in 1930, that would be a completely separate, and to me, nice appeal. But this is a semi-modern building, and the argument is that it has Wifi and central air? Starbucks has all of the above, and it only costs 2.50 for an absurdly small drink of goodness....Now I realize that this comparison is ridiculous, but you get my point..To me, and again I am no expert, this is inexcusable for a school which charges as much as Yale charges.

This is not just Yale, but of universities in general; tuition dollars don't go towards facility improvement or infrastructure improvement--tuition is used more for day to day operations (like maintainence, for instance). Some staff (read: *not* faculty) are also funded through tuition dollars. You generally won't see a correlation with tuition cost and building amenities. Those decisions come from the university at large are funded through some sort of endowment money.

As for amenities, all those things I've listed are luxury items in the northeast for the most part. Don't expect your apartment to have built-in A/C (window units are the norm), forced air or gas heating (oil heat is the norm), or even well insulating walls. The northeast is a different beast than the west. Being from Colorado, when I first came out here, I was shocked (I've been on the east coast since 2002). It definitely took a while to adjust, but just know that certain things just aren't as nice due to age. Few buildings here were built after 1950, and as a result, it reflects a lot of that (for instance, I'd be willing to bet every apartment has some lead in the paint and some asbestos stuck in the walls--standard apartment leases in MA and CT come with such disclaimers because, again, it's the norm).

I'm not singling out Yale here--every university in this region suffers from "oldness". Boston was this way, New York was this way, Connecticut is no different.

I have now Hijacked this thread, but I wanted to throw a disclaimer out there for those of you that have not visited.....

The 60 college street YSPH home is not a building in disarray, on the contrary, it is like any ol' standard office building. Maybe this is where the discrepancy in my mind originated. I was expecting grandiose buildings seen on the main undergrad campus filled with a rich history. But it just looks like a cookie cutter building that would house hundreds of cubicles and working professionals....

The building or what it looked it played absolutely no roll in my decision to attend. Because like others, it is not a high priority of mine. I was just trying to be objective in comparing YSPH facilities to some of the newer schools of public health relatively speaking...

Thanks for the insight stories....it has been very helpful, both today, and in the past.....I am one with an active history of playing devils advocate. And when critiquing a potential decision, I do pay attention to minute details, no matter how irrelevant they are...call it an unhealthy fixation...

Thanks to everyone for sharing their open house impressions.

It sounds like current students are very proud of their program which is good. Although, I find the building pride kind of funny (no offense). Honestly, I thought the building seemed a bit dreary for the amount of time I would probably spend there, and a former student did tell me that the classes were mostly in a lower level of a building (hence no windows). I didn't see any classrooms though. Anyway, she was in the same dual program that I am in and our other building--a social science program--is amazing I could see myself hanging out there a lot. Are the MPH classes all in that building where the admissions office is located?

I do think these are relevant comments because you are going to be camped out at these places for two years, but I am sure no one is making that a selection criteria. I think a lot of people think of Yale and think ivy covered buildings or really cutting edge modern buildings. I was just at Tulane and I wasn't impressed with their building either with the exception that it was huge. Maybe it is just the down side of being lumped in with a medical district.

What were the computer labs and lab science areas like? Did there appear to be sufficient resources? Where do students usually hang out during the day?

I have a question to those who indicated there was an undergrad type feel. Was that because most of the students were straight from undergrad or that "extracurriculars" were emphasized or the way the classes are set up?

Thanks again!
Jaya

My apologies if an explanation has already been given elsewhere...

In regard to the notorious financial aid question during the student panel, it should be known that we (current students) were given explicit instructions not to make generalizations about financial aid because it varies SO WIDELY with every student. Therefore, the panel moderator was only doing her job when she guided students with financial aid questions to the director of financial aid. Sounds incredibly appropriate to me.

Yes that is the feel I got. I still think it's weird. I mean we're all students right? Cost is a factor for all of us. I think it would have been at least comforting to here something like "Yeah cost was a bit thing for me too but I did this this and this bc I thought the cost was worth it"

instead of "I don't think you can put a price on this education."

I dunno. It's subtle, but it defintely felt like it was a taboo subject which at least on my end was a turn off. Because you CAN put a price on education.

And honestly for me I've never had to take out loans so I was just genuinely lost about the process. I have a 10k gap between the 53k they say its going to cost in a year and the max loans+YSPH grant. I did work study for 3 years in school and honestly my grades increased significantly when I stopped working 20 hour weeks. For people fortunate enough to have outside support or merit scholarship yeah it can be kinda awkward, but I'm sure there was someone on that panel who could relate to some of the people in the audience.

Sorry, it just just me feel weird. It was very obvious that you were forbidden to speak on it because EVERYONE on the panel tensed up.

That being sad, I've been to many student panels and NO faculty/staff members were present to allow students to "keep it real" and I didn't get the impression that something was off limits. I can't describe it any better than that. Just socially i made me cringe and it made me...a little skeptical about what was being said and what wasn't being said.

BUT I still loved YSPH so please don't be mad at me :)

Last edited:
Yes that is the feel I got. I still think it's weird. I mean we're all students right? Cost is a factor for all of us. I think it would have been at least comforting to here something like "Yeah cost was a bit thing for me too but I did this this and this bc I thought the cost was worth it"

I dunno. It's subtle, but it defintely felt like it was a taboo subject which at least on my end was a turn off. Because you CAN put a price on education.

And honestly for me I've never had to take out loans so I was just genuinely lost about the process. I have a 10k gap between the 53k they say its going to cost in a year and the max loans+YSPH grant. I did work study for 3 years in school and honestly my grades increased significantly when I stopped working 20 hour weeks. For people fortunate enough to have outside support or merit scholarship yeah it can be kinda awkward, but I'm sure there was someone on that panel who could relate to some of the people in the audience.

Sorry, it just just me feel weird. It was very obvious that you were forbidden to speak on it because EVERYONE on the panel tensed up.

That being sad, I've been to many student panels and NO faculty/staff members were present to allow students to "keep it real" and I didn't get the impression that something was off limits. I can't describe it any better than that. Just socially i made me cringe and it made me...a little skeptical about what was being said and what wasn't being said.

Finances are also a value judgement, too. What is acceptable in loans to one person may not be acceptable to another. Is it worth it to you? Perhaps it isn't. But I think many people on this forum should refrain from using blanket statements like, "School X isn't worth the tuition they charge" because the situation is different for every person and can offend many folks.

I know some people will say this is an internet forum, wah wah, but this forum is a bit different than something like offtopic.com.

Thanks so much for your honest assessment about your experience at the open house. There seem to be quite a number of Yale devotees out there, which is great and probably speaks to how great the program is, but ya gotta hear the negatives to make a well rounded decision. Thanks to all who've posted about their experiences.

Thank you all for our opinions!!!
Did anyone attend the open house who has been accepted for Advanced Professional MPH??? If so, please do post your views and opinion on the program... Thank you!

I can't speak for other people, but I've found the course offerings within SPH to be just fine. Granted, I don't take anything outside of the epidemiology or biostatistics courses because my focus is those two areas and my needs as a PhD student are slightly different, but I think most people will realize that it's not really necessary to explore outside the school if you know what you want to do.

Now, with that said, if you're more interested in things like program intervention, evaluation, or implementation, that's something we don't offer nor do we claim to offer it (we don't have a community health, health education, or health communication department, for instance).

The biggest thing that people need to know is that Yale's small. We can only offer so much. I've found that the unhappy students are the ones who were looking for something that the school just doesn't have (eg. program evaluation or disaster management).

YSPH being small I guess is both a pro and con. One faculty member said to the group of students I was with that she views her students as a reflection of herself, of her work & of Yale in general so she will do anything and everything to help us become future leaders in the field. This is exactly the type of mentorship I want and Yale's small size would allow each student to have that kind of closeness with YSPH faculty. However, because each department is somewhat small I am also worried that there's less of a chance my interests will match whatever research is being done-- I'm considering the PhD route so this is very important for me.