Yale, Univ of Chicago, UT Southwestern and Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wsdarlin

matched and cruising :o)
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there have thoughts on these four programs for peds residency? I loved them all for various reasons and am now trying to decide what I really want out of a program. My future goals include a possible Heme/Onc fellowship and then a future in academics. I would especially love thoughts on Yale as I didn't get to spend much time at the program itself.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about three of those programs but I did interview at UT-SW and really liked their program...but like you, I have multiple programs that I really like.

What stood out to me there (UT-SW) were the residents. Of all the places I interviewed, I felt like I fit in with them the best. The other things I liked were their clinical curriculum - it was one of the few places that I visited where you didn't have to use electives to cover the ACGME RRC core curriculum. I also liked the didactics in place in the fact that there plenty of conferences, including Chairman's conference with just the interns, as well as the format of the AM report I saw which focused more on getting faculty involved instead of just having a bunch of residents sitting around waiting for someone to say "well the patient is in respiratory distress, maybe we should get a chest x-ray". They also had quite a few outside things in the evening like Journal Club and the resident organized Zitelli sessions for broad prep. Lastly, at least for me because I'm single and very unattached at the moment, Dallas is always going to have something to do which in some of my other locations was a bigger question (though obviously in your case, Chicago and Houston certainly won't have that problem).

I don't know if that helped.

I don't think any of your programs are going to remove any opportunities for your future career plans. It's definitely not an easy decision (I certified my ROL 11 days ago and am still pondering changes almost every day). Try looking at where there are real differences that will impact your education - for me that came down to looking at electives and whether the electives were really free for me to pick what I wanted or was I being forced into doing a month of something I wasn't particularly interested in because my elective had to come from the approved list. That's the only advice I really have to give.

Thanks BigRedBeta! I have much of the same thoughts on UT Southwestern as you :) Congrats on committing on a ROL, I haven't made it that far yet...maybe I will see you next year, good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm...noticed that lots of people have looked at this topic but only one person has responded...come on people, I know others have opinions about these programs :)

I'm looking at two of those programs (Yale and UofC) as well as planning on doing the heme/onc thing. I really enjoyed enjoyed both visit and I got the impression that both of them would leave you well prepared and competitive for a fellowship. Amongst all the other places I visited, both of them really stood out as having awesome program directors (involved, approachable, and proactive in residents learning). I thought the residents were certainly nice at both places, but they seemed to give off distinctly different vibes. I sort of thought one of them was more like a prada high-heel and the other more like a birkenstock sandal. Oh, and I think the cities were pretty different, so their relative order on my ROL is probably going to come down to locale. Does that help at all? Probably not:oops: G'luck with that decision:luck: