Yale SPH Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

byeh2004

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I just turned in my statement of intent to register last Friday for Yale and I was wondering if anyone else has or will be turning it in soon. I will start a facebook group soon! Thanks!

Bryan

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone,

I just turned in my statement of intent to register last Friday for Yale and I was wondering if anyone else has or will be turning it in soon. I will start a facebook group soon! Thanks!

Bryan

Hi Brian,

Congrats on your acceptance and decision - must be a relief...I've only gotten decisions from two of my six schools so far (both acceptances!). I am waiting for Yale CDE, although I applied right at the deadline in Jan. Which division/program are you doing at Yale?

Thanks!

Hi!

I'm in the Health Management program with a global health concentration! I know how nerve racking decisions were, I was waiting for a good 2 months. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted into Yale CDE, turned in my SOPHAS on 12/15
Still unsure if I'm going or not, $50k/yr is steep :cool:

I'm seriously considering Yale (and Brown), although I am still waiting to hear from Columbia and Harvard. I was accepted to the CDE - Social and Behavioral Health division.
Thus far, they have been more than helpful and friendly. I have been in contact with the head of the department and a current student--both who contacted me. The School of Public Health financial aid coordinator is very helpful as well (and...I just received my financial aid package, including a grant...which is nice).
Also, although it's slightly lower in the rankings...all of the public health professors who I know have wonderful opinions of Yale's program. I also know of a couple of students in the program who love it...specifically for the small class sizes and one's ability to develop relationships with faculty.

I am wondering if anyone else on this forum is currently enrolled in Yale's SPH who can speak to their experience. I'm just looking to hear some positive (maybe convincing) experiences, so I can make the best decision possible. I want to go on to a PhD program after my MPH...so if anyone can speak to the availability of research opportunities, that would be great! :)

I'm seriously considering Yale (and Brown), although I am still waiting to hear from Columbia and Harvard. I was accepted to the CDE - Social and Behavioral Health division.
Thus far, they have been more than helpful and friendly. I have been in contact with the head of the department and a current student--both who contacted me. The School of Public Health financial aid coordinator is very helpful as well (and...I just received my financial aid package, including a grant...which is nice).
Also, although it's slightly lower in the rankings...all of the public health professors who I know have wonderful opinions of Yale's program. I also know of a couple of students in the program who love it...specifically for the small class sizes and one's ability to develop relationships with faculty.

I am wondering if anyone else on this forum is currently enrolled in Yale's SPH who can speak to their experience. I'm just looking to hear some positive (maybe convincing) experiences, so I can make the best decision possible. I want to go on to a PhD program after my MPH...so if anyone can speak to the availability of research opportunities, that would be great! :)

I second this motion! I've heard great things thus far, but the rankings are really throwing me off. Also - ImPublicHealthy - if you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for you to find out about financial aid? That's going to be the ultimate deciding factor for me - I can't shell out that much money for an MPH. I, too, would like to get a PhD

I second this motion! I've heard great things thus far, but the rankings are really throwing me off. Also - ImPublicHealthy - if you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for you to find out about financial aid? That's going to be the ultimate deciding factor for me - I can't shell out that much money for an MPH. I, too, would like to get a PhD

if it helps, I got mine on the 19th. also a small grant and mostly loans, but not quite enough to cover "cost of attendance." it's a lot of money :scared:

Also - ImPublicHealthy - if you don't mind me asking, how long did it take for you to find out about financial aid? That's going to be the ultimate deciding factor for me - I can't shell out that much money for an MPH.

I submitted my FAFSA on 1/6 (updated it on 1/23) and mailed in my supplemental fin aid application around February 1st. I received my Fin Aid package via email on 2/18 (which included a $10K grant...and about $35K worth of loans :( ... ). Scholarships are not given out until the fall, though.

I submitted my FAFSA on 1/6 (updated it on 1/23) and mailed in my supplemental fin aid application around February 1st. I received my Fin Aid package via email on 2/18 (which included a $10K grant...and about $35K worth of loans :( ... ). Scholarships are not given out until the fall, though.

It's ridiculous that Yale is ranked so low, yet is unwilling to give out $$ to recruit students. :( Congrats on getting the $10k grant though! Hopefully the loans aren't too awful - are you officially going to Yale?

Hopefully the loans aren't too awful - are you officially going to Yale?

No, not officially. Assuming that I don't get into Harvard and that I do get into Columbia...it will come down to Yale, Brown, and Columbia. I'm guessing accepted student days will play a big role in helping me decide...

No, not officially. Assuming that I don't get into Harvard and that I do get into Columbia...it will come down to Yale, Brown, and Columbia. I'm guessing accepted student days will play a big role in helping me decide...

Thanks so much for responding. I didn't apply to Harvard, but I did get into other schools that rank higher than Yale (e.g. UNC, Hopkins, Umich). It is impossible for me to attend all of the student days, so I'll have to somehow evaluate it on my own.

To all - how much would YOU be willing to pay for your MPH degree?

Hey ImPublicHealthy- we are in the same boat! I am deciding between Yale SBS, Brown, and Columbia (if I get in). Right now, I keep waffling back and forth because I like the idea of doing the specific SBS program but Brown seems like it might offer better research opportunities and faculty connections bc of the lower class size. I haven't visited either school, however- have you? I'm kind of in a bind because I have to let Brown know about a scholarship by 3/15 and definitely cant get out to either place before then. Yale's tuition is a bit steep which is a major turnoff, too....

Hey ImPublicHealthy- we are in the same boat! I am deciding between Yale SBS, Brown, and Columbia (if I get in). Right now, I keep waffling back and forth because I like the idea of doing the specific SBS program but Brown seems like it might offer better research opportunities and faculty connections bc of the lower class size. I haven't visited either school, however- have you? I'm kind of in a bind because I have to let Brown know about a scholarship by 3/15 and definitely cant get out to either place before then. Yale's tuition is a bit steep which is a major turnoff, too....

Yeah, that's a dilemma. I haven't visited either school yet. I am attending Yale's accepted students' day on 3/27 and will probably visit Brown next week.
Also, when/how did Brown tell you about accepting the scholarship by 3/15? In my acceptance email, they said that I had received a partial 25% scholarship...but no date was given. Perhaps it is a different scholarship, but if not, I am curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, that's a dilemma. I haven't visited either school yet. I am attending Yale's accepted students' day on 3/27 and will probably visit Brown next week.
Also, when/how did Brown tell you about accepting the scholarship by 3/15? In my acceptance email, they said that I had received a partial 25% scholarship...but no date was given. Perhaps it is a different scholarship, but if not, I am curious.

I'd love to hear what you think once you visit the schools. Brown told me in their acceptance email- apparently it's part of a scholarship program they have- Healthy Communities Initiative- and said they needed to know by March 15th which is approaching way too rapidly for my liking!

I'd love to hear what you think once you visit the schools, and thanks for your reply on the other thread. Brown told me about the scholarship in their acceptance email- apparently it's part of a scholarship program they have- Healthy Communities Initiative- and said they needed to know by March 15th which is approaching way too rapidly for my liking! Also they said that they were still considering students for the assistantships, and that if I got one, I would have to decide between the two. Did they tell you something similar? I'm assuming since I haven't heard anything that I didn't get it, but am not sure when they'll decide.

(Sorry this is deviating from the Yale thread)

During one Yale's online sessions they mentioned that scholarships should be going out in the next month? Though whether that's before 4/15 I don't know :rolleyes:

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people deciding between colleges for health management and policy.
I am deciding between Yale, UMich and Columbia...
The tuition is steep every where - especially so since I do not have any funding from colleges - being an international student, funding is always an issue.

Yale has lower rankings, but has a very solid brand value. With UMich, the rankins are better than Yale on every account - public health school, health management programs. Columbia has a networking advantage.

i'M VERY CONFUSED as to what college I should go to.

I'm in the same boat as a lot of people deciding between colleges for health management and policy.
I am deciding between Yale, UMich and Columbia...
The tuition is steep every where - especially so since I do not have any funding from colleges - being an international student, funding is always an issue.

Yale has lower rankings, but has a very solid brand value. With UMich, the rankins are better than Yale on every account - public health school, health management programs. Columbia has a networking advantage.

i'M VERY CONFUSED as to what college I should go to.
If expenses are the same, I'd say go with Michigan.

This is an investment either way and it is important to make as informed of a decision as possible. Keep talking with the schools to get more info.

Good luck :thumbup:

I'd love to hear what you think once you visit the schools. Brown told me in their acceptance email- apparently it's part of a scholarship program they have- Healthy Communities Initiative- and said they needed to know by March 15th which is approaching way too rapidly for my liking!

I can't say much for Brown, but do keep in mind because it is a program and not a full school of public health, your options may be a little more limited in terms of research opportunities than either Yale or Columbia. Columbia is a much bigger school than Yale is, and there'll be more opportunity but also much more competition than Yale.

Just things to keep in mind!

I can't say much for Brown, but do keep in mind because it is a program and not a full school of public health, your options may be a little more limited in terms of research opportunities than either Yale or Columbia. Columbia is a much bigger school than Yale is, and there'll be more opportunity but also much more competition than Yale.

Just things to keep in mind!

I'm not sure about this. After visiting Brown, talking with faculty, meeting with students, etc...I felt as though there were more research opportunities available at Brown. Many/most students seem to get research assistantships too...which cuts costs significantly (covering 50-75% of tuition).

That being said, I unofficially visited Yale today and I was pretty impressed. I will have to wait for the Accepted Students Day to talk with Yale faculty though, which I'm looking forward to.

It's a tough call...

Last edited:
I'm not sure about this. After visiting Brown, talking with faculty, meeting with students, etc...I felt as though there were more research opportunities available at Brown. Many/most students seem to get research assistantships too...which cuts costs significantly (covering 50-75% of tuition).

That being said, I unofficially visited Yale today and I was pretty impressed. I will have to wait for the Accepted Students Day to talk with Yale faculty though, which I'm looking forward to.

It's a tough call...

Sorry if I wasn't that clear. I meant it in the sense that because it's not a full school, there will be fewer professors with primary appointments in the public health program, thus making finding research that you'd want to do a bit more challenge (purely a numbers thing). I didn't mean to indicate that there's no research options there.

Sorry if I wasn't that clear. I meant it in the sense that because it's not a full school, there will be fewer professors with primary appointments in the public health program, thus making finding research that you'd want to do a bit more challenge (purely a numbers thing). I didn't mean to indicate that there's no research options there.

Actually, that's kind of my debate as well...Brown has made it pretty clear that there would be abundant research opportunities, but I'm not so sure they'd be in areas I want to research. At Yale, on the other hand, it seems like students might have to be a little bit more proactive in finding research opportunities but (at least for me) there are more faculty doing research that I'm interested in.

mmm decisions decisions

hey everyone! i officially enrolled into yale as of today. for those of you who will be starting at yale this fall, join the facebook group! it's called...
"Yale Public Health '09-'11"
:)

So do most of you MPH'ers going to Yale have funding?
As far as I know, being international and going to Yale, opportunities for fundng at extremely limited. Even with RA positions, tuition waivers are not a possibility at Yale - you get an hourly wage...
In that case, taking a loan for about 100k, to attend Yale - is it worth it?

Any hockey fans out there? I'll definitely be looking for someone to hit up the hockey games with once school rolls around. I was a big fan of hockey at my undergrad (Boston University), and if you've never been to a college game before, you're in for a treat. I've heard Ingalls Arena is fantastic, too. One of those old classic hockey barns
icon_smile.gif

Just sent in my deposit for Yale...decision finally made, woohoo!

And Stories, I've only been to two hockey games before, but they've always been entertaining and I'd love to see how that plays out on the college leve.

The Yale hockey games are really fun- its pretty popular around here so most of the games are usually sold out.

Just sent in my deposit for Yale...decision finally made, woohoo!

And Stories, I've only been to two hockey games before, but they've always been entertaining and I'd love to see how that plays out on the college leve.

Awesome. So add one person to that list :) College hockey is fantastic. Completely different than NHL games. The bands really add something to the atmosphere. That and unruly college students helps, too! I was an avid fan at BU during my time there, congrats to the national champs, btw :) So if you want to get into hockey, I'm definitely the one to go to a game with!

The Yale hockey games are really fun- its pretty popular around here so most of the games are usually sold out.

Yeah, I've been posting on USCHO.com and many of the Yale folks there said the majority of the crowd is Yale alums and folks from the area. I'm sure hockey doesn't compete at the same level as the football, but since I'm a hockey nut... :)

I agree that hockey games are great as well! I actually went to one of Yale's hockey games last year and it was a good time :)

I got my apartment for the year! I'll be living in one of the Elm Campus/Yale-owned apartments on Prospect St! Anyone else have any other great apartments they're looking forward to?

I'll also be starting at school (on research projects) in July! I'm excited to get this research show on the road. How is everyone else feeling about getting ready for school?