Yale primary care for cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunburn74

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I interviewed at Yale for their primary care track. Its pretty much the only primary care program I am considering for ranking when its all said and done.

However, I strongly lean towards cardiology as a final career destination. If not cards, then general internal medicine as a hospitalist or something in primary care.

I'm concerned because that program has matched just a handful of people into cardiology in the last 7 years (I think around 5) . I realized when i got there and talked to the residents that most of them ACTUALLY want to do primary care (like aren't even considering any fellowship at all). The low cardiology match numbers is mostly a selection issue (they select people who don't want to do cardiology) rather than a problem with the program I reasoned. But then I started to think how do program directors for cardiology look at primary care residents in general?

I dunno. Can you guys give thoughts? Would you be concerned ranking yale primary care if you were interested in something like cards or GI?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you're strongly leaning to cardiology, why in the world would you be considering a primary care track?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey,

I interviewed at Yale for their primary care track. Its pretty much the only primary care program I am considering for ranking when its all said and done.

However, I strongly lean towards cardiology as a final career destination. If not cards, then general internal medicine as a hospitalist or something in primary care.

I'm concerned because that program has matched just a handful of people into cardiology in the last 7 years (I think around 5) with most doing cards at yale. I realized when i got there and talked to the residents that most of them ACTUALLY want to do primary care (like aren't even considering any fellowship at all). The low cardiology match numbers is mostly a selection issue (they select people who don't want to do cardiology) rather than a problem with the program I reasoned. But then I started to think how do program directors for cardiology look at primary care residents in general?

I dunno. Can you guys give thoughts? Would you be concerned ranking yale primary care if you were interested in something like cards or GI?
You can still match cards from primary care tracks. Is there a difference in perception for cards PDs? I'm sure if everything else was equal, Yale categoricals would get picked before the Yale PCTs. If you aren't sure, but are leaning towards a competitive fellowship like cards, I don't understand why you would want to rank a primary care track. You do realize that you can still do primary care from a categorical program, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're strongly leaning to cardiology, why in the world would you be considering a primary care track?

When the whole application cycle began, I was interested in more things. 6 months later my interests have narrowed down greatly.

I would consider going to Yale because I figure the contacts there would help greatly with the fellowship match. One program director for cardiology has already told me it doesn't matter. I'm still not sure though if I should do it and move them up on my list.

I also wonder if the ambulatory schedule would increase the amount of time I have for research.

in general, its not a good idea but it depends on what else is on your list? obviously, if Yale is the program with "the most reputation" on your list then it make sense to go there. However, keep in mind that you will need a good justification. Several PDs have told me that ultimately name of prgm, research (pubs) and letters/phone calls from well-connected, well-known faculty is the key to landing a competitive spot. Strategically, it sounds like a good idea but you should have to be careful how you convey your change of heart away from primary care

You can still match cards from primary care tracks. Is there a difference in perception for cards PDs? I'm sure if everything else was equal, Yale categoricals would get picked before the Yale PCTs. If you aren't sure, but are leaning towards a competitive fellowship like cards, I don't understand why you would want to rank a primary care track. You do realize that you can still do primary care from a categorical program, right?

I've been to a couple of programs with primary care tracks. I think the most important thing is whether or not it is obvious which residents are in a primary care track. At some institutions, their schedules are completely different which would make it obvious to a cardiology attending that they are primary care track so they wouldn't spend extra attention them. At other schools even the residents don't know who is in the primary track because their scheduling is almost the same except for a couple more ambulatory months. Once you figure that out for Yale, I think you can figure out your decision.

There is a difference between the traditional and the PCT. The PCT covers a community hospital in addition to Yale Univ Hospital for a good amount of time. However, you can schedule all your electives at Yale Univ Hospital. The staff all seem to get along and the attendings teach everyone well. It was amazingly collegial. I really wouldn't mind going there but I just worry that its an overly calculated move which may backfire and I'd be better off going for a traditional track at a less prestigious but still strongly respected institution.

Honestly, program directors on the cards trail rarely are able to distinguish between the two programs...so if you come with an intent to do cards (as some do) and do all the right things, you'll match very well - BIDMC, UTSW, Yale, WashU, Scripps and GT/WHC in recent years. The traditional match list in cards is broader and deeper, yes, but you'll be fine. You gotta consider whether you're right for three years in a very primary care-centric residency, though...it's a special place, no doubt about it, but it either speaks to you or it doesn't