Yale post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postbaccer2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this? Like do they have decent advisors, write a letter, etc? The website is pretty unclear, and when I emailed in a question I got a one-sentence response. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

seriously? i was so excited to see a response. but "..." is all i get? does anyone know anything about yale's program? if you know ANYTHING, please help me! thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
zahque said:
to be honest, i've never even heard of a post-bac at yale before. boston university and georgetown are considered the two heavy hitters.

There is always confusion in these forums when someone mentions "post bac program". Zahque seems to think it means a program like a Special Master's Program or a program with graduate work in the sciences. Others may think it means a program for those with no science background who need to take the pre-reqs for medical school.

Which category does the Yale post-bac program fall into?

it's an undergrad program for people with no or few pre-reqs. it's through their "eli whitney" school for non-degree students. the classes are with the undergrads, which has its own advantages and disadvantages, but i can't tell about the quality of advising or the number of students or anything else.

postbaccer2006 said:
it's an undergrad program for people with no or few pre-reqs. it's through their "eli whitney" school for non-degree students. the classes are with the undergrads, which has its own advantages and disadvantages, but i can't tell about the quality of advising or the number of students or anything else.

I can't tell you about the quality of the advising or number of students, but the program looks like every other post-bac program. From the website:

Benefits

All participants in the Post-Baccalaureate Premedical Program will have a premedical adviser who will counsel them about the appropriate academic program, advise them about medical school applications, and write the presentation letter. All participants will have access to math-science tutors on a regular basis. Dossier service will be provided for each student.

The program offers advising, writes a letter of rec, is a reputable school, and gives you the reqs for medical school. Although some programs "hold your hand" more than others, if you can handle doing the leg work yourself, have the drive to do well in all of the pre-reqs, and find volunteer and research positions, than the program looks fine.

I will be attending the Georgetown post-bac program (not the SMP) and it seems very similar to the Yale program. I know several people on this site who have gone through program and have done well in the classes (with undergrads), had incredible letters written on their behalf, and have been accepted to medical school. They have admitted the advising was not the strongest, but it did not stop them from getting into some of the best medical schools in country.

The quality of advising at a program may not be that important. You can easily find answers to any questions you may have about the medical school application and the post-bac process by reading different threads on this site or asking pre-med advisors at the school you choose to attend.

Why Yale? Location?

i'm definitely not interested in it for the location. i have no desire to live in new haven. but the quality of the academics and the rigor are appealling. i'm also considering georgetown and a few others. i'd like to take classes with undergrads.

Hey, I'm a Yale undergrad, and I've seen some post-baccers in my classes, so I can give you a little bit of information. Like you said, it's not a SMP like at Georgetown or BU. You probably get some freedom in picking what classes you take. Your advisers will probably be the same person that the Yale undergrads get, who are Ed Miller or Betsy Talcott at the Undergraduate Career Services pre-med advising panel. Ed is more experienced, and knowledgeable. I will warn you, though, that you have to put in the effort to see HIM - he's far too busy with undergrads and post-grads to come looking for you. His secretary, Bonnie, is sweet in a no-nonsense type of way, and very helpful. Make appiontments to see him early on, if you need advice. Come October, when most med apps are due, or the end of the year, when he's preparing the junior class for applying to med schools, he gets to be hard to reach.

I don't know how your grades will be calculated; I assume you'll be competing with the undergrads and just getting their grades on their same curve. In that case, it's not that hard to get a B. To get an A, however, def takes some more effort, as there are a good number of competitive undergrads at Yale. Biochemistry takes some effort, genetics is not so bad (the first test tends to get you the highest grade, so don't inflate your sense of competence in the class too early on), reproductive biology was a popular one, Orgo I and II will require a lot of effort and frustration, Physics is not so bad but don't expect the labs to work EVER, cell bio I thought was a pain in the ass but the professor is renowned so maybe getting to know him would be good for your LoRs, and inorganic was fairly easy. Yale has a lot of great electives, too, so if you have time, check them out. I recommend the History of Medicine dept if you're into that kind of stuff; there's also a survey bioethics course offered under Poli Sci.

Good luck to you!

I'll throw in my 2 cents here i guess....my opinion may not be as accurate or valuable as a yale undergrad but over a year ago when i started looking into post baccs i did, what I thought, was very thorough research....to be honest, I don't think yale is a great post bacc option compared to many others....i say this because it's insanely expensive and is not a structured, formal program by any means....you can finish your prereqs at any school and i see yale as just a means to get them done and apply to med school...just like any other school....I think in sum yale welcomes non matriculated students and has done a decent job advertising the fact that they specificially welcome post baccs...but this does not mean they have a formal, structured program.....as the undergrad said, the advising may take effort and it never sounded like a "hand holding" post bacc....on the upside...it's yale. if you do well you will get into med school. bottom line. also, there will be tons of EC opportunities in close proximity. so i guess it really depends on you....do you have the money to go to yale? do you not need your hand held? not to push penn on you (because i went there and am returning for post bacc) but it's a first rate ivy league education and reputation, but the classes are in the college of general studies and infinitely cheaper than yale (or even the day classes at penn)....it's also very flexible but the advisors are there for post baccs only and are extremely accessible. give it some thought...lemme know if there's anything i can try to answer. good luck!

not to push penn on you (because i went there and am returning for post bacc) but it's a first rate ivy league education and reputation, but the classes are in the college of general studies and infinitely cheaper than yale (or even the day classes at penn)....it's also very flexible but the advisors are there for post baccs only and are extremely accessible. give it some thought...lemme know if there's anything i can try to answer. good luck![/QUOTE]

i think penn is actually my first choice! it seems like a great program. solid academics and great advising. i think all around i'd have a better experience there than at yale. thanks for your help.

I talked to an enrolled Yale post-bac student the other day who was unimpressed by the program. No community and poor advising. There are lots of opportunities to volunteer and great research opportunities (if you're willing to work to get involved in them), but apparently the program's lack of structure and support are serious drawbacks.

Sorry this is second hand, but I'm applying to the program and found it very useful information to consider. Go figure--I thought Yale would have a great program.