Yale Pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prairie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I’m a first-year resident, I only feel qualified to comment on the AP aspect of the program. I do know that there are several CP-only residents right now; if you have questions about this option, I’m sure one of them would be available to talk to on interview days.

1. We have 2 years of AP then 18 months of CP. The other 6 months can be spent doing research, AP, or CP rotations.
2. Our AP rotations last 4 weeks –
- 4 rotations of autopsy with 2 weeks spent at the Bronx Medical Examiners’ Office
- 4 rotations of general surg path at Yale (dermpath included with these rotations)
- 2 rotations each of breast, GI, GYN, Peds/Renal, Cyto/Heme, and Neuro at Yale
- 2 rotations of general surg path at the VA and Bridgeport Hospital
- 2 rotations of Peds/Renal path
- 2 rotations of Cytology/Heme
- 2 rotations of elective
3. The Yale AP rotations: We have a conference every day at 8 am with a rotation of lectures, unknown conferences, resident presentations of interesting cases, and gross conference. After conference, we signout with attendings; this usually lasts until lunch. We gross in the afternoons and then preview our cases for the next day after that.
4. We take weekend autopsy call during the first year and the first month of the second year. I’m “first call” for 6 weekends (do the first autopsy of the day) and “second call” for 7 weekends (take the second autopsy of the day).
5. Weekend grossing duties (Saturday mornings) don’t start until the end of the first year; it works out to be every 6 weeks or so during the second year.
6. The other residents are wonderful and are very supportive. Everyone has a very different background which make things more interesting. There’s an equal mix of residents that are married with kids, those that are married, and those that are single.
7. The AP attendings that I’ve signed out with so far have been great. Plenty of one-on-one time with excellent teaching and feedback.
8. We get $1400 per year for educational expenses – books, palm pilots, USMLE fees, etc. There are separate funds available for travel to conferences.
9. We have 3 wonderful PA’s in the gross room who are always available (though the attendings are always happy to come and help out with a specimen). We also have 3 great full-time autopsy techs who also take weekend call with us.

If you have any questions, now or after interview season when you’re working on your rank lists, please feel free to send me a private message.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for updating all of us. Hope to see you next year.

-P.