Yale or Cornell over Higher-ranked School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acab

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I met this student who said she got accepted to Hopkins, Cornell, UPenn and Yale, and waitlisted at Harvard. She didn't even try to be accepted at Harvard as she chose Yale because its name is more valuable than the higher rankings of the other schools (Hopkins,& UPenn). Her advice: everything else being equal, choose Harvard or Yale.

What do you guys think? Would you choose, say Cornell or Yale, over Hopkins or UPenn (everything else being equal)?

Members don't see this ad.

This is an interesting question. I guess the first answer is, who are you looking to impress? The people who matter, I think, are residency directors and other docs. And they can pretty well distinguish between name-based reputation and the school's actual quality. Plus, keep in mind that we're talking all top-10 schools here. The difference in reputation is negligible.

I think the only people who are going to be impressed by a name like Harvard or Yale over UPenn or something comparable are people outside the medical community. A friend of mine described this pretty well. She goes to UCSF and got in as an out-of-state, which is ridiculously tough. She also got into Harvard, Yale, Penn, Columbia, and Hopkins, but chose UCSF because she thought she'd be happiest there. When she tells regular folks where she goes, the reaction is almost always "oh, that's nice," instead of "wow! that's amazing!" But she decided she didn't really care.

Past all the questions about reputation, the biggest question for me in picking a school is where I'll be happiest. If I go to Hopkins but am miserable, its name recognition isn't going to be worth squat to me. I'd rather go somewhere I love, work hard, and match into a good program where I'll continue to be happy.

I totally agree. That's well said. When you look at it, you'll get medical education at any med school you go to. You'll eventually achieve the goal you have worked very hard for- becoming a DOCTOR!

All I know is that I want to be happy for the next 4 years of my life. There is already so much stress invoved, I don'tcertainly wouldn't the extra stress of hating my surroundings.

Good luck. Finally, I wouldn't let reputation be the MAIN deciding factor. Gotta go to histology class.

Later.....

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally agree. That's well said. When you look at it, you'll get medical education at any med school you go to. You'll eventually achieve the goal you have worked very hard for- becoming a DOCTOR!

All I know is that I want to be happy for the next 4 years of my life. There is already so much stress invoved, I don'tcertainly wouldn't the extra stress of hating my surroundings.

Good luck. Finally, I wouldn't let reputation be the MAIN deciding factor. Gotta go to histology class.

Later.....

its not really that implausible to see people pick say a yale or umich over harvard, hopkins, etc. lots of factors will (or at least should) play into your final decision in picking a school besides usnews, and not everyone has the same tastes and values. Here at cornell there are many people in my class (including myself) who picked here over ostensibly higher ranked schools for a variety of reasons: they liked the curriculum, they preferred the location, they got a better deal financially here, they liked the particular research opportunities here (a little more salient for mstp students i guess), you get the idea. Its a matter of choosing the school that is the best fit for you, and no published rankings, admissions director, medical student or random person on sdn is going to be able to tell you whats YOUR best scenario. it all depends on what you value most, whether it be rankings, location, curriculum, money, or a combination of factors :)

Originally posted by topherius
I guess the first answer is, who are you looking to impress? The people who matter, I think, are residency directors and other docs. And they can pretty well distinguish between name-based reputation and the school's actual quality. Plus, keep in mind that we're talking all top-10 schools here. The difference in reputation is negligible.

I think the only people who are going to be impressed by a name like Harvard or Yale over UPenn or something comparable are people outside the medical community.

How can I find out which schools give the best education, as opposed to schools that only have a good name-based reputation and prestige? How relevant are the US News and World Report Guide rankings? How important is the student/faculty ratio? If the "faculty/student" ratio in USNWR is 11, does that mean there are 11 faculty for every student? :eek:

If you're trying to impress the general public, then a name like Cornell or Yale will carry greater weight than Washington Univ. or UCSF, which are well known inside the medical community, but largely unheard of outside it.

Then again, in 20+ years of working as a doctor, my Dad says no patient has ever asked him where he went to med. school at :p

I agree with the rest of the posters. Who exactly are you trying to impress? If you are going into a school just so you can impress your future in laws, the manager at your local grocery store or the people you meet at bars then you are going to that school for the wrong reasons.

All the top schools are great in their own sense and they are unique. Their curriculum is different, the locations are different the financial aid/offers vary and the list goes on. The Yale system is so different than Hopkins.

A person who is passionate about what he/she wants to do (for the right reasons), chooses the school that he/she will fit in the most and enjoy the 4 years (or more) there.

My oldest brother turned down Hopkins and Harvard for Stanford because he truly saw himself there.

My youngest brother (who is applying with me) LOVED Yale and i felt "so and so" about it. It's not a matter of Yale being a good or bad school. It's because people are so unique in their own sense , that the choices we make on where we want to be are unique also.

I come from a family with legacy in various schools. Both my father and my grandfather went to Hopkins med school. Yet they always told me that i should go to where i feel i belong to.

Thanks all for the honest replies!

I agree that you should go to a school where you feel you'll be happy for 4 years. That's definitely the most important factor in choosing the right school for you.

What I tried to ask was really a "name reputation" versus "ranking" for the residency programs. Assuming your feelings for the schools are exactly equal (taking everything else into consideration).

I think Topherius's post put it just the way it is. Thanks!

Hehe...my dad completed his medical training at Duke (med school as well as residency)...when he began his practice in the early 70's, ppl would ask him "now where did you go to school again? Duquesne?" Of course this was in the northern panhandle of Wv...

I wouldn't choose a school based on its potential to impress people. Choose it based on your fit to the school. As for name vs. rank, remember that you're talking about top 10-20 schools anyway. Each one will probably get you just as far as the next. It's not like you're comparing the #1 school to #50.

Originally posted by SoulRFlare
Hehe...my dad completed his medical training at Duke (med school as well as residency)...when he began his practice in the early 70's, ppl would ask him "now where did you go to school again? Duquesne?" Of course this was in the northern panhandle of Wv...

Several of my aunts and uncles received medical degrees in India at very good med schools that are extremely well known in India but are completely unknown in the States. Once they were licensed though, where they got their medical degree didn't matter - the fact that they were MDs was all that mattered.

It's funny how to see how people in university/college settings view things and compare them with others. We obsess about getting into Harvard, Hopkins, etc.. but no one outside of the academic medical world gives a damn. And although I know this, I am still real worried about where I will get into med school. Part of this is due to my desire to get into academic medicine, but part of it is due to this irrational paranoia, which is often hyperexemplified on this forum.

boy how i wish i had that tough choice to make

:rolleyes:

Yeah...my dad keeps telling me "Don't worry about The Top schools...just concentrate on getting into a medical school...patients don't care where you went to school anyway..."
to which I reply "easy for you to say...you went to Duke."

in all seriousness...you're point is well taken. most schools are excellent schools, all teach the same material...
but...I just really like Ann Arbor...

Originally posted by bigbaubdi
but part of it is due to this irrational paranoia, which is often hyperexemplified on this forum.

word

Is there anyone who can say they actually made a decision to attend a significantly lower ranked school rather than a top teir school? As in they chose Eastern Podunk State over Harvard for non financial or spousal reaons? Thus far it's just been people who've had to choose Ivy League A over Ivy League B (Or top ten ranked school A over top ten ranked school B).

All of you have made excellent arguments. I believe the "irrational paranoia" is a result of going through so many highly competitive science courses and MCAT testing, so that you can get the best grades. But that is certainly not enough....what about the ECs, LORs, research,...and you gotta be interesting and different on top of it all. That "irrational paranoia" is simply a way to finally breathe, vent, and hope for the best, while we wait for the decisions. It is a very hard and long process....many of us gave up on the way, had a nervous breakdown, cried many times.

So the "irrational paranoia" may even be a healthy reaction, maybe even expected toward the end of the process. Sharing the paranoia with others in the same position has been incredible. My friends and family can't really relate to this agony as well as other pre-meds applying right now can.

I actually look forward to checking out the forum everyday. Despite some rotten ones, SDNers are very positive and encouraging, and give good and honest advice that my premed advisor wouldn't know because he's not going through this whole process himself.