Yale-G's Refined Clinical Review for USMLE Step 2 & 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BelieveTheHype

Mad Widgetry
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone read or have any experience with this book: "Yale-G's Refined Clinical Review for USMLE Step 2 & 3"? Here is the Infectious Diseases chapter: http://usmle-yaleg.com/YG-Rep1-Web.pdf . How does it compare to the MTB / Step Up series? I have no experiences with any of these books, so if anyone can give it a quick skim and offer any opinions? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Has anyone read or have any experience with this book: "Yale-G's Refined Clinical Review for USMLE Step 2 & 3"? Here is the Infectious Diseases chapter: http://usmle-yaleg.com/YG-Rep1-Web.pdf . How does it compare to the MTB / Step Up series? I have no experiences with any of these books, so if anyone can give it a quick skim and offer any opinions? Thanks!

Basically has the same stuff as MTB but doesn't seem to have the clinical "pearls" which MTB has in the boxes on the sides. It may be good for someone who likes tables/charts.

MTB will just say flat out when a specific answer choice is always wrong and in which cases you should pick a certain answer. It explains each answer choice in its explanation so you can see why itd be wrong or the most commonly wrong answer. It's tailored for getting you more points on the exam and minimizing errors, both by knowledge acquisition as well as fixing the way you see/think through things.

Some of those classic disease spotter pics at the end in Yale-G - are actually identical images that Conrad Fischer (MTB author) put in his Physical Diagnosis flashcards - just an FYI. Doesn't really matter, just saying that is something I noticed right away.

Thanks for your input and insight. If both books are similar, but MTB contains some extras, then I guess that is the book to invest in.

I realize the market is very competitive but don't feel it's possible to create a perfect review book because all students start with different knowledge bases.

I own all the books mentioned in this thread (plus a few more) and think each has it's own strength. I generally read whichever one suits the day's study plan.

I make annotations in First Aid while doing questions because that method has worked for a lot of people that scored really well.

MTB explains why incorrect answers are incorrect and goes a little into the thought process behind doing questions properly. I've found that very helpful and am surprised no books spend more time on it. I guess people figure you have to attend an actual review course to learn how to successfully do questions.

If you're studying for Step 2 CK immediately after taking a year full of shelf exams, you could do UW right away and forgo books. Any large volume is sufficient (MTB, etc) if you feel the need for systematic review. The only book out of the usual suspects that is really terse and incomplete is Crush Step 2, which honestly hits the most important points and be read very quickly.