Yale/Emory/NYU/BU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kaytay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Finally, seven of my nine applications are back in...almost time to make a decision! I would really appreciate any input...

Yale (Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases in the Global Health Concentration)
NYU (Master in Global Health Program)
Emory (Global and MCH)
BU (Global and MCH)
Brown -- not the strongest fit for me
Dartmouth -- not the strongest fit for me
U of I. Chicago -- not the strongest fit for me

Columbia -- denied (I dont have two years pos-bac experience)

I was planning on focusing primarily on global health and MCH, but also am really into biology research and plan to eventually apply to medical school. I really want overseas opportunities as well... I am so horrible at decisions!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
Finally, seven of my nine applications are back in...almost time to make a decision! I would really appreciate any input...

Emory (Global and MCH)
BU (Global and MCH)

I was planning on focusing primarily on global health and MCH, but also am really into biology research and plan to eventually apply to medical school. I really want overseas opportunities as well... I am so horrible at decisions!

I'd say that Emory is the best fit for what you want to do - they have the CDC, excellent biomedical research facilities, and a well-regarded medical school. Their global health program also has lots of opportunities to complete your externship abroad. I'm in a very similar situation to you, in that I want to work with the epidemiology of infectious diseases (kinetoplastids, multiple resistant TB, malaria, and/or HIV) and am considering medical school in the future. Good luck making the decision!

Hello,

Emory (Global and MCH)
BU (Global and MCH)

I think that Emory, Yale, NYU and Brown have the best global health tracks, and offer some of the better education global health and public health wise. Sorry to hear you didn't have the reqs for Columbia, their global health track is good too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Stories-- I see that you have studied at BU and Yale, and yet you still recommend Emory? What is your impression of global health studies at BU and Yale?

Thanks Stories-- I see that you have studied at BU and Yale, and yet you still recommend Emory? What is your impression of global health studies at BU and Yale?

BU has a full International Health concentration. I don't know much about it aside for the fact that many folks double up with another concentration (often Social Behavioral Sciences or Epi). It's by far the biggest department at BU, so there must be something good about it.

Yale doesn't officially have a Global Health program, but it's something you can have a focus on. You would officially be a student in one of the other divisions (CDE, EHS, EMD, SBS, HPM) but have a concentration in Global Health. It's also something that's still in its infancy as the school recently had a refocus on the program after having disolved the separate division some years ago. Then again, I'm not 100% familiar with all of Yale's MPH programs since I'm a PhD student, not an MPH student.

How is the course at NYU? Are jobs easily available? I have also received an admit from emory. Though CDC is closer to Emory but isnt New York a better place for job opportunities/