Xxx

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gonnif

Rule One: Take a Breath
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
xxx

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey there all my non traditional cohorts!

I check this forum out periodically and I see a lot of threads for what are my chances, read my PS, I have a (job, a family, a poodle, -insert seemingly insurmountable obstacle here) and how do I get through this process and still have my sanity type of posts here.

So first off, let me tell you that if this is your dream- you will find a way to make it happen. It might be hard, it will make you cry, it will make you laugh, you will tear your hair out at times, but it is all part of the journey and once you are on the other side of it (I.e. med school, residency, attending) it will seem like a dream.

So, how do you get to that dream like state? Well, you have already made an important first step...you have found the SDN and hopefully the oldpremeds.org forums...you are here asking for help and guidance. Great start!!! Now as we approach the beginning of a new application cycle it's time to take the next big step!

COME TO THE OLDPREMEDS CONFERENCE THIS JUNE 6-9 IN DC!

This is three full days of information packed, networking, and good times -and it is all about you! this is the forums ON CRACK- in person, with real live admissions officers, amazing speakers, and a room full of people all in various stages of this crazy game there to answer your questions!!

YOU WILL NOT GET THIS LEVEL OF PERSONAL ATTENTION TO YOUR INDIVIDUAL APPLICATION ANYWHERE ELSE!

Ok, so why should you come? Well, first off let me start by saying that I have been going to this conference since 2004 and I would not be where I am today if I hadn't gone. I was working a corporate job when I decided to go to med school. I was carrying the usual non trad baggage like a horrible gpa to overcome from my youth and was not competitive candidate at all. I started to loook for any help I could find.. And luckily I stumbled upon www.oldpremeds.org where I lurched in the forums and then took the plunge to go to the conference. so the first three or four years I attended the conference I was in the application process and taking the MCATS ETC. I continued to go while In the SMP at Georgetown, and while taking a year to apply again, and then getting into multiple med schools, intern year and now as a combined EM IM resident. (living the dream!)

I go because :
1 there is an entire community there to support me and help me get the info I need to succeed
2 I was able to show my stats and statements to admission officers of post bac and med schools and get amazing feedback on the spot
3 With my less than stellar stats I was able to network in a non competitive environment. Now people knew me, not my paper application...and trust me it helps!
4 I picked up a ton of great advice from people who were a bit ahead of me in the process and avoided costly mistakes...and I still have those people so when I am ready for a job, etc I have mentors!
5 I have made lifetime friends whom I couldn't of done this without
6 it helps recharge you - this is a marathon not a 100 meter dash- so spending 3 days with people who are also in the same boat is a great motivator.. You will leave feeling a little dazed and confused and overwhelmed but so freaking excited to continue to pursue this dream!
7 it s a great way to get a weekend off from life!

Okay...hope I have convinced you and I really hope to see you there in a few weeks. Make sure to find me and introduce yourself. I'm always happy to help!

Www.oldpremeds.org

NOW GO REGISTER while You are thinking about it. trust me, you will be glad you came!

Marcia

It sounds great, but there is no way I could go.

Members don't see this ad :)
im coiming

Last edited:
Is it possible to register the day of the conference and pay to attend Saturday/Sunday? I am hoping to find a good flight for that weekend and my sister lives in the area so I would love to attend this.

dp

Last edited:
If I end up having to push back my MCAT (currently scheduled for June 20, but I'm not sure I'm ready), I'll likely come. I have to go to NYC so I'll just fly to DC and then drive to NY post-conference.

If I end up having to push back my MCAT (currently scheduled for June 20, but I'm not sure I'm ready), I'll likely come. I have to go to NYC so I'll just fly to DC and then drive to NY post-conference.

Thanks for the information :rolleyes:

Was looking around, but didn't find it... what is the dress code? I'm assuming business casual?

Was looking around, but didn't find it... what is the dress code? I'm assuming business casual?

Not even. Comfort is the name of the game. Shorts, short sleeve shirt, Just keep in mind that you will be making a lot of first impressions to many important people. So you do not want to wear a shirt that says "I break for breasts".

This is very informal.

I have a room from the 5-9... If anyone wants to split costs and join me let me know. Doesn't have to be for all the nights.

You will share your room with a stranger? :eek: What if they jump you in the middle of the night? Or do crazy things at night like ....i can't even begin to imagine :D

Well, I reserve the right to rescind the offer of course. Lol.

I've done it once before and it worked out well. Although, in theory we were total strangers when we made the arrangements (to stay at a pediatric neuroblastoma conference in LA via an internet forum), turns out the girl I stayed with knew one of my siblings well.

I do agree that you should keep safety in the forefront though. Being safe is definitely of the utmost importance at all times. Though, malaika... I can't imagine someone randomly trying to jump you with harmful intent in the middle of the night... you may want to layoff the Criminal Minds and CSI.

You will share your room with a stranger? :eek: What if they jump you in the middle of the night? Or do crazy things at night like ....i can't even begin to imagine :D

I've done it once before and it worked out well. Although, in theory we were total strangers when we made the arrangements (to stay at a pediatric neuroblastoma conference in LA via an internet forum), turns out the girl I stayed with knew one of my siblings well.

I do agree that you should keep safety in the forefront though. Being safe is definitely of the utmost importance at all times. Though, malaika... I can't imagine someone randomly trying to jump you with harmful intent in the middle of the night... you may want to layoff the Criminal Minds and CSI.
:laugh: Yea, i think i've been watching too much of those.
But seriously, i'd be really cautious tho. Sometimes crazy does not have a face

Have fun guys!

Last edited: