XS vs 59 modifier

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lately I have heard podiatrists talk about the XS modifier. One person said they get reimbursed 100% for all procedures performed on the same patient. For example nails and calluses both get reimbursed at full price and not 50% for the second procedure.

My online research has not made the difference between 59 and XS clear to me nor if I should use XS at all. My practice manager has not heard of XS. Do any of you use XS modifier?

Members don't see this ad.

I use XS for medicare and medicaid only. It's a more specific version of 59. It doesn't get me 100% for my line 2 CPT code. The advantage of the XS modifier is it slips you under the radar if your 59 modifiers ever get audited.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The 59 modifier is often abused. It’s not to eliminate an edit, it’s do note that the procedure is for a different pathology at a different location.

And it’s to report procedures that are not normally reported together.

Example 1. You perform a hammertoe repair, 28285 on the second toe and a flexor tenotomy on the 3rd toe.

There is an edit for 28285 with 28232. But in this case the 59 is to note that the 28232 is on a DIFFERENT toe.

Using 59 for the 28232 for the same toe as the 28285 would be a MISUSE of the modifier.

Reactions: 2 users
The 59 modifier is often abused. It’s not to eliminate an edit, it’s do note that the procedure is for a different pathology at a different location.

Example 1. You perform a hammertoe repair, 28285 on the second toe and a flexor tenotomy on the 3rd toe.

There is an edit for 28285 with 28232. But in this case the 59 is to note that the 28232 is on a DIFFERENT toe.

Using 59 for the 28232 for the same toe as the 28285 would be a MISUSE of the modifier.

Ok so what I’m gathering from this is that when I need to bill 7 different CPT codes on the single toe that I’m doing surgery on then I need to be sure to use the XS modifier so I don’t get in trouble.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

I have used the T modifiers for that to specify the toe, arent we supposed to use the most specific modifier to distinguish distinct and separate?

59 is general, XS is more specific.