Xavier University, Cincinnati Psy D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melon1129

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is in Xavier University's Psy D program or thinking about applying there. What do you like about the program? Don't like? Any info is much appreciated!

thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently at XU. Overall I am a big fan of the program. It has a strong research focus (unusual for a Psy.D. program), excellent training in assessment and clinical skills. Good practicum placements are available and most are paid. We have a nice balance of psychodynamic, behavioral, and CBT oriented faculty. Our internship match has been well above the national average. The things I don't like are the lack of space for working, cost ($$$$), and a couple of the course designs (you will find that last one in any program, I'm sure.

Hope this is helpful.

I'm applying to Xavier. What is the financial aid situation like?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your first year you usually get a GA that pays about 1/2 your tuition (this is not guaranteed, but I don't know anyone who didn't get it). After that, you have opportunities to apply for other GA or TA positions. You start practicum in 2nd year and most are paid so that helps some. But you will be in debt, I'm not gonna lie. Tuition is about $700/credit hour

Thanks. I figured I wouldn't be walking away with a free ride, but that sounds good. How is the program, faculty, other students, etc?

I'm currently at XU. Overall I am a big fan of the program. It has a strong research focus (unusual for a Psy.D. program), excellent training in assessment and clinical skills. Good practicum placements are available and most are paid. We have a nice balance of psychodynamic, behavioral, and CBT oriented faculty. Our internship match has been well above the national average. The things I don't like are the lack of space for working, cost ($$$$), and a couple of the course designs (you will find that last one in any program, I'm sure.

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks!! :D