x

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fonziefonz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
RE: (7) If you have been in university for 4 years already, you can get up to $60,000 total from Canada / provincial student loans for optometry taken in the U.S. regardless of your parents' income. This is interest free until 6 months after you graduate. Royal Bank and National Bank have loans but with interest of course calculated from day one. A home equity loan from Dad at cheaper interst rates is probably the cheapest option for whatever you are short over the Canada student loan amount.

Go to the following page on Canada Student Loans

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/asp/gateway....rtantLinks/02_il_MasterListIndex.shtml&hs=cxp

and then open the Interantional file under "Designated Educational Institutions" and you will see Nova listed on page 38 as school "MUYH". This means they will approve a loan to attend the school.

Click on the Canloan button and pick your province. I just know Alberta/ Canada cover up to $60,000. Maybe your province is different but likely it is the same deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
www.canlearn.ca.

Sorry, drill on the aboe site and go to your province's loan program from there.

The second reference was to the National Bank of Canada and their program. Each major Canadian bank has their own program although some have higher limits than others. Quite a few students refer to the Royal Bank's program. Check their web site.

Each province has their own program. OSAP is the Ontario one.

I'm from Ontario. I thought you could only get OSAP if your pretty poor.
After you've been out of highschool for four years your parents income is not included in the osap calculations, you are considered financially independent - for most of us that means that osap is fairly generous. I haven't applied yet myself, but many of my friends have recieved ~$10,000CAD each year of US optometry school.

If planning to start optometry school in the US soon, I would suggest using up any money you have available in RESP's NOW to maximize your osap benefit.

1. How is your health care covered in Florida? Am I still covered under
OHIP or do I need insurance? Is this done through the university and what
do they cover? How much?

You are still covered by OHIP, but OHIP will only pay what they would pay to a hospital in Ontario...which is woefully inadequate and would leave you with some hefty bills in any unfortunate circumstances. You can risk going withoug coverage, but some schools do require it. Check with your parents employee insurance, it may cover you.
6. How is tuition paid and when?
Some schools, and I believe that NOVA is one of them, will allow you to pay with a credit card, which gives you the opportunity to collect some serious air miles/other rewards. Be careful though to only do this with a USD denominated credit card, otherwise you will be charged up to 3% in currency conversion fees.
7. Are there any loans or grants for Canadian students? Where did you borrow
the money from (Canadian gov, U.S. gov, bank)?
As others have mentioned, you have Canadian banks, Canada Student Loans program, provincial student loans depending on your province of residency, and CanHelp/CanLearn.

For Ontario, Canada Student Loans are disbursed by OSAP, even though you will not qualify for provincial funding it will all still be handled by OSAP.

8. How do I get a student visa?
Your school will send you the necessary forms, you supply proof that you can finance you education (loan forms, letter from bank manager, etc.), you initiatly pay a fee online, print the receipt, and hand over all the documents including passport over to US Customs and Immigration when you are moving down for school. Not a really difficult process, just somewhat confusing given the form names that aren't necessarily printed on the forms...

9. Did you need to set up a new bank account with an American bank? Which do you suggest?
You will need to open a US account, unlike Canada where the big 5 are everywhere, US banks are not as widely distributed. Choose one that will be most convient to where you will be living. Fortunately, there are plently of free chequing accounts available.

I have heard though of an agreement between Scotiabank and Bank of America that allows you to use Bank of America ATM's without a service fee.

For currency conversion I use xetrade.com , competitive rates, no fees, and they withdraw the money from my Canadian account and deposit USD's in my account at an American bank.

10. How difficult did you find the transition to living in the U.S.? How
difficult do you find your course load?
Not that difficult at all to adjust to the US, what was difficult at first was missing all the products you would have assumed are available here but aren't. Things like ketchup potato chips, etc....

Congragulations on your acceptance:thumbup:

I just wanted to clarify some information - so OSAP can give you up to $10,000. If this accounts for the provincial loan, where does the federal money come from ? or is it that the $10,000 includes both provincial and federal loans?

Thanks

I believe that is the combined provincial / federal total. At least in Alberta, it would be.

hey jefguth,

just wondering.. is it hard to apply for a US denomination credit card if you are a Canadian citizen? which one do you suggest we apply for?

TD,as well as other banks I'm sure, offer US$ VISA credit cards.

TD,as well as other banks I'm sure, offer US$ VISA credit cards.

HAHA! That is true.. I work at TD, I should know..

But I was wondering if there are any US cards that give us points/miles/rewards.. etc... so i can put the cost of my tuition on there!

HAHA! That is true.. I work at TD, I should know..

But I was wondering if there are any US cards that give us points/miles/rewards.. etc... so i can put the cost of my tuition on there!

most major cc companies have rewards program. check out american express, citibank, or chase.

I am canadian though.. so is it difficult to apply for a US credit card? if you know the name of the exact credit card, please post!

I am canadian though.. so is it difficult to apply for a US credit card? if you know the name of the exact credit card, please post!

Hey Crissystar,

It can be kinda difficult for a Canadian to get a US credit card (cc) from a US bank, but there are a few options available to you.

1. you could apply for a USD denominated card from a canadian bank - I think RBC's card probably has the better rewards program for USD cards.

2. if you are an American Express (Canada) cardholder, or if you apply and get one soon, you can then ask them to re-issue you a USD card.

3. Once you start school in the US you can get your SSN (social security number) and then begin applying for cards from US banks. However, you will likely have to start off with a less than ideal card, so it could be six months before you are able to get a card with decent rewards and a large enough line of credit.

There are really just too many possible exact cards to discuss, some with good rewards, others just mediocre. I myself prefer straight cashback over airmiles, whatev. When you do apply for your first card in the US though, don't bother applying for upper tier cards with good rewards though, you don't have any credit history, and they will not give it to you. Just stick to student cards until you've established 6 months of good history.

there was a big discussion on this in the Canadian forum a few months ago...

Hey fonkie,

I'm from Toronto and I'm part of PCO's Class 2010. I'll try to answer some of your questions.

1. Get BlueCross. You have to tell OHIP That you're going away so BlueCross will know, because I think they cover a certain % if something happens to you. I'm paying $533 CDN for 9 months. It covers me 100% (not drugs though). Go to their site and call them.

9. I set up a bank account pretty easily. I came down here, I set it up with Wachovia. They just looked at my passport and I think made a copy of it? Since I didn't have a SSN. I set it up the first day I was here. Deposited my money order which I brought from Canada in US funds. You don't really need a credit card. The card I have is a "check card" which is a VISA/debit in one. It's cool, because if you buy something using your VISA card, it takes the money within 1 day from your account. I don't really need a "real" credit card since I don't see the difference. I also get VISA Extra Rewards from this. Basically, bring your acceptance letter, your I-20 Visa, and your passport.

10. It was a pretty easy transition. I mean I'm in Philly, and its ghetto'er than anything in Toronto. Even the "not as bad" ghetto here, is nothing compared to Toronto. So that took a bit getting used too. There's a really huge difference between the different races. You'll know what I mean when you're down here. There's no melting pot like in Toronto, where everyone lives together.

I have been accepted into Optometry at Nova Southeastern for the class of 2011. However, I'm from Canada. So I have several questions and I was wondering if any of you guys could help me out. If anyone could answer any of these questions it would be great. It is VERY appreciated!

1. How is your health care covered in Florida? Am I still covered under
OHIP or do I need insurance? Is this done through the university and what
do they cover? How much?

2. What about drug plans? Is there separate insurance needed for that? How
much?

3. What is the schedule like for school? Do you go year round? How much time
do you have off and when?

4. Why do school supplies cost $9200 in the 1st year? How much more do we
need for the following years or does this cover all 4 years? How much more
do we need to purchase?

5. Where do most students live? How much is a place there? How did you find
a place to live?

6. How is tuition paid and when?

7. Are there any loans or grants for Canadian students? Where did you borrow
the money from (Canadian gov, U.S. gov, bank)?

8. How do I get a student visa?

9. Did you need to set up a new bank account with an American bank? Which do you suggest?

10. How difficult did you find the transition to living in the U.S.? How
difficult do you find your course load?

Sorry for all the questions! It just so much of a change!