X-linked

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedPR

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From EK

The female may carry a recessive trait on her 23rd chromosome, but not express it. If she does, she is said to be a carrier for the trait. Such a recessive trait has a strong chance of being expressed in her male offspring regardless of the genotype of her mate

The "strong chance" is a 50% chance, correct? If her son gets the X with the recessive allele, he will express the recessive trait, if not, then he won't.

Members don't see this ad.

From EK

The "strong chance" is a 50% chance, correct? If her son gets the X with the recessive allele, he will express the recessive trait, if not, then he won't.

I thought a carrier just means that the person has the gene, doesn't matter if the person express the gene or not. As long as the person has that gene the that person is a carrier. Did I get it wrong?

Hey MedPR regarding to a verbal question that I asked earlier, the last comment that I made ive asked a question, I was seriously asking. Cuz my verbal score isn't great. Any words of advice is highly appreciated. Thx

I thought a carrier just means that the person has the gene, doesn't matter if the person express the gene or not. As long as the person has that gene the that person is a carrier. Did I get it wrong?

Hey MedPR regarding to a verbal question that I asked earlier, the last comment that I made ive asked a question, I was seriously asking. Cuz my verbal score isn't great. Any words of advice is highly appreciated. Thx

Yes, a carrier just means the person carries the trait and doesn't necessarily express it. However, if a male carries an X-linked recessive trait, there is no way that he will not express it since males only have one X chromosome.

If the mother is XAXa (carrier), there is a 50% chance that her son will be XAY and a 50% chance that her son will be XaY. So there is a 50% chance that her son will express the trait.