www.futurepsychiatry.com - wow

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vmc303

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever read this? Incredibly fascinating stuff, if you're interested in the philosophical underpinnings of psychiatry.

Members don't see this ad.

jrdnbenjamin said:
Yeah, or if you're interested in Scientology...

Hmm. Are you just saying that after after glancing at the URL, or have you actually read any of the site? It's a pretty erudite review of the history of psychiatry and some of the controveries bound up in it. It doesn't have anything to do with Scientology.

Members don't see this ad :)
L Ron Hubbard Was Mentally Illl And Very Anti-psychiatry. He Also Died A Speed Addict And Much Of The Scientology Cult Is Founded On His Psychotic Delusions. Alot Of Drug Addicts And Homosexuals Are Lured To Scientology Via Substance Abuse Cures And Homosexuality Reversal Therapy..it Is A Cult, They Hate Psychiatry.

One Man's Psychosis Blossomed Into A $$$$$$$$$$$$ Industry.

How did my thread get hijacked by Scientology?

Yeah, a great book that digs into Hubbard's paranoia is "Bare-Faced Messiah." Fascinating read. Especially how he attempted to court psychiatry early on in the development of Dianetics, but, when the APA rejected his theories as being ridiculous, he turned on them and we get the anti-psych stuff out there today.

Hi VMC!
That online book caught my eye some time ago. I don't think I agree with everything I have read this far of the book, but it surely stimulates reflecting on the theoretical basis of our everyday work. I am a resident in psychiatry in Italy, and in my department the word "biopsychosocial" is the answer to anything you might want to ask. In my personal experience, very often these people who refer to Engel's model do not bother to explain how it should inform a new integrated theory of psychiatry regarding specific disorders or treatments, or if integration of different paradigms is possible indeed. That is why seeing some assumptions challenged was refreshing to me. I would love to talk to other residents who live in the US and share some information about clinical work, how they do research,or even their view on the theoretical basis of psychiatry. I think I will start a thread on that one of these days. For now, should anyone be interested to contact me my e-mail is in my profile.