WV licensing (DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Modoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm trying to get my initial independent license with the WV osteopathic board (never been licensed in another state) before fellowship, and looks like they have two odd requirements to get licensed.

1. have PGY 1 year AOA recognized
or
2. attend an ACGME PGY 1 residency and obtain 40 CME credits (10 of which have to be hands on OMT)

Now, I did a surgical prelim year (advanced anesthesiology residency) and per their standard for osteopathic PGY 1 for gen surg I would need 2 months of IM to have my internship recognized by the AOA (which I don't have because it was a 100% surgical year). So seems like that's not an option. I have not attained any CME credits as I am still in residency.

My question is, are these requirements for renewals or also for initial licensure? anyone have experience with this? Id hate to have to obtain 40 CME credits before fellowship starts. Is the AOA recognition of PGY 1 year very stringent requirements per curriculum or can they be tangible with this? Do residents on a learning license even get CME credits?!

This seems to have something with "resolution 42" - never even heard of this until now

Thank you all in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I'm trying to get my initial independent license with the WV osteopathic board (never been licensed in another state) before fellowship, and looks like they have two odd requirements to get licensed.

1. have PGY 1 year AOA recognized
or
2. attend an ACGME PGY 1 residency and obtain 40 CME credits (10 of which have to be hands on OMT)

Now, I did a surgical prelim year (advanced anesthesiology residency) and per their standard for osteopathic PGY 1 for gen surg I would need 2 months of IM to have my internship recognized by the AOA (which I don't have because it was a 100% surgical year). So seems like that's not an option. I have not attained any CME credits as I am still in residency.

My question is, are these requirements for renewals or also for initial licensure? anyone have experience with this? Id hate to have to obtain 40 CME credits before fellowship starts. Is the AOA recognition of PGY 1 year very stringent requirements per curriculum or can they be tangible with this? Do residents on a learning license even get CME credits?!

This seems to have something with "resolution 42" - never even heard of this until now

Thank you all in advance
Just call the board and ask them. They are more helpful than you are probably assuming.

cme credits can be earned by anyone usually for free. if you have an UpToDate license through your hospital (almost all of them do this) you rack up credits every time you look something up.

Reactions: 1 user
Just call the board and ask them. They are more helpful than you are probably assuming.

cme credits can be earned by anyone usually for free. if you have an UpToDate license through your hospital (almost all of them do this) you rack up credits every time you look something up.

Also doximity offers 30hrs/yr of CME for free.